break me down | flycatcher

She hadn't been avoiding her mate since she had returned, but there had been so many things happen since they had returned to camp that she hadn't had much time to talk to him. After getting Stormpaw settled, Howlingstar had called for a council discussion, and following that, a meeting. Flamewhisker had spent the rest of the day with their daughter, reluctant to leave her side. They had spent the last moon and a half together, and since her accident, she hadn't really left her. She could smell Flycatcher nearby, and as much as her heart longed to go out there, she just couldn't.

The sounds of the camp were overwhelming. All of her clanmates, the kits running around, all of their voices, it was too much. The camp walls seemed suffocating...claustrophobic even. The ravine was making her nervous, bringing back memories of the ravine they had traveled through. During her many moons here, there had never been a rockslide, but after experiencing it firsthand, nearly escaping death...it was so hard to be here. All she had dreamed about was coming home, but now that she was here, she felt sick. She felt like a loner again...Sleeping with no den under the stars had taken awhile to get used to, but now Thunderclan didn't feel...natural.

After awhile, their kit fell asleep. She could still smell Flycatcher outside, and now that it was starting to get darker, there wasn't as much noise coming from the camp's clearing. Careful she slipped away, and padded out to join him. Her pelt was prickling uneasily, and she glanced towards the camp's tunnel. "Could...Could we go talk out there?" she asked, hoping he would agree.
  • flamegal.png
    FLAMEWHISKER of THUNDERCLAN
    LH red tabby with low white (masks black tabby, carries dilute, solid)
    — Lead Warrior of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring Acornpaw
    — she/her ; mated with Flycatcher
    — mother to Stormpaw & Falconpaw
    — 25 moons ; ages on the 20th
    — Smells like dirt, old leaves, tree sap, faint hint of flowers
    — will start a fight, will finish fights, will kill (case depending)
    "speech" ; thoughts ; attacks
    — penned by Icey ! ; link to tags
    — link to toyhouse
    — funny guy art by waluigipinball​

Since their return to camp, there hadn't been much time for the two of them to speak. Flycatcher certainly didn't hold it against his mate, knowing full well that she would have wanted to see Stormpaw settled, and then the fact that Howlingstar had called a council meeting. Flamewhisker had asked to speak with their leader after the meeting was finished, and Flycatcher had looked at her curiously but had not lingered.

Afterwards, he had busied himself with patrols and other duties around camp. When he had returned from his patrol, he had hoped to find her outside so they might talk, but was informed she had gone to sit with Stormpaw. Flycatcher considered going to see their daughter himself, but he felt a little awkward about stepping in there. Instead, he waited for Flamewhisker outside, eating a small mouse to fend off his hunger, before she finally emerged. Stars, was it good to see her again, even if Flycatcher could see she was exhausted. Flamewhisker glances towards the camp's tunnel and asks if they can speak outside. "Of course," Flycatcher answers simply, brushing against his mate gently as he lead the way out of camp.

They had made it a short distance away from camp when Flycatcher dared to break the silence. "I've missed you both, you know," Flycatcher sighs. "It was hard not seeing either of you around camp." His green eyes look to Flamewhisker, curious what she might want to speak about. "What did you want to talk about?"

She felt relieved when he agreed, even though she was exhausted. The tabby followed silently behind her mate, her gaze to the forest floor. She lifted her paw, trying to take some weight off of her shoulder. The scab had healed, but it was still sore from little to no rest while on the journey. When he spoke, she stopped and lifted her gaze to meet his. "I...I just needed to get away for a bit.." she said slowly, taking a couple paw steps so she was now beside him. "It feels like forever since I've been here...the camp is a little overwhelming.."

Her eyes closed, and she pressed against his side. "I've missed you so much." Her words quivered, heavy with emotion. She had been longing for his moment for so long. It felt so strange to be out here, but not have to be worrying about everyone else's safety, planning out what routes to take for the next day, organizing who would carry Stormpaw, or worrying about whether or not they would be picked off by eagles.

She leaned her head against his shoulder, breathing in his comforting scent. The smell of Thunderclan had probably long washed off of her own pelt. Crisp mountain air, pines, and heather had long replaced it. "I'm so worried about our little Storm..." Inside the camp their daughter was still laying there, unable to stand. Her shoulders slumped, and a tear fell from her eye.
  • FLAMEWHISKER of THUNDERCLAN
    — 26 moons ; ages on the 20th
    — link to toyhouse

Her answer to his question is a simple and honest one. Flycatcher imagined that with all the emotions of what happened on the journey and then the return, life back in camp probably was an adjustment for her. "I think after everything you and the others have been through, you're entitled to feel a bit overwhelmed seeing camp again," Flycatcher mewed supportively.

As they walk, she presses against him, her head on his shoulder mewing that she had missed him too. Although the smell of the mountains clings to her fur, underneath it all she is still Flame. His Flame. A bit battered and bruised but otherwise safe and home. At the mention of Stormpaw, he tenses slightly and lets out a small sigh. "I'm so proud of her for going and doing what so few her age had but..." His voice falters as he thinks of Stormpaw in Berryheart's den. Their youngest child, given her name with the hope she would be strong. And now she could not even walk, rendered as weak as an elder in a few fleeting moments. "I can't help but think I should have fought harder for her to stay here. She would have hated me for it I'm sure but at least she would have been safe." Or safer, he thinks. With the rogues overruning camp there was no guarantee she would have escaped unscathed from that either.

She listens as he speaks, closing her eyes momentarily as she draws in the comfort that simply hearing his voice brings. He was really here...not just a wishful dream that her imagination formed. She had longed to hear his voice, to be beside him since the night they departed. It still felt surreal to be walking beside him now.

He wonders if he could have pushed for her to stay back, and a pained smile forms on her muzzle. "You know as well as I do that her mind was made up as soon as she volunteered." she began, slowly moving her head back and forth. "I suppose she inherited too much stubbornness from her mother." And I inherited too much from mine... "She probably would have snuck out even if she was made to stay." In the moment, she had wished something could have been done to prevent their kit from going on the journey, but as they traveled, she had accepted it.

She took in a breath, wanting to change the subject. She had been in a constant state of grief for so long...it would be nice to try to push it away for a moment. "How was Falconpaw while we were away? I'm sure Burnstorm has done an excellent job training him. He had quite the teacher."
  • IMG_1727.png
    FLAMEWHISKER of THUNDERCLAN
    — 27 moons ; ages on the 20th
    — link to toyhouse