A GOOD SONG NEVER DIES | settling in

SFOGLIATELLA

III. THE EMPRESS
May 18, 2024

"Che bello! What a lovely house you Skyclan cats have. Did you build it all yourselves?" The trilling voice of Sfogliatella cut clear through pallid conversation, like a tremulous quaver of a windswept leaf, though an impact upon the grander strings of noise regardless. In her search for her sister, the kittypet had been much too eager to step into the domicile of the wildcat - the house, as she had termed it. Rushing past a limping leader and sure-footed warriors, the longhaired Maine coon wasted little time in getting what she wanted. Whether it be tendrils of gossip at the end of ropes or morsels of meals at the frays of bowls, she always got she wanted. The world was her oyster, after all. The rose-gold bell upon her collar jangled to match the beat of a skipping gait, as though the rhythmic churr of the young morning, of portent birdsong and of rising hums. Obstrusive as it was, it remained at the base of her neck like a trusted companion, a souvenir and a reminder of home. Turquoise eyes traveled towards the fresh-kill pile, orotund features never dulling in the splendor that streaked through cream sepia coat, almost in the manner of a curious predator catching upon the source of a newly-kindled wonder. "Is that your food...? It doesn't look like it could feed all of your clan." Was that all they ate in the forest? She couldn't help but think it was rather slim pickings for cats who had to fight and hunt and whatnot.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- Falcongaze had not been there when this character of a cat had been allowed into their home- but he had seen how she moved, effected the camp. His ears flattened backwards, blue eyes staring towards offensive bell jingle, then an over-excited set of eyes. He inhaled quietly, pinpricks running down his side as he gathered himself. Breathe, Falcon.

Mind you, he had never been a kittypet. Falcongaze had grown upon scraps, from the bed of sewers that his mother had him in, where he was whisked away from that life and placed into the hands of Skyclan. What was settled on the pile was enough to feed, especially during near greenleaf. "If you aren't overfed, it's more then enough." Perhaps he had become callous in wake of Cherryblossom's promotion- how could he not? His head turned towards the nests, and he tilted his head forward as he answered that question as well.

"The dens were made from... natural happenings, but strengthened with our own paws." His head swung back towards the Maine Coone- no, he wasn't as tall or stocky, but the oriental heritage in his body gave him long enough legs to be nearly eye-to-eye with her.
  • "speech"
  • DnLL8mM.png
  • FALCONPAW 🌧 he/him, apprentice of skyclan, thirteen moons.
    LH chocolate lynx point with deep blue eyes, and a long scar on his left cheek down under his jawline. pushes his 'hair' back. very long legged, half oriental moggie.
    mentored by greeneyes / / mentoring no one
    padding after lupinepaw / / brother to spottedpaw and sagepaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by dallas ↛ dallasofnines on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

❀‿ Lupinesong was not oblivious to the way other clans looked upon Skyclan for their... openness. She heard, through the reverberating chatter after the border scuffle, of Thunderclan justifying their blatant prey-stealing with condescending crows of "They'll just get food from their twolegs anyhow." She herself was quite aware of the fact that she was the daughter of two kittypets, Skyclan by birth but not a wild cat by heritage, and it wasn't a point of shame to her. She did often wonder if it was one for her mother, though, as she remembered her toiling to contribute to the clan as if she had something to prove ...

She did find it odd, and rather frustrating, to hear Falcongaze treat a newcomer with a shortness she attributed to a lack of grace. He himself was not forest-born, and she hoped his callousness was more due to an unlucky hunting day than the reverberations of kittypet-resentment rippling through Skyclan from the outside pressure. She padded up to his side, brushing her cheek to his in a habitual show of affection and murmuring under her breath, "Be kind..." Lupinesong straightened, glancing at him sideways in a silent question, was something upsetting him recently? She would admit to have retreated into herself briefly following the deaths of Mottledove, Applefrost, and Dandelionwish, focusing on herself and in supporting Cherryblossom as she juggled the loss alongside her new responsibilities. So she was quite ignorant to whatever would be upsetting him as of recently.

"I'm happy to hear someone appreciate our camp, we work very hard on it..." Lupinesong purred, offering the—very gorgeous, by the way—newcomer a smile. She only hummed at the comment toward the prey pile, and Falcongaze's retort, "I think a hunting patrol will be returning shortly with more prey... But yes, prey isn't so much a problem today, but when it is, it's important to know that our kits, queens, and elders are fed before everyone else."

"I'm Lupinesong, by the way. And this is Falcongaze," The maine-coon mix stood somewhere between the two in height, "Are you settling in alright?"

• OOC:
  • cpj5ve.png
  • lupinekit . lupinepaw . lupinesong
    — trans she/her. 14mo warrior of skyclan. formerly mentored by dandelionwish, padding after falcongaze
    bobbie x duke. littermate to crowsight & drowsynose. older half-sister of hollykit, lionkit, and candorkit
    — a tall, pretty, long-haired black smoke with low white and green eyes
    — smells like sweet lupine flowers and young pine needles
    "speech", thoughts, attack
    — fullbody by pikaihao and funnyguy by pin
    — penned by eezy

We only hunt enough to feed our clan, you'll learn about it in the warrior code when you get mentored on the clan ways.” Emberpaw would state as she makes her way over and allows an fiery gaze to cast over Lupinesong and Falcongaze. The comment from the lynx point makes her mouth sour and her nose scrunches before composing her behavior once more, an sigh parting her lips. “Skyclan has spilt blood and tears creating it to its glory today. Thank you for the compliment on our home.

