camp another visitor in a transient world } realization

Jan 7, 2024
I'VE LEARNED LOVE IS LIKE A BRICK — The last couple of weeks had been difficult for Swiftfire, and not just for the obvious reasons. The rogues and the deaths - or potentially just one death, and one disappearance - had clearly been plaguing her mind frequently, but that wasn't all she had to worry about. Recently her mood had been different, with dizzy spells striking her seemingly at random as her body loudly found some way to let her know that it was displeased with her. At first she had thought it was merely the blow to the head that she had taken during the seemingly final rogue battle. It made perfect sense to her that such a thing would make her disoriented, and while she didn't know enough medically to say for sure, surely such a thing could mess with your moods too, couldn't it?

But then came the lapses in her appetite.

They were always only brief, sudden episodes of nausea or simply nothingness that hit her as she approached the freshkill pile, with a normally delicious looking piece of fish suddenly being completely undesirable to her. It didn't make any kind of sense, and while she had initially thought it might be another side effect of her head being knocked around - until it just simply didn't fade. Her condition didn't change at all, not even when she'd been forced into checking in with Moonpaw. The worst part though - at least in Swiftfire's eyes - was that even though her appetite kept fluctuating wildly, she kept putting on weight. The former colonist was far from huge or outgrowing her own paws, but there was just that tiniest bit of added chub that couldn't simply be explained away as fluff. At least it didn't seem like she was the only one, considering everyone was eager to regain the weight that they had lost during leafbare's harshness.

Today was when she finally seemed to connect the dots, sprawled out near the warriors' den following an early morning patrol. She had been grooming herself, carefully licking down her half colorful pelt when her nose brushed up against her stomach. The fat there initially caused her to recoil, a huff of aggravation leaving her nose before she paused. The dizziness. Her appetite. Her moods. Her stomach. Once again the world twisted and turned wildly around her, only this time it wasn't because of a strike to the head or the concussion that had come afterwards. This time it was shock, one of Swiftfire's paws slowly trailing down to her own stomach to poke lightly at the fluff there. "Oh. Oh, you... Oh, Starclan." What was she going to do? What was she going to say? How was she going to raise kits - especially on her own?

Her voice came out half as a croak as she pushed herself up into a seated position, rather than the casual display she had been in just a moment earlier. "Has... has anyone seen Moonpaw today yet? I think I need to speak with her..." It was a shame that she'd need to see - their only, at the moment - medicine cat again in the span of only a few days, but at least this time it would be for a slightly happier occasion. Swiftfire may have been filled with panic for now, but that didn't mean she wouldn't be happy once the weight of everything had settled on her shoulders.

• 76635829_9N4qhCxavM25hPX.png
    shorthaired blue and red tabby chimera molly with green eyes
    40 moons old; ages the 1st every month
    bisexual; currently not looking
    daughter of lilou and germaine
    formerly of the ripple colony; loyal to riverclan
    easy to befriend; desperate to improve the former colonists' reputation
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed

Busy. Moonpaw had been busy since the clan had attacked the rogues and ran them out, but even more-so now that Ravensong was missing, hopefully perfectly fine and not somehow at the bottom of the river. He was capable, she knew this, but still she couldn't help but worry over so much, and that worry was multiplied tenfold when she heard her name, heard the familiar voice of Swiftfire as she mentioned needing to speak with her and she could only think of the worst at first. Had she somehow misdiagnosed her before? Was she in more pain and dizzier than she had been when she'd first been sent to the medicine den to get help only a few days prior?

