AND MY HEARTBEAT'S LISCENSE ⛧ periwinklebreeze

Vulturepaw

black rabbit of inlé
Jun 16, 2024

˖⁺‧₊ ☽◯☾ ₊‧⁺˖  "I missed you," says Vulturekit, and his voice is small. "I missed you. I'm sorry." He sniffles, hiccups, wipes a paw across his face. He's going to be strong. He's worried Periwinklebreeze enough.

It is after, and they are curled up in the nursery. All is as it should be, and yet nothing feels like it's ended. It's like he's still running away from plumes of smoke, from the blood between his dad's teeth. They press their muzzle into Periwinklebreeze's side, and wish they could look at his face without thinking of Thriftfeather's neck. It all feels too big and too scary; he wishes, so desperately, that the world could be only this. Soft, smoky fur and the comfort of the nursery, shielded by blooming gorse. Far from the terrible expanse of WindClan's camp, the worse things he now knows are beyond. His words are muffled and mumbled as he speaks. "D-didn't mean t'scare you." He can't stop feeling guilty for all of it. For running, for lying, for feeling so shaky even though he's safe now.

• @Periwinklebreeze.
  • 78719023_Dn5AkWBYFbxxqzb.png

"SPEECH"
  • VULTUREKIT he / they, kit of windclan, five moons.
    a spiky-furred dark tabby with amber eyes.
    skittish and dour, with little time for typical kit games.
    micheal x npc, adopted by periwinklebreeze. sibling to dustkit and bilberrykit.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by SATURNIDsaturnids on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

LIKE A PICTURE IN A FRAME
WISH WE COULD'VE STAYED THE SAME
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
periwinklebreeze 23 moons demi-boy windclan queen
82895788_uPPlp3McehSP0eh.png
With vulturekits return, periwinklebreeze is reluctant to part from their side. He makes no move to pull away from smoke-tabby frame, only curling around his child tighter. " I missed y-you too, " comes quiet reply - barely more then a whisper in the near-silent den. He doesn't want to wake the others - to worry them. A restful sleep is a thing few and far between these days, not only for him but many of windclans denizens. 'D-didn't mean t'scare you, he says, and Peri only sighs, breathing in the comforting scent of his kit. " I know... I kn-know, " he shushes gently - and he does. Vulturekit hadn't meant to worry them - had just been scared. Periwinklebreeze is no stranger to running - he is a coward, though and through. " Did you.... did you r-really escape d-duskclan all on y-your own? " he asks after a moment of silence, ears twitching. Its not that he wants to doubt the story - but still, there is something that niggles at his mind, something about bluefrosts words and vulturekits countenance that doesn't seem... right.

actions & " speech, " & 'thoughts/quotes'
I ' V E - A L W A Y S - B E E N - R E A L - B A D - W I T H - C H A N G E

˖⁺‧₊ ☽◯☾ ₊‧⁺˖  For a moment, there is comfort in the quiet, in feeling nothing but the down of his dad's fur and hearing nothing but a soft heartbeat. Then the queen speaks again, and Vulturekit's heart plummets. He pulls away, wide eyes coming to meet his dad's. He feels like Periwinklebreeze has already seen through him - and why wouldn't he? No one knows Vulturekit better. Caught in a lie - but he made a promise, didn't he? To Thriftfeather, who saved him. "I..." There's a snake around his neck, weight settled upon his shoulders. It feels like at any moment he'll say the wrong thing and the constricting force that fragments his words will turn far too tight. He is not a liar; he has always been to nervous for that. "I'm sorry," he babbles once again, screwing his eyes shut.

He can lie to WindClan, but he can't lie to Periwinklebreeze. This id more important. "I d-d-d... I didn't want to..." he mumbles, lowering his head down to his paws. His eyes peek open again, nervously, to peer up at his dad. He can't imagine them angry... But them, he couldn't imagine them violent, either. "B-buh-Bluefrost said - she said not t-t-to tell anyone. I... I lied. I lied, I'm sorry, I know it's bad, I just -" He inhales, shaky. "D-didn't want him to... g-get hurt again," he finished quiet, mumbled guiltily like an admission.

