private AS LONG AS I'M HERE, NO ONE CAN HURT YOU — lupinekit

✿—— white-soaked paws carry her out of camp, uneasiness resting instinctively on her shoulders like a thunderstorm at her back. she can remember the last time she left camp properly all too well—the vision of blazestar lying in a pool of his own blood flashes briefly behind her eyelids—but she's determined to make it out there this morning. if lupinekit had protested when she woke him earlier than usual, she'd for once ignored it; if they wanted to have a peaceful time before all the warriors got moving, now was the time, with dawn just peeking over the horizon as she slows her steps to keep pace with her growing son. a green glance confirms it; he's already getting closer and closer to her height, sure to surpass it before he receives his warrior name.

still, she resolved to get the pair of them out for a walk today, one technically not permitted, but she was here to keep an eye on lupinekit, after all. the small tabby guides their steps in no particular direction; the destination doesn't matter to her, not today. all she really wants is some time with her son before he's off to apprenticeship and she to semi-warriorhood, the long lazy days in the nursery far behind them. her heart twists a little at the thought; those days she'd once idly dreamed about have arrived, when fuzzy-furred snuggles and sunny afternoons give way to battle training and adolescent spats.

pale eyes settle on her son again, affection glowing in their depths; he's so like her, with his white-splashed fur and gentle demeanour. she loves her children equally, but she can't help but feel a special affection for the rare similarities between her and lupinekit. she takes a seat, half-tail curled about her lilac flank, and tips her maned head to her son to do the same. dewy eyes seek out the distant horizon, one tawny paw lifting to point as she mews, "i think i can a-almost see the sandy ravine, out that way. you'll be training th-there soon, won't you?" the tabby's tone is wondering, a faint surprise echoing through it as she smiles at the black-furred kit and adds, "how are you f-feeling about your apprenticeship?"

• ooc: @LUPINEKIT !!
  • 68403446_KpQyDZrn5ORVKjb.png
  • ❀ bobbie — for her kithood love of bobby pins
    she/her ; cisgender female — skyclan — queen — 38 ☾s
    —— bobbie is a beautiful but insecure lilac tabby, dotted with white patches and with pale green eyes. a queen of skyclan, she's sweet and kind if prone to melancholy; the heartbreaking end of a lifelong romance has left her scarred..
    —— smells like sweet lavender & tea leaves ; sounds like sansa stark ; speech in #D64933, thoughts in #B1C797
    —— peaceful / healing powerplay permitted ; attacks/contact in underline ; won’t start fights ; will flee ; will show mercy ; won't kill or maim
    —— pansexual panromantic monogamist, divorced, not looking ; open to friendships, enemies, casual interactions, plotting ; not open to unplanned romance & unplanned battles
    penned by dejavudesklamp9 on discord for plots
  • shhh don't look here (battle info will go here at some point)

( tags ) In the cool grey stillness of near-dawn, a still-sleepy Lupinekit wondered if this was the earliest he's ever been awake. He was somewhat of a heavy sleeper, having been trained to tune out the rustling and snoring of a crowded nursery, and he was afforded the privilege given to the youngest and very eldest of the clan to snooze well into the morning. Today, though, he was certainly going to have to rearrange his nap schedule. Soon, much sooner than he was quite ready to admit, he would grow used to the early mornings and late evening work days of apprenticeship and warriorhood. Though for now, it was certainly a novelty to bear witness to the pine forest at this time of day, in all of its shimmering, dew-touched glory.

His residual grogginess would be washed away quickly as they padded further out from camp, replaced with the staticky crackle of wariness riding on his hackles as if an electric current jumped from Bobbie to himself. He took in the woods around them with pricked ears and sharpened eyes, it was almost unbelievable to think that a forest so tranquil hid dangers such as the ones that hurt his mother and clanmates without remorse. It was a childish thing to expect the wilds to care about any one creature over another, but still, Lupinekit wished his world was kinder.

Childish, also, he was sure, was the touch of melancholy he held over his imminent apprenticeship. Lupinekit watched the back of his mother's head, feeling squirmy at the thought of his impending surpassing of her, limbs and body stretching taller and lankier by the day. It was his most literal marker of growing up, but he didn't feel anything like a grownup right now. Last night he had spent curled up with his siblings in the only nursery he had ever known. Yet still, the nights would turn to dawns which would turn to days, and in only a few sunrises, he would be leaving that nest.

He sat obediently at Bobbie's request, gaze mirroring hers as they looked out over the horizon, to the unseen gully he was soon to become very familiar with. She spoke, breaking their comfortable silence with a wondering inquiry. Lupinekit's ears twitched instinctively as he looked back toward her, "Oh, uhm, yes! I guess I will, huh..." When she asked him what he felt about the matter, he answered quickly, "I'm excited..!" His eyes darted away from hers as he said this, though, and another beat of silence pooled between them. He told her what she wanted to hear, an instinctual assurance that there was nothing to worry about, that he would do apprenticeship just fine. He didn't like keeping things from her, though, because who would be sympathetic to his worries more than his mother?

