bringing kingdoms to their knees | shellpaw

The early hours bleed hues of pastel pinks and oranges that stretch lazily across the sky. The dawn patrol returns in silent footfalls and muted yawns, some RiverClanners ready to crawl back into their nests for a short nap while others idled in camp. Robinheart enjoys the dawns, enjoys the peace that blankets the sands and reeds of her home.

The tortoiseshell completes a slow lap around the interior of camp, peeking briefly into the nursery to gaze upon the slow rising flanks of her children as they slumber in a pile of kitten fluff and youthful dreams. Robinheart hopes they are sweet dreams as she utters a whispered “I love you,” to them before continuing on her way. It has become part of her routine now - to stretch her legs and strengthen her muscles in the early morning before the day grew too hot, then allow herself rest and recovery once the sun rose high enough to warm the ground. Next moon she hopes to easy herself into swimming as another form of exercise, as per Moonbeam’s suggestion.

Approaching the medicine den, the recovering queen catches sight of a familiar pelt. Her plush tail waves in greeting and she carefully limps towards Shellpaw (Was she visiting the medicine den? Or perhaps she had been delivering prey to the patients after a dawn hunt?). “Do you have a moment, Shellpaw?” Robinheart asks once she is close enough to be heard in a soft courteous voice. “I wanted to thank you for… helping me. When the dog - when I-I,” she fumbles her words, not sure how to approach recounting the day their camp had been attacked. “You apologized as you helped Moonbeam support me to safety. You didn’t have to but I appreciate it nevertheless… If it weren’t for your quick action that day could have gone differently.”

@shellpaw
[ penned by kerms ]