camp AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGMENT ✧ moving into the nursery

It’s cold today; Iciclefang’s breath puffs before her as she works. She can deny it no longer—she’s no use on patrols anymore. Her movements are clumsy and awkward as she attempts to hunt; her mind is distracted, filled with agonized cries of Iciclefang, wait! Paws that have sheared through flesh and fur in the heat of battle, paws that have churned waters in dangerous places, paws that have built and destroyed and crunched through prey are now carrying her protruding body toward the nursery. It’s smaller than the warriors’ den, cozier, denser. As she sways toward its opening, paws rolling her dismantled nest, from her mouth dangles a small blue-gray object that muffles her grunts.

Even now, her foolishness prevails. She cannot leave it behind. It will be the only warmth in her nest before the kits come, nothing but a memory, a ghost of a silhouette that will snake around her and drown her precarious memories.

A white-dipped paw begins to flatten the moss she’s rolled up. She drops the stone on top of it, looking around her with blinking blue eyes. She had been so excited to move into the warrior’s den, never minding that she’d left her littermates and her peers behind. Now she has given it up—given it up, and for what?

Paws that have bruised and battered, paws that have held a lover’s weight, paws that have scaled pines in the mountains and sheer cliff faces—they rest gently on a softly swelling middle. “The things I do for you,” she mutters ruefully, settling on her flattened circle of moss.

• ooc: takes place right before the battle with the rogues!
  • image0.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 21 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring Cicadapaw ; previously mentored n/a
    — riverclan lead warrior / queen. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

—————————————————————⊰★⊱————————————————————

Not having one of his best warriors (perhaps he is a touched biased) during the battle admittedly made him more nervous than he would ever admit but at the same time it was nice seeing Iciclefang take the initiative to remove herself and move into the nursery without having to be scolded or reprimanded for refusing to like several cats in the past had. At least Hazecloud had been, begrudgingly, well-behaved. He had overheard his former apprentice had stomach issues one day but had not really made the mental connection it was because of this, why would he? She had never shown an interest in anyone after Ashpaw and that felt like so long ago it might as well have been another life. Smokestar faintly wonders who the father was, but just as quickly stops thinking over it at all. Lichentail having sired Hazecloud's litter was not common knowledge, he only knew because his deputy told him directly to own up to her lapse in judgement. At least these kits would be born when the snow melted and the cruelty of winter eased. They came from a strong family line (disregarding the mysterious other parent) and he had high hopes for them.
"Suppose I'll be taking over Cicadapaw's training then." The dark tom remarks as he approaches, "Do you need anything? I know several apprentices with energy to burn." Moss gathering was Otterpaw's favorite thing to do!

• OOC can go here.

• 57913530_r2t3y4lghl4FDra.png
    Smokestar
    —⊰⋅ Leader of RiverClan
    —⊰⋅ He/Him
    "SPEECH", 'THOUGHTS', ATTACK
    —⊰⋅ Black tom w/vitiligo & one orange eye.

• Haha
Reactions: Marquette

Since Ravensong had told Iciclefang in the privacy of the medicine den that she was pregnant Moonpaw had been doing her best to keep an eye on the other subtly, not saying anything or going over to make conversation that she normally wouldn't make, but making sure that she was healthy, that she wasn't getting sick. The apprentice had no experience in this phase of pregnancy, had no idea when enough was enough or when to finally let it be known that the other was pregnant to their peers so that she would stop going out in the territory and go into the nursery. As the days went on she contemplated asking her own mentor, see when he thought was best to say something, but he hadn't so far therefore there was no reason to worry and as the slowly healed apprentice watched the lead warrior gather her things from her nest and move them into a new one in the nursery she knew that she didn't have to worry and that despite the fact she knew Iciclefang enjoyed being a warrior that she knew what was best and when was a good time to go to the nursery.

"I bet they're going to be wonderful." Moonpaw would offer the other as she quietly pad over, offering the two there a small smile before finding herself looking to Iciclefang once more, "Hopefully the kits let you rest until you have your own." A soft musing and by her town it was evident it was a small joke. Smokestar's kin were old enough to be more respectful of other's wishes of wanting to be left alone now, and Hazecloud and Lichentail's kits were still so young that they had yet to get to he nosy phase yet.

