backwritten some nights i hardly sleep when i'm alone // dev.

IS IT OVER YET - CAN I OPEN MY EYES?
periwinklepaw | 04 months | demi-boy | he/they | physically easy (pacifist) | mentally easy | attack in bold #ccccff

He's finally an apprentice now. He is no longer periwinklekit but periwinklepaw, no longer a kit with no other worries than to eat, sleep, and play. The heavy weight of expectations and responsibilities now rests upon his shoulders. His paw steps are soft on the grass covered ground as he strides forwards and towards the medicine cats den. Dandelionwishes den. what was, very briefly, his den. He wishes it still was. Healing has never interested him - certainly, he sees it's importance, but he wants to hunt and provide for his clan - provide for his family. It is only the other half of his future warrior duties that he objects to after all. The den is dusty and as sharp smelling as ever - making his nose wrinkle as he holds back a sneeze. He has somewhat fond memories of this place. And, he supposes, some he's less fond of.

He's here for a reason though, he reminds himself, shaking his head as though doing so will make his mind any clearer. His nest lay abandoned in the corner of the den, tucked aside and out of the way. Soft grass and cushiony moss are woven together into the perfect form for his slim figure, patches of cleaned rabbit fur and even some of his own (and perhaps some of his families, but admitting so feels a bit creepy) tucked throughout. It holds reminders of some of his fondest memories, keepsakes and gifts. A scattering of dried flower petals, a particularly smooth and shiny stone, a sleek black feather. Mementos and gifts that mean the world to him.

Slowly, carefully, he pulls and tugs it towards the rest - towards where the others sleep. Some of his clanmates do without, but he doesn't want to let go of this piece of his past. It's to important. he places to the side - he doesn't sleep often anyways, and he can always creep a bit closer if the need for more warmth arises. Soft paws gently fluff and tuck his nest, carefully preening and primping it until it's just right.

Weary from a day full of stress and a sleepless night past, he slips down into the pillowy softness, his eyes suddenly feeling quite heavy. Surrounded by the scents of his loved ones, of his family and friends, Peri finds only comfort and contentment. It only takes another few moments of sleepy blinking before he's out like a light - soft breaths the only sound as the sunset beats down above him. Perhaps he'll finally manage to sleep through the night.

// Advent Prompt Day 3 - Cozy