camp A THUNDERBOLT IN MINE EYE \ another reflection

It had been days, now, since the fox had been run off. Since Sablepaw, assuring him along the way with hurried and quivering comforts, had helped ferry him into the medicine cat's den. He'd been unable to thank her, then- the agony etched newly in his skin has prevented him from thinking straight. It had only just started to ebb, now, without the aid of sleep and seeds.

Thankfully, his proclamation of I can't see had been one that had not lasted. His vision- most of it- had returned. It had been tears and blood and panic that had blinded him before, but- half of his vision was now obscured permanently, even without the translucent cover of cobwebs. Before he'd even been told there was no way to fix his eye, Fernpaw had been able to tell that something had changed about his field of vision. It had shrunk, made claustrophobic. And now- now the pain had lessened, he could at last see what the fox had done to him. What he'd done to himself.

Fernpaw had not shuffled far from the medicine den, straying only to the river that surrounded camp. He'd not fussed to look around as he had walked, unsure if he wanted to read the expressions of whoever was looking his was. Sunset-painted shoulders heaved with a sigh, a silent prayer in a breath, as he looked at himself.

The wound, his flesh knitted freshly together again, looked tender and easily breakable, but was at least no longer seeping blood from where the fox's claws had cut him. It was a large, jagged scar that cleanly split over his eye, the lid drooping over, quite the contrast to the vibrant wideness of its counterpart. Before he knew it, a shocked blink had dislodged a welling tear.

His ear flicked as he heard the sound of paw steps on grass, a tender approach. "I've- I've ruined..." he began, but the words hitched in his throat before he could finish the sentence. Within him, the small ginger tom could not find the strength of will that had fuelled him into this situation.
penned by pin

In every situation you give me peace
It'd been hard to steer clear of the med den these last few days. Worry fueling her need to go and check up on Fernpaw ever since she guided him back to camp and into Ravenpaw's capable paws. He needed to rest, to heal. But he wouldn't be able to do so effectively with her hovering like an anxious kit. It felt like Cindershade's situation all over again. Unable to do much of anything to fight within the face of danger when it mattered most. But at least she was able to get the ginger tom out alive.

Movement from Ravenpaw's den grasps her attention, revealing the aching apprentice as he ambled over to look into the watery depths below. There was no doubt he stood there assessing his reflection by the time she reached him on soft paws. Breath catches in her throat the moment he speaks up, unable to finish as the words die on his lips. Periwinkle eyes find the ground below, tail drooping at how disheartened he sounded and rightfully so after losing an eye. Her own voice is lost to her for some time, seeking words to comfort to soothe his broken soul. "Nothing," Sablepaw whispers softly, allowing her gaze to trail back up. "You've ruined nothing. You may have lost something, but your future is not ruined."

Several steps bring her side by side with her fellow apprentice as she turns to look at him. "Look at Smokethroat, he too lost an eye in battle, but now he sits as Cicadastar's second in command. You can be just as great too, Fernpaw. I believe that..." Sablepaw murmurs, speaking gentle words of affirmation, gaze genuinely confident that he held untapped potential. "It was a mistake...yes, but you're alive and that's all that matters."
Don't gotta be afraid because you're in the lead

This was a situation where Ravenpaw wished he had the guidance of his mentor. The eye was a delicate organ, and while Ravenpaw knew he ought to feel comfortable with it since Beesong had gone over many instances of their Clanmates losing eyes, when it happened to his friend and the eye remained fixed in place but broken, Ravenpaw felt a tug at his heart.

When he looked up from his nest and saw Fernpaw gone, Ravenpaw heaved himself to his paws and glanced out the entrance to his den. Sooner or later he knew Fernpaw would have to face the visual extent of his injury. Thus, Ravenpaw saw no use in attempting to hold him back from it. Terrible at comfort, he tried to stay away to let Fernpaw grasp the situation himself. Already he could tell the anguish in the orange tabby's movements and voice. Sablepaw arrived with words of encouragement.

"You'll stay with me for a while." He finally spoke from behind the two, his own eyes level. "You and I—and the Clan—we'll make this work for you, Fernpaw." Things had changed, but they had not been ruined.

"Ruined what?" Lilybloom questions, silently coming up behind Fernpaw and Sablepaw.

