clear smoke | flamewhisker

Scorchedkit

duty & honor - 義務と名誉
Mar 31, 2024

Ever since Scorchedkit's little altercation with her older brother she made sure to avoid the white and brown tom at all costs. This typically came at the expense of keeping a wide breadth of space between them for her own sanity, or picking herself up entirely to go elsewhere. She believed spending any significant amount of time around him would only manage to land her in more trouble. Fights and arguments. Those were far from wanted and she certainly did not desire the negative backlash that came with it. Flamewhisker's snappy command and the disapproval in her tone made Scorchedkit's belly churn with uncomfortable feelings as she mentally revisited the event. No matter how much she played with Ivorykit or Tornadokit she couldn't seem to push that image away.

She had long since declined an invitation to play. Instead the dark tortoiseshell loafed in a corner. With her head balanced on an oversized paw and the other batting lazily at a crumpled feather. Her ears flattened against the vivid sounds of kitten giggles and adventure games, of fun. After flicking the feather away Scorchedkit drew in on herself, curling into a tight ball. She wasn't sure how long she was like that. But the looming shadow that stretched itself over her sulking form snapped the kit from her trance. "I said I didn't wanna play. Now leave me alone..." Scorchedkit grumbled without turning around, voice irritable as she assumed one of her denmates lumbered over to coax her again. (@Flamewhisker)
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   thunderclan kit / three months / she/her  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊ A few nights had passed since Sparrowkit and Scorchedkit's late night argument. It was impossible to not notice the distance the altercation had caused between her litter and her adopted son. I was here first! She knew Sparrowkit wasn't referring to the spot...he was jealous of the kits he had been so excited to meet. It was her fault...she was still grieving Flycatcher's death, and trying to raise their kits by herself. Five kits was a huge step up from a litter of two, and she had been exhausted the first time. She felt like a horrible, failure of a mother. Their kits needed her, and she could barely leave the den. Most days she felt either totally numb, or overwhelmed with grief....today was a numb day.

Quiet paws carried the queen into the nursery. A bundle of moss was clenched in her jaws, and fell limply into their nest. Further away, an ebony and flame speckled ball caught her eye. The red tabby's head tilted curiously, and as she padded closer she realized it was Scorchedkit. I said I didn't wanna play. Now leave me alone... her daughter grumbled without turning to see who was standing beside her. Flamewhisker silently recoiled, before raising her gaze to the ceiling of the den. I need you...I need your help... her voice cried out inside her mind. She took in a deep breathe, and leaned her nose down to gently touch Scorchedkit's side. "What's wrong sweetheart? It's a beautiful day outside. Your siblings are chasing butterflies just outside the den..."

• 79527857_EHpqE5qIBF95tOn.png
  • FLAMEWHISKER she/her, deputy of thunderclan, 31 moons, ages on the 20th
    LH red tabby with low white (masks black tabby, carries dilute, solid)
    formerly mated to flycatcher / / mother to: falconheart, stormfeather, sparrowkit, sunkit, mothkit, scorchedkit, and squirrelkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    will start a fight, will finish fights, will kill (case depending)
    link to toyhouse
    penned by Icey !@icefang65 on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

The looming shadow does not move away as expected. Instead it draws closer and the familiar voice of her mother accompanies a touch against her flame speckled side. The queen's inviting coos were soft and gentle, relaxing. So why did she still feel so...upset? How come she couldn't find the will to gaze upon the orange tabby crouched beside her? Scorchedkit's expression mirrors her inner turmoil as it draws up across her face, twisting as she continues to stare at her paws. She didn't want to talk about it, that much she knew. Her confidence on how Flamewhisker might respond caused her to waiver about being honest. However, lying was no better, if not worse. The silence was deafening as it lingered on, her mind swaying from one possible outcome to the next as she fought to make a decision.