"SPEECH"

periwinklebreeze 24 moons demi-boy windclan queen
While he had expected - well, something, he hadn't actually expected Vulturekit to break down so suddenly." It's o-okay - sh, it's alright, " comes quiet shooshing noises from the queen as he tries to comfort his kitten, startled by the sudden intensity and tears. 'Bluefrost said not to tell anyone' - why? 'Why would she-' he hardly gets to finish his thought before Vulturekit says something else that catches his attention. With heart beating against his ribcage as fast as a hummingbird and stomach churning with anxiety, tongue rasps against fangs before he voices the question he's not sure he wants to know the answer too. " He? Who... wh-who, V-vulturekit? Who d-didn't you want to g-g-get hurt, "

˖⁺‧₊ ☽◯☾ ₊‧⁺˖  Vulturekit tries to breathe, but it's hard. Everything feels so much harder now. Even Periwinklbreeze's soft shushing feels harsher now. The world has grown jagged points, and it pierces through the thin and filmy shell of courage that Vulturekit wears. They know they should just... Tell him, but the name still tastes like a secret on their tongue. His voice dims to a whisper. "The... the c-c-c-cat that you..." A paw comes up to his neck, then flinches away as he realizes what he's doing.

"Sorry," he blurts quickly, ears pressing back. "Um - he's... you knew him. He said. You... used to b-buh-be friends." The bloodstained cat with fur like the sun's blinding glare. A missing piece of history, returned like a ghost. He steadied himself in time with the ache that accompanies the memory. "His - his name is Thriftfeather. He was... nice t-to me," he says softly. "Helped me find a feather." Even if the feather was just a trick to get him home... He doesn't quite know how to feel about that. He had thought lying was always bad, but... Everything is so much more complicated now.

"SPEECH"

periwinklebreeze 24 moons demi-boy windclan queen
His son stutters out a response, and as paw absentmindedly reaches up to touch black tabby throat Periwnklebreeze realizes with a sudden clarity what he is about to hear. In silence, teeth gripping down and biting into tender flesh of his tongue, he only listens as he speaks the words that in truth, he dreads.

'He said. You... used to b-buh-be friends..'

" I don't want to be your friend anymore and uh — and not anybody else wants to either. " " I... d-didn't think of it th-that way.. sorry, s-sorry, "

The flash of gold fur in the cloud-covered moonlight. The taste of copper heavy on his tongue. Writhing, wriggling, flailing - struggling to escape.

'His name is Thriftfeather.'

" I’m Thrift, " " C-come on kiddo, t-t-time to g-g-g-get that ear f-fixed, "

Thriftfeather had been right. Neither of them had wanted this. Time and again, how is it that things stay the same - how are they still caught up in the same dizzying circles, like a fox chasing it's own tail. The only difference, is this time the places have switched.

' He was... nice t-to me, helped me find a feather. '

" I th-thought you might like this f-feather, it's s-s-super soft and pretty, so you can h-have it f you-d like" " I love it. It's the best — it's uh — I love it a lot! And it's mine! Did you know birds grow these instead of fur? "

Its the startling realization that sootspot is right - that somehow, despite everything he's fought for, all that he's tried to fix things - to be better- the blood that stains his paws is not so different then hers after all. He - what has he done? ' I, for one, try not to carry so many graves upon my back. Pain is inevitable, it is what we do with said pain that matters.'

Body shudders, and Periwinklebreeze can only curl around Vulturekit ever tighter - anxious, struggling to ground himself against the onslaught. He feels ill - bile burns the back of his throat and it feels as though he is swallowing stones with each breathe that forces it's way into tired, tattered lungs. " I- " voice falters, and words fail him in that moment - choked up, it's all he can do to bite back the tears that threaten to fall. " Th-thank you for telling me... b-bluefrost is... right though. We'll k-keep th-this a secret... j-j-just between us, 'kay? N-not... not everyone w-was... is friends with Th-thriftfeather, " he says at last, voice quivering and faltering every few words.

He wishes he'd never asked.

He's glad that he did.