Cautiously the apprentice came closer, looking towards the chimera for just a moment before speaking up. "I'm here... you okay?" It was quiet, eyes looked over the other as she asked this and tried to figure out what it was that she was needed for. When nothing immediately popped out at her the white moggie looked to Swiftfire's face at last, resting there until she'd speak up once more.
  • 76563872_jZr368yA5Er3eOs.png
    MEDICINE CAT IN TRAINING;
    FLESH WOUNDS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ INFECTIONS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ACHES & PAINS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ILLNESS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BREATHING ISSUES
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ TRAVELING HERBS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BROKEN BONES
    ꕥꕥꕥ KITTING
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ POISONS
  • 76807578_J7HAFb99CicY51c.png
    SH white masking cinnamon torbie w/orange eyes & small ears
    speaks softly & often found humming
    9 moons old; ages the 17th every month
    homosexual homoromantic ; interested in beepaw & redacted
    currently being mentored by ravensong
    easy to befriend/interact with ; hard to anger/upset
    easy in combat unless in water, focuses on defensive tactics

—————————————————————⊰★⊱————————————————————

"Has something happened, Swiftfire?" He catches the wavering call for the medicine cats and is immediately alarmed by it. His fur on end, prickling into spiked ridges along his spine as he treks over to the bicolor warrior and Moonpaw's pale figure. His lone orange gaze sweeps over his warrior intently, noting no injury, no sign of blood, scars, bruising of any kind - Swiftfire looked perfectly healthy to his untrained eye. Something inside then? A sickness? He had not heard a cough nor wheeze from her that had been prevalent lately with the increase of pollen for most so whatever it possibly could be was well beyond his scope of acknowledgement. The dark tom stepped back from his harried hovering presence to allow the young medic to examine in peace, his mind whirled with worry - an epidemic of illness? Hopefully not. Yellowcough's rampage through the forest was still a fresh wound yet unclosed. He hoped it was nothing, he didn't want one of their skilled warriors trapped within the healer's den for too long on the cusp of newleaf.

• OOC can go here.

• 57913530_r2t3y4lghl4FDra.png
    Smokestar
    —⊰⋅ Leader of RiverClan
    —⊰⋅ He/Him
    "SPEECH", 'THOUGHTS', ATTACK
    —⊰⋅ Black tom w/vitiligo & one orange eye.

I'VE LEARNED LOVE IS LIKE A BRICK — Guilt poured over Swiftfire in a wave at Moonpaw's quick attention, knowing full well how busy the medicine cat apprentice had been as of late. It felt like too much to put even more on her shoulders, but it wasn't exactly as if the chimera could just push through this particular illness - at least she was still in the earliest stages. "I'm, uhm... well, I'm not dying or anything. I don't even feel particularly worse than before, really." A soft chuckle left her muzzle then, fluffy tail brushing along her own stomach as she looked between both Moonpaw and the worried gaze of Smokestar. "I do think I may have a bit more than a bump on my head, though." The former colonist was suddenly more glad than ever that the question of who had sired a litter usually wasn't on the forefront of anyone's mind, knowing have to explain that would be yet another thorn in her side.

As things were, she could at least allow herself to find some joy in the sudden ordeal she was to face.

Her voice lowered a bit as she took a step forward, more for her own privacy than anything else. Even if everyone would know when she moved into the nursery, it wasn't as if she needed to announce things for the whole of camp to hear. "I think... I think I may be pregnant. I'm no medicine cat, but I've been showing some of the early signs that my mother told me about when I was around an apprentice's age. And I don't think they're because of the blow that I took." Swiftfire paused then, distress rushing back into her gaze as she took another glance at her still barely-swelled stomach. "You don't think that could've hurt them if I am, do you? That's the last thing I would want." The timeline simply didn't make sense for her little ones to have been hurt by her concussion, but she wasn't exactly in the right headspace to realize that. In her mind, perhaps her dizziness afterwards could've ended up somehow being enough to harm them.

• 76635829_9N4qhCxavM25hPX.png
    shorthaired blue and red tabby chimera molly with green eyes
    40 moons old; ages the 1st every month
    bisexual; currently not looking
    daughter of lilou and germaine
    formerly of the ripple colony; loyal to riverclan
    easy to befriend; desperate to improve the former colonists' reputation