pafp COOT IN THE ODDEST THREADS | rat in camp

In a moment of respite, Ferndance found herself sharing tongues with Maggotfur, a creature whom she had watched grow from kittenhood to warrior. Nothing serious had graced their conversation, in a way, the emerald eyes of the cinnamon tabby were easy-going, her head nodding along to every few statements that reached her ears. Suddenly, the other said something, and the she-cat's head tipped forward, voice bombastic in agreement. "I know! Oh, it's just awful..." An ivory paw pressed against Ferndance's chest, as if accentuating how taken back she was by Maggot's observation. "And to think that tigers were—" Crunch. A noise, no louder than paw steps pressing against snow, caused the former Lead's ears to shoot up to the stars. There, in the corner of her eye, a brown thing scurried across the floor. Ferndance's pupils broadened immediately, her double-take at the creature causing her jaws to slam shut, the intellectual conversation forgotten in favour of the hunt. She crouched against the floor, glaring at the place where she'd seen the chestnut shadow last - sure enough, several seconds later, a ragged rodent with a worm's tail shifted in the brush. A little pink nose popped out - a rat.

Ferndance leapt into action, claws hooking onto the creature before it could escape into the marshlands and throwing it towards the centre of camp. There it seemed to panic, searching for a direction free of felines, skirting passed the cinnamon tabby's paws when she attempted to pin it again. Outnumbered, it did not turn its fangs on her as many rats in the past had done, but its frantic squeaks and scurrying left a self-defence bite in the air - a danger in leafbare when herbstocks were as low as they were. Her mind did not wander to that possibility, only the thought that this intruder could get into the nursery. She bolted in front of the entrance to deter the rat from it, her gaze briefly shooting to the younger warrior. "Corner it!" She called over the blood roaring in her ears - Stars had she missed the hunt, the feel of fur beneath her claws and prey blood on her teeth. This was hardly a prey animal, a rat any bigger could've eaten a kitten if it felt like it, but as it hesitated to fight back, the similarities did not escape the whimisical she-cat.

@Maggotfur.

IF ONLY I FELL FOR YOUR FICTION
TELL ME THINGS THAT CAN'T BE TRUE

maggotfur 16 moons female she/her shadowclan warrior

69089970_w0f4jlKnmfi9z6O.png
Ferndance always has the strangest things to say - and really, that is exactly why maggotfur finds it hard to dislike the other. It's usually so easy to find something irksome about her clanmates - everyone held at a distance while she keeps ice cold walls up high. But ferndance is strange, and silly, and whimsical in a way that cannot help but catch maggies eyes - no different than a sunbleached bone or the shine of beetle wings in her peripherals. Turquoise gaze gleams with amusement, the faintest of smirks gracing her usually blank face as they chat - idle musings that, in the end, will be meaningless and forgotten by tomorrow. But it's the now that matters, and so she nods along - " Mhm, Isn't it? " she says, before her own tufted ears twitch.

For a creature so foo driven, she is (shockingly) not the first to notice the creeping rodent No, she's not sued to food being stupid enough to make its way into camp, save for the pitiful insects that are always buzzing about - and besides kits to young to know any better, she's really the only one to eat those. Eyes widen and then narrow in a flash, paws thumping as she pulls herself upright even before ferndance calls out to her - lightning face she's moving before she even knows it. Carefully kept claws are out in a heartbeat, blue tabby figure chasing it down with single minded focus - she thinks she shoves past someone in her chase, but that's hardly important - until with a final leap she manages to hook claws into it, distracted by ferndance as it is.

" Either starclan has blessed us today, or that's the most mousebrained rat I've ever seen, " she snaps out once it falls from her jaws, blinking down at it dumbly. How on earth had it not scented them? was it simply just that fearless?

actions & " speech, " & 'thoughts/quotes'

F O O L M E O N C E T H A T S O N E T O O M A N Y

⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ It was while she was finishing the frog she had been eating, when a wiggling furry shape was thrown right in front of her. Minkpaw blinked. She watched dumbly as what she realized was a rat squealed, and began to flee. Only when Ferndance's call to corner it went up did she finally jump to her paws.

"GET IT GET IT GET IT!" Minkpaw raced after the rat, jubilantly chanting in time with her steps. Though, she seemed less intent on actually catching it than simply running after it. For a moment the camp descended into chaos as every cat scrambled to let a free meal slip between their paws, and it was awesome. Watching trained warrior clambered after their prey with all the gracelessness she usually had. A long, maniacal laugh left her. She never wanted this to end.

Her heart sunk when Maggotfur sunk her claws into the rat. It was over. "Hey!" Minkpaw complained. "I almost had it." That was decidedly untrue, but she didn't really care.
  • MINKKIT she/her(?), apprentice of shadowclan, six moons. tiny, shorthaired silver tabby with high white and fiery orange eyes. FOXFANG X BADGERFUR peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking ↛ see battle info here penned by empyrean@empyrean_heaven on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Very rarely did prey wander so close to camp. Lilacfur can only count such occasions in all her lifetime on a single paw, and if memory served her right it would be two counts. The sudden onset of thundering paws and a shout to chase interrupted her afternoon pause between patrols. The endeavor to catch the rodent is short lived thanks to Maggotfur, who expertly crushed it beneath her paws. It's over in a few blinks, and there's a shine of pride in her gaze before a more worrying thought overtakes her.

"We should be careful its not carrying something or sick." The rosette padded closer to get a good look at the adolescent rat. Checking for any obvious external signs from the crazed one's she had seen scurry around carrionplace. Her eyes briefly flickered to Minkpaw as she beckoned her over.

"Minkpaw, you've just reached your sixth moon, right? If you really want to go on a hunt I can take you out on one later. I can show you a fgood rat-hunting technique." She might be a tad too young to start facing carrionplace for now, but preparation would only serve her better for when the time came.
[ i need the clouds to cover me ]