private all of me changed like midnight // salmon

Sep 23, 2022
*:・゚✧☁ ⋯ Gloompaw is now no stranger to learning. It's merely regimented now, where before she was taught by nature and the flow of camp life. She thinks she's quite capable on her own, but her mentor and the rest of the warriors? Not so much. They didn't see she needed no training, that she could do this on her own. After another unsuccessful attempt at hunting, a scowl on her face, she moves through the territory loudly, twigs snapping and birds flying.

The cat she comes across is familiar, but his name is only remembered in passing-by mentions. Gloompaw recalls seeing him in the medicine den, with injuries that required long-term attention. He'd been there when she was found, and he had remained when she had left. Her sympathy is a dry well, and no reaching would dredge up any large amount, but it truly sucked to have to be healed for so long. Naturally, there was some warriors helping him catch up, but she decides right there and then to help as well.

"Hey Salmonrun!" the blue smoke mink chimes. "A little birdy told me you gotta catch up on some skills. Well, I can help!"

Her frown had lightened into a smile, and she continues, "I'm gonna help the others teach you some skills. Uh..." Gloompaw pauses. She hadn't thought of what skills to help with... "Let's just call it, like, Gloom's common sense class. Are you up for it?"

"A GENTLE BREEZE FROM HUSHABYE MOUNTAIN "

Salmonrun had taken to spending his mornings outside of camp. Not far, the shaking, stuttering nervousness from any time spent out of the medicine den was enough to prevent that, but just far enough away for the camp to be silenced. The voices weren't so loud, the scents weren't as sharp, and the worry that someone would hurt him began to wane. His mornings were the only calm he got.

It never seemed to last for long enough, though. The approach of one of Salmon's clanmates brought today's peace to a close. A grimace of displeasure curled on his lips as he glimpsed the retreating tail of the bird he'd been watching, startled by his sudden turn toward the apprentice. It had been some small, colorful thing, happily pecking about the dirt. Hopefully, it would be able to find what it was looking for.

Gloompaw was quite right in thinking he needed help. Clan life was the tide, and he was rapidly getting pulled in. He didn't understand what she meant by a 'birdy' had told her. He'd never been spoken to by any of the birds he observed. Perhaps he didn't understand them?

" I.. um. " Salmon didn't seem to understand anything anyone said to him so maybe it wasn't just the birds. He could not figure out what common sense classes would entail. " I suppose? "

✦ ★ ✦

*:・゚✧☁"Epic," she drones, though her voice is tipped upwards like a proper teacher, and it makes it less epic. The uncertainty in Salmon's voice doesn't deter her, in fact, it makes her more determined to help out. Plus, her training hours could potentially be waived today, since she was still training -- just on the flip side.

"First, I wanna see how much common sense you have. I need to see what I'm working with." Tipping her head heavenwards, she wonders what exactly to test Salmonrun on. Gloompaw does not admit she isn't the best candidate for teaching this... Squinting so hard her brain hurts, the molly pretends she's got a sudden idea, and interrogates, "Let's start with the easy questions. What colour is this leaf?" Pawing at one of the only unfallen, green low-to-the-ground leaves, she stares at him, feeling like a great mentor already.