She had not been there when Fernpaw had been injured by a fox. She had been in camp when his patrol had returned, panic setting in as they realised he wasn't with them. Cats were sent out to find and retrieve him, and when they finally did return Lilybloom felt as though her heart were in her mouth when she saw him. It was like looking at an eerie mirror, watching the past play out in front of her. For a moment she was looking at herself and not Fernpaw. Although it had been uncomfortable to visit him - mostly because of the similarities in their injuries -, Lilybloom had done her best to be there to support and comfort him as was in her nature.

Lilybloom had watched him nervously approach the river, reminded of all the complicated feelings she had felt seeing herself after her own injuries. It hadn't been as bad as she anticipated - the sensation of seeing herself, not the actual injury - but it had still been an adjustment. Sablepaw is quick to flock to her brother's side and offer words of reassurance, all the while Lilybloom nods her head, though neither would have known she was there until she spoke. "You have ruined nothing, Fernpaw," Lilybloom told him, firm but loving all the way. "You are here, alive and healthy, albeit scarred but here all the same and that's what matters. That scar is a part of you now and always will be. It won't be easy to look at it for a while, believe me, I know, but after a while, you stop looking at it as a negative but as a positive instead."

Lilybloom moved forward so she was standing opposite her brother, their reflections looking back at them from the river. What a pair they made in the moment. He, blinded in his left eye, and she, missing her right eye. But they were here and like she had said that was the important thing. "Look at us, Ferny. We both have scars now. These scars...they just show how strong we are. They show that we survived."

Dovepaw's opinion on Fernpaw had soured ever since Hyacinthbreath had been exiled. However, that was not an opinion he was going to voice. Not to him, not to anyone. He might have to Hyacinthbreath, but she was gone. If Ravenpaw confronted him again, perhaps he would have let it tumble out of his mouth in one of his cold, mean tirades—but he had not. So he would not voice it.

It especially was not going to be voiced when the poor apprentice had been the victim of getting his eye torn out. Dovepaw felt a pang of deep sympathy at the news, and felt even worse at the sight of him injured.

"Th-They're right," he supplanted softly. He swallowed unevenly, just as bad as Ravenpaw was at comfort. Though he was an instinctively more emotional person, thoughts jumbled up his process of expressing that—and he was all too aware of how he was being perceived, here. How every action might impact Fernpaw. "B-Besides, you've g-got great eyes. I'm s-sure... I'm sure you c-can still s-see better than... th-than half the warriors." He tries to encourage.

Gillsight remembers how he felt when he’d first laid eyes upon his first scars. The two along his leg, a result of a border skirmish against WindClan. He remembers how upset he’d been at their presence, his stomach twisting at their permanence, the way they broke into night-black fur and interrupted it’s clear sky.

He’d only been an apprentice then, only been an apprentice when the rest of the scars he carries came along, but Gillsight thinks he’s grown into their existence now.

And, while it isn’t an eye missing, while his scars had come from the moors, rather than a fox, he thinks he can understand how Fernpaw feels. A little bit, at least.

I know… I know i-it’s not the same but, I-I have scars too,” he says, though, of course, it’s not a new fact. “I w-was upset with mine too but… they’re right. Th-they just show how strong you are.” The one that sits along his shoulder comes to mind, how he pushed through the pain of the wound - still fresh from WindClan’s invasion - as he ran to retrieve help, as he turned to fight when help never arrived. He thinks that one shows his own strength the most, the pair on his ribs that accompanied it, as well.

Fernpaw, however…

You… Y-you fought a fox,” he reminds him. Not WindClan, not ThunderClan. A fox. A-And, you survived. Y-you must be p-pretty strong to do that.” Stronger than some warriors, even.

Last edited:

Sablepaw was soon at his side just had she had been in their escape from the fox, the sound of battle clamouring behind them. He met jay-blue eyes with his single bright green, the feeble beginnings of a smile hovering upon his face, half-hearted. Still, her encouragement was met with wavering acceptance. Your future is not ruined, she said, and it seemed almost as if she had guessed what was on his mind. As her words of wisdom wrapped, he closed his eyes as a sigh slid through his lips. "You're... too good to me, Sablepaw," he said, unsure if he really deserved how much she apparently believed in his potential. Her sentiment settled oddly in his stomach.

