private and now his watch is ended

Nov 17, 2022
Left alone now to his own devices, Ravenpaw sat by the edge of the apprentice den, one paw held up to press the cobwebs to the long, deep scar slashing over his left eye. Naturally, it was made to cover that eye as well, so Ravenpaw was warily getting used to briefly seeing the world as Smokethroat would. The amount of stress and anxiety building up on his faux blindside was enough to make him tense with unresolved anger.

Finally, he could bear it no longer and dug his claws into the bloodied wad. He ripped it from his face, wincing in pain as it tugged at the sensitive, still healing skin. Ravenpaw panted and blinked. He could still see through it. Sniffling, he wobbled over to the edge of the water that rang alongside their camp. Dusk was about to fall, so he had a few moments of light to study the deep wound etched into his face.

Ravenpaw flinched at the image, chewing his lip until the wound there burst too and a trickle of blood dribbled down his chin.

@DARTERWING

(=^・ェ・^=))ノ彡♡ Darterwing would find the green eyed Tom staring at his reflection, the cobwebs that once plastered his face now ripped clean off. She settles down beside him with bits of reed woven into her fur, a smile of pride and adoration growing on her face. ”I heard you fought well, I only wish I could’ve fought at your side to witness it.” She aims to give him a lick in between the ears in an affirming and comforting manner, Darterwing had always been the more affectionate type, sharing-tongues and grooming others came without shame or embarrassment to her.

”How is it healing? It looks like it’s getting a little better.” She notes positively, ”And it makes you look quite ferocious! WindClan will be weary to mess with RiverClan again with you protecting it.” Darterwing knows her apprentice and has a feeling her attempts at comfort and praise will be futile, but still she was always one to try.
— tags

• Love
Reactions: RAVENSONG
He saw her reflection shadowed behind him before she touched him, and still Ravenpaw protested and flattened his ears when he felt his mentor's tongue rasp over his head. Despite the variance in their personalities, Ravenpaw had grown to respect Darterwing through the course of their training. She was like him, a drypaw—giving him hope that he could still contribute to Clan life.

"Ufh—" Ravenpaw mumbled, raising a paw to flatten down the tufts of fur Darterwing had licked. His reaction was just a dramatic. He enjoyed the attention, orphaned kitten as he was. "I beat that WindClan apprentice. I wish you have seen it, yes" He raised his chin up a little higher, glancing at Darterwing and relieved to see approval in her eyes.

His pride is short-lived when he looks at the scar again. His first combat and he still could hardly handle himself out there. Even if he had beaten Gravelpaw, it had not been a particularly worthy fight or one he had won easily. "I want to feel right about it, but I have trouble doing so. I do not know..." He averted his gaze. "I do not know how to explain."

Reactions: DARTERWING

(=^・ェ・^=))ノ彡♡ Darterwing smiles and inwardly relishes the news of her apprentice’s victory. Sometimes the gray and white molly grows self-conscious in her training, what if she wasn’t being a good enough mentor to Ravenpaw? Yet time and time again he proves to be a confident and capable apprentice, a noble warrior in the making. ”I’ll witness one of your victories one day, you have many more to come.” Another praise as she grins with baggy eyes closed.

Yet the mood shifts quickly in the black Tom, she’s spent enough time with him to be able to spot it. He speaks again but averts his gaze, she nods understandingly. ”Well… perhaps I can help you make sense of it. Is it guilt you feel for the pain you’ve caused your opponent?” Darterwing understands this first paw, this was a conflict she struggles with often herself. ”…It’s good to feel this, Ravenpaw. It means you are feline and bear a good heart.” Some warriors may disagree, say this feeling was a weakness, but she thought not. ”Or is this a doubt of self-competency?” She inquires, noting his brief glance to the scar.
— tags

The praise gets to his head. It's only natural, but for too long the apprentice had been craving for some great feedback. Training seemed like a molehill compared to the victory he had in an attack on their camp. He could feel proud about that. Ravenpaw's thin chest swelled up and he unconsciously leaned in closer to Darterwing.

"No, not exactly." He murmured. What was even more strange was that he enjoyed pummeling the black and white WindClan apprentice. He had been terribly angry—it was not meant to be personal but it had been. Maybe if the raid had been under different circumstances, if he hadn't believed Cicadastar's decision to let in Hyacinthbreath was a foolish one, he could have felt some empathy.

He twinged at the remark of being called good-hearted. "Probably more of that... I wonder if I will ever be ready. I do not think I am good at fighting. That was just another cat—same age as me." He blinked and looked up at his mentor. "How did you know you finished everything you needed to be considered a warrior?"