• 76563872_jZr368yA5Er3eOs.png
    MEDICINE CAT IN TRAINING;
    FLESH WOUNDS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ INFECTIONS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ACHES & PAINS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ILLNESS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BREATHING ISSUES
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ TRAVELING HERBS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BROKEN BONES
    ꕥꕥꕥ KITTING
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ POISONS
  • 77806169_foypYeOV3SOXMfq.png
    SH white masking cinnamon torbie w/orange eyes & small ears
    speaks softly & often found humming
    9 moons old; ages the 17th every month
    homosexual homoromantic ; interested in beepaw & redacted
    currently being mentored by ravensong
    easy to befriend/interact with ; hard to anger/upset
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    easy in combat unless in water, focuses on defensive tactics
    peaceful powerplay allowed

I'VE LEARNED LOVE IS LIKE A BRICK — Truth be told, it still almost felt like it was a practical joke for Iciclefang to be pregnant. As she had learned more about each of her clanmates, Swiftfire had occasionally considered which ones might make good parents once upon a time, but Iciclefang had never really been at the front of that pack. Not even because she felt like the lead warrior would make a bad parent, but because it seemed like such an enormous ask to say that she'd have to stay in the nursery for quite some time as they grew. Even Moonpaw seemed like a more obvious eventual parent, an ironic thought considering the medicine cat apprentice wasn't even allowed to have any kits of her own.

Regardless of whether or not Iciclefang seemed suited for the nursery, though, those kits were here - and they weren't going anywhere. That was why it was such a relief to see her actually retiring to the nursery, Swiftfire's gaze sympathetic as she approached. She wasn't even one to rush around as frantically or to push herself as hard as Iciclefang, yet she couldn't imagine the weight of being stuck in the nursery instead of attending to one's warrior duties. Especially now, with the - hopefully - final fight against the rogues that had been terrorizing them lingering on the horizon. One could only imagine the fury the tortoiseshell must have been feeling over missing it.

Swiftfire could only hope that that aggravation wouldn't end up targeting her as she grew closer.

There was a slightly timid smile on her face as she settled nearby, glancing around the nursery curiously - she hadn't inspected it much outside of bringing prey to the queens, since she had never really needed to. "I bet they're not just gonna be wonderful, but strong too. I mean, look at their mom. We're gonna have a whole new pack of little Iciclefangs." Wasn't that a slightly horrifying thought, actually - though it seemed like the lead warrior might have felt the same way. "Do you know about when they're coming?" Her question was directed half towards Iciclefang herself and half towards Moonpaw, figuring the medicine cat apprentice might also have some idea of when she was due.

• 76635829_9N4qhCxavM25hPX.png
    shorthaired blue and red tabby chimera molly with green eyes
    39 moons old; ages the 1st every month
    bisexual; currently not looking
    daughter of lilou and germaine
    formerly of the ripple colony; loyal to riverclan
    easy to befriend; desperate to improve the former colonists' reputation
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed

image0.jpg
LAKEMOON — me and the devil, walking side by side.
It was a strange thought, Iciclefang in the nursery.
Seeing the young lead warrior silently moving her things out from the warriors den made it all a strange reality. Lakemoon couldn’t say she wasn’t happy for her mates sibling, it was just… surprising to say the least.
The silvery tabby finishes her meal, only paying half attention to the warrior. Lakemoon cannot imagine the brindled warrior would want to be fawned over the moment she has stepped into the nursery- should the tabby even approach? The two had never necessarily been closer than light friends, and it’s not like she could provide the understanding and empathy like Lilybloom would.
Where is Lilybloom?
Cats have begun to gather around the nursery, and now Lakemoon feels as though she might make herself a jackass sitting here any longer with a now finished meal.
Sparing a last wistful scan, the battle-seasoned warrior shifts to her paws, approaching the nursery with a sense of hesitance.
Not fully entering, Lakemoon instead opts to simply dip her head in, acknowledging Smokestar, Moonpaw, and Swiftfire with a curt nod of her head before azure hues settle on the newly designated Queen.
Everyone else has already asked the good questions, what should she even say?
"…Congratulations."

"speech"

Iciclefang lifts her chin and points it in Smokestar’s direction as the RiverClan leader approaches. Cicadapaw. She’d been worried about what would happen to his training after she’s left to sequester herself in the nursery. Relief brightens her expression. “He’ll be happy to train with Beepaw, I imagine,” she murmurs gratefully, dipping her head. Smokestar asks if she needs anything, and she looks ruefully at her rumbling belly. “If you have any slacking apprentices who need some mouths to feed… who knows how many I’m eating for now.” She smiles to herself as she settles into her nest, thinking about the moons ahead where her paws will be idle. She’s not had a day of rest since her apprentice ceremony seasons ago… she does not know what to think about ‘paws fetching her food and clearing her old bedding out.

