Both women and fish are indifferent towards me | Carppaw

MAYBE I'D BE A SAINT IF I WEREN'T ————————————​

Snakeblink, my man, you have been trusted with this — do not fuck it up for us.

Harsh as it sounds, the thin thread of that mental dialogue is doing a lot to keep Snakeblink’s head up as he walks out of camp with Carppaw. The fear of letting her, his leader, himself, everyone down has his ears flicking in nervous ticks, but it’s a productive kind of anxiety, a thrum of stress that wraps around his heart and echoes each arrhythmic beat with a persistent, trusted, trusted, trusted.

If he gets this right, if he makes a real warrior out of Carppaw, then it will be the proof he needs, the proof they all need, that he is worthy of the responsibilities given to him.

It’s only a matter of actually getting it right.

”As cats of Riverclan, our ability to fish is our most treasured skill,” he tells Carppaw in a sibilant hiss, slowing to a stop near the edge of the water. ”Mastering it is a long undertaking, though, so I thought I might begin to teach you today. Do you think you are ready?” He intends, at least, to start with dry fishing, from the riverbank: dive fishing should probably wait for when she has a few more moons of swimming behind her.

——————————————————————————————————— so god damn lonely

• Snakeblink • he / him. 45 ☾, riverclan warrior
    — a sleek, skinny tabby with long ears and a scar over his right eye.
    — gay, not actually evil, penned by @Kangoo

FIGHTING IT IS HOPELESS ————————————​
Carppaw had no idea of the responsibilities on her mentor's shoulders. No, not really. She was still young, and found most of this adventure-like- tales her mother may have told her long since past. Things that she enjoyed hearing, but dreamed of doing herself. And as Snakeblink lead them to the water's edge, Carppaw's ears perked up, widening gently at the water that toiled and tumbled in front of them.

Blue eyes blinked, and turned towards Snakeblink with a curious tilt of her head. "I think so! I can swim, and hunt, though opening my eyes underwater is still hard, do you think I can master that too?" She rambled, ears perked and expectant of Snakeblink's answer.

"speech"

——————————————————————————————— sinkin' in your ocean

MAYBE I'D BE A SAINT IF I WEREN'T ————————————​

Her enthusiasm is encouraging to see — it’s at least half the battle done. Much easier to get an apprentice to do something they already want to do, after all.

”You will get used to it,” he replies, ”And it will get easier. I expect fishing to be much the same.” He is genuine: she is quite bright, and he doesn’t doubt she will pick up the skill quickly. Refining it may take some time, but that’s what apprenticeship is for.

Quiet paws bring him to the shore, where he crouches low in the damp grass that’s buzzing with insect life. Keen eyes glance at the silvery flashes of fishes darting through the current, small minnows and the like, the thin shadow of an eel occasionally peering from underneath small rocks. A frog croaks, near enough his ears perk up in response, but he ignores it — for now.

”Come here, near the water’s edge — be careful not to let your shadow fall on the surface: it will scare the fish. What do you see?”

——————————————————————————————————— so god damn lonely

• Snakeblink • he / him. 45 ☾, riverclan warrior
    — a sleek, skinny tabby with long ears and a scar over his right eye.
    — gay, not actually evil, penned by @Kangoo