all that I am | spar

Tornadopaw

untamed 10-04-23
Oct 1, 2022
If you don't like me, that's your problem
It had been a full twenty-four hours since she'd last seen her parents and while Tornadokit wished to remain optimistic she could not exactly bring herself to believe she would see them again. But that was not the only thing that plagued the realm of her mind. A certain grey hued tom had the gall to deem Snowkit, Typhoonkit and herself some sort of hindrance. As if their mere appearance would lead to this groups demise. The mere notion churned like bile within her stomach, the thought daring to feast away at her confidence. No, not if she could help it, she would prove him wrong. Bright yellow eyes track him from the mouth of the nursery, her maw twisting into a frown as she failed to catch his name at the end of their previous encounter. However, it did not matter, a name was not needed to confront another. With a huff she pushes herself to stand, marching her way right up to the apprentice with a lash of her tail. "Hey you." Tornadokit calls out, her voice naturally gruff and grating. She aimed to convince him, that she was not "just another mouth to feed" and what better way than to fight it out. He was larger and no doubt stronger but the young laperm refused to let that stop her. "Lets spar, you and I. Unless you're scared." Eyes of icy lemon narrow to further wordlessly challenge her opponent.

@GRANITEPAW //You guys don't have to wait for Granitepaw to post first. Feel free to have your characters try to talk her down. Although it won't change her mind because she's stubborn lol
When I let it bother me, that's my problem

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮

Granitepaw is on his way back into camp, paws freshly cleaned in the stream after pressing ticks onto old, smelly pelts, when some child accosts him. He narrows slinky emerald eyes and clenches his jaw. One of the outsider kits, the little curly-furred menace Chilledgaze had thought to pick up and bring back into camp, yells at him: "Hey you."

The gray and white tom meets her challenging yellow gaze and scowls. A spar. He emits a short bark of laughter. "I'm an apprentice," he explains, voice dripping with condescension. "I have better things to do than spar with children. Move aside." He lashes his tail in annoyance.

While she was unsure of what exactly had even prompted this discussion as she had not heard the words spoken to the kits, Turtlenose would frown, as she set her catch upon the fresh-kill pile and made her way over to the pair. While Granitepaw had already shown his disinterest in the matter, Turtlenose was less than thrilled to even consider the fact that an apprentice would spar such a young kit (or any kit for that matter). Glancing between the pair, she’d allow her gaze to hold longer upon the apprentice as she spoke. “What exactly is going on here? And don’t even think about lying to me. I know you know better than to spar a child, judging by how you haven’t started yet. Explain youselves. NOW.” The woman’s gaze would rip away from the apprentice to the child, waiting to see who would speak first. Knowing that Pitchstar would soon enough be coming along, she wanted to have the story straight before giving him her report.

Ah sparring, Tendriltail loved herself a good spar even if she grew rusty at fighting in general. Not due to age, no, of course not... but since the Great War the woman has not had to unsheathe her claws unless against prey. She lacked opportunity to keep her skills sharp. As a rogue it was near everyday her claws came unsheathed.

The woman does not bat an eye at Tornadokit's request to spar with Granitepaw. In fact, Tendriltail wouldn't have even blinked if the gray tom had accepted the child's request, nothing was wrong with a little rough-housing, and Granitepaw wasn't daft enough to actually hurt the child. The different view point is why she finds Turtletail's words so funny, she can't help but let out a wheeze of laughter. Its meant to be more with Turtlenose than at her though.

"Aye, 'urtle, no need to get yer fur in a bunch! Kid said nay, heard it." She informs, aiming to smooth out her fur. "Besides, even if d'hey had sparred... why care? Wouldn't hurt a thing, naught like they'd let their claws loose!"

She steels herself, fully expecting the match to start when her ears were met with rejection. Her face contorts to illustrate annoyed confusion. Annoyed from being turned down and confusion because she had no idea what an apprentice even was. Did this mean she needed to be one too in order to take him on? This added yet another challenge for him to see her as an equal and her list only seems to keep growing. "What's an apprentice? Is that some kind of excuse?" There was genuine curiosity laced within her vocals but she was not willing to step out of his way just yet.

What she did not expect was an adult to come over voicing her disapproval. Turtlenose did not seem thrilled with the notion of play fighting and it showed in the hard stare she gave Granitepaw. There was a sense of nervousness that fluttered around in her belly as she listened to the woman fuss at the ashen apprentice beside her. The feeling only enhanced once Turtlenose turned that gaze upon her, demanding to know the truth of what was going on. "We were only playing, right?" Tornadokit chimed in, doing her best to keep her tone steady and not crack under pressure. Eyes of lemon flicker over to Granitepaw again, soft apologetic notes swimming within their depths. Her goal wasn't to get him in trouble she just wanted to prove herself worthy of his acknowledgement.

"He was just...demonstrating good comebacks for a rival." Tornadokit knew she was lying through her teeth and the guilt made her skin crawl but, she had to look and sound believable. She moves to Granitepaw's side as Tendriltail came forth a relieved ghost of a grin touching ebony lips. The earthen hued woman understood and this gave Tornado the opportunity to open up her own question. "So we could actually spar as long as we're careful?" She asks, gaze flickering between the two.

