private a world of loss // sunflowerpaw

Friendship is... hard, when half of a duo is hurting so bad. Cottonpaw is adamant that Sunflowerpaw isn't deserving of loss and grief, and yet they've been gifted the horrible gift twice over now. The first time, Cottonpaw sort of let her friend process on their own - the whole family was shot by Snowfeather's death but frankly it wasn't any of the grey apprentice's business. But Vulturemask... Vulturemask was different. Even Cottonpaw felt something towards him, though more often than not he was simply annoyed with her.

Nonetheless, while her heart aches, Sunflowerpaw's must be shattering over and over. She wants to do something to help her friend feel better, even if only for a moment, however she hardly knows what to do. They can't tunnel together, given the mottled apprentice's now towering stance. Cottonpaw is admittedly too anxious to visit borders on her lonesome (not to mention, Scorchstreak has likely revoked that privilege.) She runs through dozens of options before finally settling on one and seeking out the other apprentice.

"Hey, Sunflowerpaw?" she spies them lingering about. She can hardly parse their normally neutral, curious expression from the distress that plagues them. "Y'wanna go on a walk with me? I wanted to find flowers, for Vulturemask's grave. You knew him better than me, though - I don't wanna give him somethin' he'd hate," she tempts a smile, tail swishing behind her.​

————— ☀ —————
YOU ARE THE DAYLIGHT

Something has changed in Sunflowerpaw, in the wake of Vulturemask's death. A bit of the light which the apprentice carries has dimmed, the flickering flame beneath their stony exterior growing weaker. A bit of truth has crept into the blankness of their expression, bright-eyed curiosity leeching away. And they, themself have retreated; never the social type, but now more withdrawn than ever.

The whole Clan was against Vulturemask, it seems. They bear the burden of mourning alone.

Except... Maybe not completely alone. It's easy to forget, with most seeming to greet their half-brother's death with eagerness, that not all held such contempt for the medicine cat. Nor for his sibling; there are others who care for Sunflowerpaw, though the cloudiness that plagues their life in the wake of loss makes it hard to see.

Here, as they space out in the camp, is Cottonpaw. Sunflowerpaw's gaze looks more through her than at her for a moment, registering the words distantly. And then— Something softens, near-imperceptibly, in their blank expression. "Mm," they hum in affirmative, giving a small nod.
YOU ARE THE NIGHT
————— ☀ —————

• // sorry for the late reply!! ^^;
  • SUNFLOWERPAW named by their half-brother vulturemask after his friend and mentor.
    — they/them, 9 moons.
    — windclan apprentice, mentored by houndthistle.
    — reserved yet loyal, distrusts most. rarely speaks.

primary character, high activity. penned by saturnid.​
  • "SPEECH"
  • 64267309_IEuvGOmxnhCCLcz.png

Last edited: