private diamond on the inside — apology

Gravelsnap has had quite a bit of time to think about things. To consider their own actions, and weigh their choices. They have had time to rest, to recover from their tail-kicking at the claws of a RiverClan apprentice. They have always been certain that they are a WindClanner, no matter how they began their life. Lynxtooth had his reasons for bringing them here, and they won’t squander his efforts to make them the best warrior that they can be. But does being a good warrior, a perfect soldier for Sootstar, have to come at the cost of making themself hated by others, even within their own clan?

They’ve been harsh and rude in the past, and not only to the other clans—they’ve treated their own clanmates with such cruelty. They’re friends with Firefang, a warrior for Sootstar, so it’s a given. A requirement. And besides, the weaklings deserved to be punished for the dirty tricks they pulled on Firefang, putting thorns in her nest, in her safe space. The most underhanded tactic, a prank that could have had far more serious consequences. What if she’d lost an eye? They want to snap and snarl every time they recall the way that Dazzlepaw spoke to the dark-furred molly.

But they’re a warrior now, and butting heads with Azaleapaw and Dazzlepaw feels a bit too much like striking down on an opponent who can’t fight back. It feels childish, silly. And he hadn’t only flung insults at those two—Periwinklepaw was a part of it all, too.

Azaleapaw was right about one thing: Gravelsnap knows how to spit venom and he knows how to do it well. He says things in the haze of high emotion, and sometimes a cat he cares about gets caught in the fallout. He’s reminded of the look on Periwinklepaw’s face when he’d called the apprentice worthless, unworthy of being a WindClanner. He’d made the apprentice call themself selfish. (And all in the name of what? Jealousy? He certainly feels jealous now, with that little red-furred rat getting close to Periwinklepaw, taunting Gravelsnap with snide little glances. Like he and Periwinklepaw aren’t friends anymore, like Dazzlepaw can be a better friend. It’s impossibly frustrating.)

He feels shame seeping into his chest. It’s unbecoming of a warrior like him to be caught up in dramatics with apprentices, when he hasn’t been a direct target of their actions. He needs to act like an adult now, because he is one. And sometimes acting like an adult means sucking it up and seeking out a certain black and white apprentice for a chat.

He finds the other after a short while, and after ensuring that they aren’t joined by either of their friends, Gravelsnap approaches. His gait is all wrong, not confident as he’d hoped, but he comes to a stop beside the taller WindClanner and clears his throat. "Periwinklepaw." His voice is brittle, strained with the effort of keeping his weight carefully balanced on three paws. He hopes that the apprentice won’t turn him away or refuse his attempt at reconciliation. "I have something important to tell you. Can we talk?" His gaze drops to the ground; he should have brought some kind of peace offering. A rock, maybe, or something from the prey pile.

// @Periwinklebreeze.
[ DEATH OF A DREAM ]

STEADY THE RIGHTS AND THE WRONGS
periwinklepaw | 08 months | demi-boy | he/they | physically easy (pacifist) | mentally easy | attack in bold #ccccff
Confined to camp as his is, it is not all too hard to find the boy. An ever present face around camp, only flitting about from task to task in order to keep his mind off the gnawing hunger and growing frustration. Starclan-curse firefang - he'd rather starve than have to eat what she says. Caught up in his petulant musing, he almost misses the older boys approach - clear blue eyes flicking up to meet hazel, the weariness replaced with a happy sort of excitement before he even realizes it. "G-gravel-snap!" he says cheerily, easily greeting the other as though nothing is out of the ordinary.

Head tips to the side in curiosity as the newly named warrior continues to speak, and he glances about. Gravelsnap seems upset after all - maybe something else has happened. Perhaps he doesn't want to be friends anymore? Ears droop slightly and he nods, scrambling to his paws and making his way to the edge of the camp where it's quieter - where they're less likely to be overheard. "I c-can't leave c-camp for another few d-d-days... b-but this sh-should be p-private enough.... right?" he says, words coming slowly as he tries to force his jaws to work despite his panic and overthinking. He doesn't want to make a spectacle of this if its what he fears.

He'd been doing better right - he hadn't stirred up any trouble since returning from his final goodbye, hadn't bothered anyone but himself. He was trying to be a good windclanner, in the only way he knew how. He'd put on a smile and everything.

Gravelsnap’s eyes crinkle, pleased, when the apprentice says their new name. It sounds so good from the mouths of their clanmates, and the black-patched warrior is glad that Sootstar gave them a good name. Periwinklepaw looks concerned, moves quickly to hover near the edge of the camp, and Gravelsnap hobbles after them. His movements are slow, and he settles onto his haunches in front of the other cat. "Here is fine," he says with a sharp nod. Periwinklepaw looks nervous, a noticeable stutter to their words, and the warrior attempts to look reassuring. His face twists into a smile, shaky as it may be, and his ears tilt in the apprentice’s direction.

It seems Periwinklepaw doesn’t hold any sort of grudge against them, but they just feel… guilty. They’d taken the kindness of their friend—hesitant as they are to call the black-pointed cat a friend—and thrown it right back into their face. They let out a heavy sigh, hazel gaze dropping to the ground. "I called you weak and useless. I said you don’t belong in WindClan." That was the most harsh part of what he’d said, he thinks—telling Periwinklepaw that they didn’t belong in the clan was definitely a misstep. It was a hurtful thing to say, and all because he had wanted to impress Firefang, a warrior and his friend.

"I want to… apologize. You are my friend, but I’ve not been a good friend to you. I’m sorry for being cruel." They dip their head to Periwinklepaw, unsure where to go from here. They’ve never had to apologize to anyone before—are they meant to keep talking? Should they leave now?
[ DEATH OF A DREAM ]

STEADY THE RIGHTS AND THE WRONGS
periwinklepaw | 08 months | demi-boy | he/they | physically easy (pacifist) | mentally easy | attack in bold #ccccff
An apology is the last thing periwinklepaw expects. Gravelsnap has always seemed to hold them a bit at a distance - taking firefangs side as often as not, boldly saying the harsh realities of the situation even when it hurts. Yet, that's never made them seem less of a friend in the boys eyes - just, different. A fair weather friend. And yet - he is just as much at fault. If it was such a big deal, why hadn't he just.. left. Why did he still seek out the newly named warrior even now, why did he continue to get his hopes up.

As he listens in silence, his nervous smile falters. That conversation is a sore point for him - his actions afterwards more so. He will never see his mother again, and if he does it will be as enemies on the field of battle. But- "Its... w-well, it's n-not fine b-but... I'm not upset," he says quietly, slowly. The words are hard to put together - he's never been the best at expressing himself ither. It often comes out wrong or all jumbled up, or worse spilling out without thinking. Brows furrow in thought for a moment before he carries on, jaw working slowly. "I- ... y-you only said what everyone was th-thinking. E-even me... and... i th-think it was s-s-some-thing I n-needed to hear said out l-loud... but... j-j-j-just bec-ause i'm d-different doesn't make me any l-less a windclanner,"

Turning her words into his own leaves his chest feeling lighter - as though a burden has been lifted. Its a strange realization to him - that he actually believes the words he's saying. A more genuine smile upon his maw this time, the boy goes to brush his flank against gravelsnaps in a friendly gesture. "A-anyways, Ap-p-pology accepted!" he says cheerily, trying to lighten the mood the best he can. He's gotten his closure - now he wants to focus his remaining days on being happy and being better.