A long lion tufted tail flicks as she glances over the newcomer of Skyclan, an gaze carefully observing them. It ranged from everything— the color of her eyes and coat, her height, the faint tingle of her collar and other assortments. Ember took certain aspects of others and remembered them by in especially in case of emergencies or if she ever forgot, and stockpiled it in the back of her mind. “You'll probably deal with snarky comments here and there— but don't mind them. As long as you handle your weight and follow the rules and code, you'll be good.” The apprentice would warn in advance in case she encountered the typical kittypet haters (such as Slate, Chrysaliswing or some others).

With that warning being advised to the new daylight warrior, an ear would flick as she clicked a claw on the dirt. “The name is Emberpaw, if you ever need help or have questions.” Emberpaw would murmur as she finally formally introduces herself to the soft colored feline— an exact opposite of herself. Sfogliatella was light colors and seemed to match her name, however, Emberpaw was the embodiment of her appearance. A dark fiery chocolate coat with eyes that reflected the roaring flames themselves and personality.

Though Twitchbolt didn't bear fangs and claws against newcomers, he did view them warily every time there was a new one... someone curious about their way of life, willing to learn but more often than not clueless about the actual hardships. And... their intentions needed to be parsed, of course. He watched for the safety of SkyClan... the number-one priority, always. Ever would Twitchbolt be in debt to what daylight warriors and those born outside of the Clans could give to SkyClan; their unique talents, their intimate knowledge- thus, he wouldn't be unfriendly.

Making jittering approach, the patchwork tom dipped his head in a silent hello, decorated with a shaky and half-sincere smile. "There's- there's not much I can offer you, since Emberpaw's covered it all," he joked, tone hoarse and raked, though still sparked with praise. In truth, he was impressed with Emberpaw's attentiveness. "Welcome, though. Uh- name's Twitchbolt."
penned by pin ✧

Howlfire had been present when the newcomer had arrived at their borders and Orangestar had eventually welcomed them to the clan. Like Twitchbolt, she is not hostile to new joiners, especially if they genuinely come across as nice and wanted to fit in. She was always cautious about getting too close at first, not knowing whether they would become a permanent member of their clan or a daylight warrior, or whether they would leave them once they had grown tired of life in the forest.

The chocolate torbie hovers nearby, listening with a small smile as Sfogliatella commented about camp. Well, you couldn't fault her eagerness at the very least. "I think the apprentices pretty much covered all your questions," Howlfire chuckled. "I'm glad to see you settling in alright so far though!"

"Also... the prey in the forest isn't much like kibble." The long-limbed Daylight Warrior moved closer to Sfogliatella, their eyes wide at the sight of a stranger in their midst. Her origins were obvious, but the little jingle of the bell (whenever she moved in a certain way) gave Momowhisker pause. No one had mentioned the problems with such a thing yet, and in front of a variety of clanmates, Momowhisker did not want to be the first (silently, he would remind himself to seek the larger feline out once the crowd had died down). Only a few in his home truly hated those of outside origins, but he did not want to give tolerant cats a reason to doubt their integrity by pointing out Lia's prey-scaring accessory. "It goes off... turns bad. If we had too much all the time, I think we'd be feeding more maggots than SkyClanners," he chuckled lightly, lingering by Howlfire as he got a better look at the stranger. Her accent was an interesting one; the words he understood, the inflections seemed different. Blatantly kittypet ('house' was a word that confused wildcats, he'd learned) but perhaps one that didn't come from the Twolegplace. That would explain why she was a stranger.

A silent 'oh!' exclamation escaped the purebred cat, a sincerity to their awkward smile as he put a striped paw to his chest. "I'm Momowhisker, are you staying full-time or are you a Daylight Warrior?" He tilted his head. "Either way... let me know if I can help you with anything. The world's a little different out here, it wouldn't hurt to have a friend to guide you through it."

If you aren't overfed... Sfogliatella's fictitious eyebrows furrowed at Falcongaze's rather blunt manner of speech, as though the tomcat implied her plumpness had come about by her gluttony and not from purls of curling coats of satin, realizing quickly that the decorum of the wild cats was vastly different than that of the housecat. He had also mentioned that their houses - or dens, as he termed it - were crafted from both nature and their own paws. Hm... Are they completely sure that a Twoleg did not at least help? To the much kinder newcomer, the kittypet granted her a smile full in sunlit mirth, like a corona of light foiled upon fleecen features. Introducing the two, with their similarly long-winded monikors, the cream sepia simply lilted her head. Tigrine pelt flashed in her peripheral vision next, seemingly younger than the other two, though even the sleek adolescent found it apt to comment on a polished appearance. Two could play at the game of backhanded commentary, Sfogliatella reasoned, even if it emerged from genuine concerns of wellbeing. "Madonna! I promise you, my weight is the least of your worries. I take much pride in my looks, though I suppose it matters less to those who have little time to preen themselves." She chuffed, and though such insult cracked at her exterior, she hadn't allowed it to drain her of all will.

At least Twitchbolt and Howlfire (of whom she recognized the latter from her first exploits into the pine forest) seemed much more polite, as if they aimed to make up for the uncouthness that turned from younger maws. The kittypet had heard so many stories woven in wire and thorn, of the clan's cats brutality and degeneracy... But with her own sky-azure eyes, she had seen none of what the spools spun. (Were they true falsehoods or simply yarns of gossip spun out? She would have more time to judge, surely.) Momowhisker, who bore a similar collar stubbed in studs and shines, also made a comment of the food here that almost perplexed her. Her food used to grow stale and dry, when even the hardest of ivory teeth could not crumble it to bits. Nowadays, her Twolegs knew better than to leave her with such inadequate pickings. Was it different here? "Thank you for your hospitality, dears. The name's Sfogliatella! I foresee that I may need some help with adjusting, as one may say. Any aid is dearly welcome." The Maine coon purred, ladylike in the way she bated each word before the other, controlled even in the face of the crooning unknown.