Ravenpaw, too- another shadowed friend, there for him in a different way than the other, mending what was left to mend- expressed that same belief in a not-ruined future. He turned to settle his good eye upon his friend for a moment. "Thank you," and his voice was smaller than it had ever been, "Both of you."

His sister, then... one who had bore a similar injury. Many could show him her face as proof that a scar like that was not life-ending, but... Lilybloom had been capable before that. Much more capable than he. Dovepaw's sentiment- great eyes, he said, even now Fernpaw bore a mangled one- elicited a genuine laugh from the small ginger tom, squeaked and hoarse in his throat. Sight better than some warriors. "Maybe," he said quietly, but it was perhaps clear his heart was not entirely in the agreement. Perhaps he could learn to adapt, though. Better than most warriors, though?

It was Gillsight and Lilybloom's words that prickled the most beneath his fur, peculiar-feeling. They spoke, both, about the strength that scars showed, and... though he usually so readily latched onto words of encouragement, there was something standing in the way of it now. What strength? He had lost.

Fernpaw glanced at his sister's reflection in the water- at Gillsight, seated nearby. Sharp incisors dug into the delicate flesh of his lip. "I don't feel strong." It was a rare show of anything but positivity from the flame-pelted tom, but he held his emotions as plainly as the pattern of his fur. It won't be easy to look at for a while, Lilybloom had said, but Fernpaw could not ever imagine this feeling dissipating. Gillsight assured him that he was strong, but Fernpaw could not bring himself to believe it. Maybe he was brave for attempting it, but he wasn't strong. And what use was bravery without strength?
penned by pin

She hasn’t yet visited her brother—not because she is callous, but because she isn’t sure what to say to him. Fernpaw had been foolish, and he’d paid a gruesome price for it. One of the brilliant emerald eyes he’d grown into has been cruelly torn from him, and what did he have to show for it? Certainly not his warrior name. Iciclefang feels strange as she watches her Clanmates surround him, Sablepaw a dark spot next to Fernpaw’s bright ginger pelt. Her words of encouragement—mixed with Ravenpaw’s, Lilybloom’s, Gillsight’s, and even sullen, despondent Dovepaw’s—seem to make Fernpaw feel better.

He does have one thing Iciclefang does not, though she does not consider this. He has the genuine support of friends who love him for who he is. She would not allow even a fraction of the thought to grace her mind.

Instead, the tortoiseshell approaches on quiet paws. “Brave isn’t a feeling,” she says, eyeing him. “They’re right. Besides, this is your reality now. You’ll learn to live with it.” She glances at Lilybloom. “It wasn’t easy for her, either. It wasn’t easy for Smokethroat at first. You train through it, and you get better.

She shrugs. “It’s all you can do.

[ PENNED BY MARQUETTE ]

ᓚᘏᗢ The gathering of others drew Ratkit's attention, especially since they were gathering on the edge of the camp. She shouldn't intrude, shouldn't be part of the conversation, and some part of the young child's brain knew that, but she couldn't help but come over, listening to the last of the conversation. "You're like, super strong Fernpaw!" She'd pipe in at last, offering the older feline a smile before hopping onto her toes. "You fought a fox and you came back and you put up with the smelly things Ravenpaw has, that's super strong!" Just thinking about the potential smells Fernpaw had to put up with made Ratkit scrunch her nose.

… . . ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ [penned by tikki]

˚⊹ COME ON MAKE ME FEEL ALIVE ⊹˚
stalkingpaw | 08 months | polygender | any pronouns | physically easy | mentally medium | attack in bold crimson
Stalkingpaw is probably one of the worst cats to try and comfort someone, but try she does. Green eyes follow her sister as she joins fernpaw, and at first she can only listen in as the others speak - she's never been that eloquent, always putting her foot in it when she tries. But - "Yup! I bet you'll be way better than most warriors - and besides, I think it actually looks cool," though, perhaps that's just her strange taste in things speaking. She can't imagine what it must of been like, felt like - face to face with such a nasty creature. She hopes she'll never have to. But honestly, there's way weirder or less pretty scars to walk away with - instead, fernpaw looks strong. It's proof he lived, survived, won. Well - sort of.