Moonpaw’s golden gaze finds her, and she flicks her tail in greeting. The young she-cat says she’s sure Iciclefang’s kits will be wonderful. Thoughtful blue eyes trail to her middle. “I hope so,” she says without much feeling. Moonpaw and the rest of them wouldn’t know this, of course, but she thinks of broad ThunderClan shoulders, powerful limbs scaling tree trunks. Thank StarClan for Lichentail and her oddities—perhaps her future kits could get away with some non-RiverClan quirks.

At Swiftfire’s approach, Iciclefang’s expression becomes guarded. There’s frost between the two of them, unspoken tension. The tortoiseshell queen draws her paws beneath her, tucking them tightly. Little Iciclefangs, the rogue says, and her expression softens just a smidge. She’d rather they be little Stormywings, little gray scraps tumbling and squealing near her belly. “I’ll certainly be raising them to be strong,” she answers, her mouth twitching upwards in a poor imitation of a smile. “I’ll accept nothing less.” The rogue warrior asks her when the kits are coming. She murmurs, “Less than a moon, I think."

Paws patter near the entrance; Iciclefang gets a glimpse of silvery-blue fur, of lake-water eyes. Her sister’s mate has come to offer her congratulations—or her condolences, Iciclefang thinks wryly. She gives Lakemoon a long, considering look before nodding. “Thank you. I hear you’ll be welcoming some of your own soon.” Her sister’s pregnancy still leaves a strange taste, metallic and jealous, at the back of her throat, but she tries to force some cheer into her mew regardless. “You’ll be busy, bringing her fish and whatnot.

• ooc: edited because i can't read! <3
  • image0.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 20 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring Cicadapaw ; previously mentored n/a
    — riverclan lead warrior. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dead
Reactions: tieirlys

tags! ₊˚✧ ゚.duckpaw had only met iciclefang a handful of times and she had gotten the impression that the battle-hardened calico was very alike to her mentor mosspool. they had a similar nature; dedicated riverclan loyalists, reputable fighters, feared and respected warriors, but very, very guarded. no emotions to be witnessed, just anger, and maybe a tinge of disappointment. duckpaw would've found them scary in the past, but shadowing mosspool meant that she had just gotten accustomed to being around such closed-off personality types. it was almost a comfort to her now.

duckpaw watches iciclefang now who was padding back and forth across the clearing with her belongings in tow, making a shift to the nursery. she had noticed iciclefang getting bigger these past moons, but was surprised that the she-cat made the nursery transition on her own volition. duckpaw was almost certain that mosspool would've fought anybody that dare suggest she move to the nursery, even in active labour. not that that was a good thing. just like she had learnt watching the petalnose situation play-out, it was a good thing to know the limitations of your body and mind. she was just glad that iciclefang had that sort of sense, a feel for her physical limits. she supposes though, that its hard to ignore when you're pregnant ... she would never say this out loud, but iciclefang had a sort of .... awkward waddle to her gait, with a round belly seeming to hinder her movements. it wouldn't make fo very good hunting, or fighting. duckpaw pads over to the group of riverclanners that seemed to gather around the she-cat, and sits down near the entrance to the nursery. "i can fetch you some fresh moss?" duckpaw suggests, upon hearing the conversation. maybe they would be impressed by her initiative? at the same time, she didn't want to seem like a suck-up. ​

"Moonpaw, where's my prayer for rest?" Hazecloud teased as she overheard her Clanmates, picking scales from her muzzle after having just shared a fish with Smokestar's niece and nephews. She had caught a suspicion about Iciclefang's situation after hearing she had a random bout of nausea with a mysterious, unknown cause. Much like she experienced just a pawful of moons before, but she didn't pry.

Hazecloud was a cat that preferred to have her personal life as inaccessible as possible, and for the most part that was maintained rather well. Hardly many of her Clanmates even knew she and Lichentail were mates nearly two full season cycles before. The same went for her and Rookfang's brief courtship. As far as anyone was concerned Lichentail wasn't even the sire of her kits but took up the role of a mother as they officially became mates. Given Iciclefang was practically the same, it was not difficult for her to accept whatever information the lead warrior shared and dig no further.

"I think kits must be powered by the sun. They'll have me or Apricotbloom up the moment there's light out and on our paws until the moons coming out." Her tone, petal-soft, doesn't sound an ounce apologetic but rather nostalgic. Iciclefang would learn quickly the inevitable chaos of the nursery. If raising six at once, all at different stages taught her is that no single kit is nearly exactly the same, either.

She glanced to Lakemoon and the tortoiseshell reminded her of just how full the den was about to be. "We're going to have a very busy newleaf ahead of us, it sounds."