Her bottom lip quivers once a choice is finally made. "My feelings hurt." Scorchedkit confessed in a whisper. It was the best way to describe the potent concoction she was feeling. "I don't wanna think about that night but I do. Sparrowkit kicked me out of the nest. Everyone was angry and yelling. Roeflame was going to punish me...I thought you were going to save me from them." Eyes of blue and green began to glisten with hot tears as she fought to hold them back. That night she imagined Flamewhisker would come to her rescue. That the valiant deputy of thunderclan would silence the ruckus and restore order to the den. But she didn't. At least, not in the way she pictured it. And so the betrayal and confusion she felt twisted like a thorn in her side, acting as a fresh reminder. "But you were angry too, Why was she angry? She was a good kit she believed. She followed instructions and cleaned up after herself. The thought kept her from enjoying playtime and threatened to keep her up some nights. and I don't know what I did wrong. What did I do wrong?" Scorchedkit sniffled, stifling a sob in the midst of free flowing tears as dark paws failed to wipe them away fast enough.
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   thunderclan kit / three months / she/her  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊ She waited silently for a response from Scorchedkit, before her daughter confirmed that she was still upset about the other night. She had assumed it had something to do with this, but now that she was sure, Flamewhisker slowly laid down, attempting to curl around her kit. If Scorchedkit didn't move away, she would then try to draw her tongue over her forehead like she had done to Falconheart and Stormfeather when they were young. That night hadn't gone how it should have, but that wasn't anyone's blame but her own. "I wasn't angry at you." Her voice was soft, tailing off to almost a whisper. I was mad at myself... The unspoken remnants of the whisper. If she could change how she had reacted, she would....if she possessed the power to change the past, she would change many things. She wasn't mad at either of them...Sparrowkit's actions were nothing but a result of her own grief. Scorchedkit and her littermates had been too young to be aware of it, but Sparrowkit had experienced it along with her. I should have been stronger...I shouldn't have let him see me like that.

Tears streamed down her kit's cheeks, and when her daughter couldn't wipe them away fast enough, she offered her own paw to wipe them away. "Don't cry my dear, you didn't do anything wrong." It broke her heart to see her kits cry, even over something as little as a stolen sleeping spot. Flamewhisker leaned forward to touch her nose to her forehead reassuringly. She would try to take away the sadness...she would add it to her own grief. Her own aching shoulders could handle a little more.

" I should have handled that a little differently... but I-" she stopped herself from finishing the sentence. Her kit didn't need to know how bad she has been feeling. "had a bad dream. You and Sparrowkit startled me, that's all."

• FLAMEWHISKER she/her, deputy of thunderclan, 31 moons, ages on the 20th
    widowed mate to flycatcher / / mother to: falconheart, stormfeather, sparrowkit, sunkit, mothkit, scorchedkit, and squirrelkit
    link to toyhouse

To her surprise, the orange tabby knelt beside her where she could curl her daughter into a warm embrace. When Flamewhisker's tongue rasped against her forehead in a tender kiss, Scorchedkit snuggled close. Reassurance bled from her mother's tone, allowing a heavy weight to lift from her chest. It was comforting to know nothing was her fault. Her actions did not spark the irritability Flamewhisker displayed that night, it was something else entirely. Until now, she hadn't realized something was stirring within the tabby nestled beside her. She is unaware of the reasoning behind Flamewhisker's looming sadness, but she is attentive. The queen's tone portrayed a certain level of sorrow, much like how she sounded when Flamewhisker found her.

Large paws aid in wiping away her tears, reducing the flood to little more than tear-stained cheeks. "I had a bad dream." Scorchedkit contributes one final wipe to her face, sniffling before looking into her mother's solemn eyes. "You did?" She never considered adults to have nightmares, and the discovery shocked her. "I-I'm sorry mama..." Scorchedkit whispered, allowing her voice to trail off. An ebony paw stretched forward, resting upon blazing orange. Her mouth opened partially, words restrained as she thought of what to say. "When you look sad sometimes...is it the bad dreams?" Scorchedkit asked, wearing a small frown. Occasionally she noticed Flamewhisker's swing from a bright smile to a melancholy mask throughout the day. When lingering too long another queen would usher her along or some kit would distract her with play. But there was none of that now. Only mother and daughter.

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊ You did? The queen would nod slowly, carefully. "It's alright dear.." she said softly. Scorchedkit's paw stretched forward, touching her own red pelt. Ashes to the flame, a reminder of the spark that she no longer had. Her eyes widened slightly at her kit's next question, but she tried to quickly blink away the panic. They've noticed. Of course her kits had...no matter how hard she tried to hide it from them, she wasn't always able to control what set her off and what didn't. The queen waited a few moments before responding, trying to decide what to say.

"Not exactly.." was all she said when she finally broke the silence. You'll understand when you're older. But would they? Their kits had never gotten to meet their father...they would never grieve him the way she still did. "Have you made any new friends? I know you and Meadowkit are pretty close." A diversion, probably not the best idea, but she wasn't ready to tell her the real reason yet. Not today.

• FLAMEWHISKER she/her, deputy of thunderclan, 32 moons, ages on the 20th
    widowed mate to flycatcher / / mother to: falconheart, stormfeather, sparrowkit, sunkit, mothkit, scorchedkit, and squirrelkit
    link to toyhouse