• Love
Reactions: Marquette
If there was ever the slightest whiff of a good fight then naturally Brawlinglion wanted to be all over it. It didn't take long before the she-cat came prowling round to join the growing crowd, each lured in by the scene taking place. She didn't know the background to the whole situation but she was eager to stoke the flames if it led to a show. "Of course you can spar! Heck, I'll even supervise! Might even teach ya a few moves." She beamed with a grin as she stared down at Tornadokit. It warmed her heart to see such a fire within someone so young. The warrior wasn't keen to have anyone else try to stop it either.

• Love
Reactions: Nazali
dc78ars-d21c7470-3302-495f-86c6-7aa429d039b1.png
whenever there happened to be a crowd forming, possumpaw always gave in to his curiousity and always checked out what was happening. unless he was in comfortable spot then he'd end up spending a good thirty minutes trying in an internal battle of the pros and cons of moving, they usually end up not doing anything or doze off.

the apprentice dragged himself over to see what today had in store for shadowclan, from what he heard it looked like the new kit they recently took in was trying to spare granitepaw. some warriors seemed against it considering the rank differences while others were happy to encourage it.

possumpaw decided he wanted to stir the pot, just a little bit. whether it garnered a reaction or not they didn't fully care. "hehe, i bet two toads that the newcomer wins."
[ penned by cobi ]

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮

He's about to shove Tornadokit aside if he has to, but he freezes as some authoritative voice rings through the camp. Turtlenose stalks her way to where he's standing, holding her narrowed eyes on him and demanding an answer of him. He immediately scowls, grits his teeth. "Explain myself?! I wasn't doing anything. I told her no." He rolls his eyes. Typical. Now he'll be in trouble with Pitchstar, all because some nosy warrior decided she couldn't ask questions before yelling.

But an older warrior approaches, Tendriltail with her strange brown and blue pelt, and tells them there's nothing wrong with sparring. Granitepaw's ear flicks, but he says nothing, glowering at his paws, at the earth. Brawlinglion, too, approaches and encourages the event.

He wants to tell them both to quiet down. He doesn't want to spar with the younger girl. But then she speaks, the little curly-furred devil herself. Speaks up for him, defends him. Demonstrating good comebacks for a rival. He lifts his dark green gaze from the ground, staring at Tornadokit with visible surprise. "So we could do it as long as we're careful?"

He feels some of the tension in his spine loosen. With a grumpy turn of his head, Granitepaw murmurs, "Fine. Thank you." The words are so rushed they sound slurred, but it's the best he can do.

There's almost -- almost a playful spark in his chest and belly when Possumpaw evokes a challenge. "I bet two toads that the newcomer wins."

Granitepaw grins, and it's a rare sight -- sharp white teeth in a chiseled gray and white face that is losing kitten roundness by the day. "I'll take those toads right from you, then!"

He gazes back at Tornadokit, sizing her up, before he settles his gray and white body down and waits. He nods for her to attack him first.

• Love
Reactions: Nazali
would you do anything for me?
On the sidelines as usual, Ravenpaw sat watching curiously. Her tail swayed behind her in careful consideration. Though this little incident was wonderful entertainment, she was altogether unsure who she was rooting for.

On the one paw, Granitepaw had long been a thorn in her side. He was an annoying loudmouth who was nothing but trouble for the clan. Any day on which she could see him get his comeuppance was a wonderful one, and seeing him taken down by an untrained kit would be a pure delight. She could imagine it now, the look on his face as all the clan watched him fall. She had to suppress a purr of delight at the mere thought.

On the other, Tornadokit was the last one she would want to serve him that comeuppance. She was an outsider, and one who had shown less deference to the clan that had saved her life than Ravenpaw would like. It would be an embarrassment to Shadowclan if she managed to defeat one of their trained apprentices, no matter who it was. And, by proxy, an embarrassment to herself.

"I'll bet the same for Granitepaw." She commented coolly to Possumpaw, shooting them a look. It was unbecoming to bet against their own. For Granitepaw, she gave a glance and a nod. However loathsome he was, he was still a Shadowclanner, and he would show this outsider her place.

Reactions: Marquette
There is a newfound rush of excitement that courses through the young kitten as dark ears grasp Granitepaw's fleeting words. He accepted her challenge it seems. Her pelt bristles in response, or as much as it can given her layers of curls, and a smirk graces her own inky lips. "Mhmm..." Tornado hums in response, no need to verbally bring to light the appreciation he just showed her. The fight would be good enough in her eyes. For a moment her gaze falls upon possumpaw as he wagers a bet upon her, his comment stoking the flames of her confidence. He actually thought she could win? Tornado offers the apprentice a thankful albeit curt nod of her head before picking up Ravenpaw's voice. "We'll see about that." She retorts before focusing upon Granitepaw again.

A slow exhale wafts from her nares as she takes a brief second to formulate her strategy. Her father happened to be the main one to wrestle with her on a daily basis, especially whenever her siblings complained about her being too rough. Surly whatever she picked up during their play sessions could hopefully apply here. The grey and white male gives her a nod and she wastes no time the moment his signal is given. Like an arrow finally released from the tension of a bow Tornado surges forth. Attempting to close the distance between them she rushes at Granitepaw head on before pushing off on back legs to leap at him. With forearms extended she intends to clutch onto his neck and shoulders, hoping that the momentum will bowl them both over if she connects.