"I-I am excited it's just that.. I'm nervous too. I don't think that I'm uhm ... I'm not strong. Not like... Blazestar or like Orangeblossom or you..." He didn't look at her as he said this, instead focusing his attention to a nearby fern frond, touching it with an ivory paw, "And I don't know if I can be."

"SPEECH"

✿—— he sits at her request, stoking the warmth kindled in her chest when she thought of her kits' upcoming apprenticeship. he's so good, her son; always listening, always helping with his siblings. never involved in the kit scuffles, really (that she's seen, anyways), gentle and sweet—he's inherited the best parts of her, she thinks with a smile. it's an odd thought that they'll all be off to the apprentices' den soon, and she to the warriors'; that their kitten playthings will be cleared away, to be replaced by gifts from apprentice crushes and the feathers of their first catches. that those sleepy, sunny afternoons of queenship are gone to her, forever—she's vowed to herself, vowed for herself, that she will not take another mate. surely there is nobody that could make her break that promise. surely not.

she pushes the thought away and it goes quietly, the tabby smiling at his twitching ears and nervous words despite the worry that pooled in her belly; so like her. his answer is quick, almost too quick; a fast reassurance that he's excited, that he can't wait. a silence unspools between them after his words, a silence she's content to wait out until he expands on the answer. it isn't exactly the one she'd expected—she loves her kits, but none of them are exactly of the rambunctious, confident sort, much like herself. they didn't get that from their father, certainly, she thinks to herself, almost amused until the thought of her former mate begins to sting.

"i'm not strong. not like... blazestar or like orangeblossom or you..." his reply aches in her heart in two ways; to think that he considers her as strong as blazestar or orangeblossom is charming but laughable, really. to think that he doesn't consider himself strong hurts a tender spot in her chest, his eyes flicking away from her own as she (unbeknownst to her) so often does as well. "it's alright to be nervous, l-lovebug. it's normal, even—but i'll be watching you all from the warriors' d-den." she leans over to deliver an affectionate lick to the top of his head if he'll permit it, drawing back again and mewing, "there are a lot of different ways to be s-strong. you take care of your siblings, and you're kind—that's its own kind of strength. you'll learn how to be strong like a warrior, too, in training."

her eyes are bright with anxious emotion as she mews, "i'm so proud of you."

• ooc: ——
  • ❀ bobbie — for her kithood love of bobby pins
    she/her ; cisgender female — skyclan — queen — 39 ☾s
    —— bobbie is a beautiful but insecure lilac tabby, dotted with white patches and with pale green eyes. a queen of skyclan, she's sweet and kind if prone to melancholy; the heartbreaking end of a lifelong romance has left her scarred..
    —— smells like sweet lavender & tea leaves ; sounds like sansa stark ; speech in #D64933, thoughts in #B1C797
    —— peaceful / healing powerplay permitted ; attacks/contact in underline ; won’t start fights ; will flee ; will show mercy ; won't kill or maim
    —— pansexual panromantic monogamist, divorced, not looking ; open to friendships, enemies, casual interactions, plotting ; not open to unplanned romance & unplanned battles
    penned by dejavudesklamp9 on discord for plots
  • shhh don't look here (battle info will go here at some point)

( tags ) Lupinekit had a hard time accepting that he currently exemplified any form of strength, but he nodded all the same, purring as he accepted Bobbie's affectionate lick. He knew that it was possible that his mother could see something more in him that he was blind to, and his paws felt they were on sturdier ground at the assurance that his nervousness was normal and he wasn't just being silly.

Despite her comforting words, a blanket of dread still hung over his head like fat, heavy clouds before a greenleaf thunderstorm. Mom would be watching them from the warriors den, but she wouldn't be able to keep dogs from their borders, or from enemy cats from unsheathing their claws, or from whatever other terrors the wilderness would throw upon them. No one would. Lupinekit would push back the worries of everything outside of his control, taking a deep breath and meeting Bobbie's eyes once more. "Thank you. I'll be... I'll be doing my best to make you even prouder."

The kitten stood from his place across from her and moved to sit by her side, more at ease with the comfort of a pelt brushing his than he was with the wind as his only companion. "You know, soon we're going to be warriors together, Mom," he purred, "I'm excited, are you?"

And his words were no mere reassurance, he truly was.

"SPEECH"

//this is hella late but i just wanted to get in another reply ! feel free to leave it here or if u wanna reply again thats cool too !<333

Reactions: DOEBLAZE