COUNTING ALL THE STARFISH 𓇼 MOONBEAM

she hasn’t stopped shaking. she has a feeling as though she’s overreacting, but the fear that lodges a bubble in her throat refuses to subside. long after lichenstar had descended the river rock, and the crowd around her had dissipated into a few nervously chatting clanmates, shellpaw finds the energy to unfurl her tensed muscles. it feels as though a snake had released its hold on her, uncoiled it’s taut, ribboning body and left her breathless, fighting the thrashing bird of anxiety in her chest it had fought to ensnare. mindlessly, without feeling the soil beneath her paws, she comes to a trembling stand ( overthinking, she’s overthinking it — she thinks of the twist of nervousness on robinheart’s face, iciclefang’s maw shaping sharp around the word dangerous. it lingers in her head like a church bell, a bone deep thrum of electrified nerves. ).

her body is trembling, mind fluttering with images of her mothers body, of lightningstone and oxbowpaw, of cicadaflight’s tattered forearms and beefang’s missing eye. she thinks of her own sickness. the heat that set her pelt ablaze, fever burning in every inch of her and blurring the lines between reality and illusion. she thinks of moonbeam’s silhouette, burning alabaster against the dark night, smelling of soot and desperation. before long, she finds herself nosing through the lichen that separated the medicine cat’s den and camp ; the familiar wheeze song of her approach harshened with worry and hiccuping sounds of concern that she cannot help, moonbeam i’m scared. “ it comes out in a blurted rush as soon as she enters, a smattering of words tumbling from her mouth before she can stop them, before she can paint her tone in anything other than the panting whine she emits.

she breathes apologies to any residents, shoulders turning in as she tiptoes around the splay of herblined nests, slouching in a way that emboldened the way her flanks fluttered, ” what — what if something happens to, to one of us, or . . or you? while you’re there?what if they were hurt, she was hurt, gentlestorm hurt one of them? the possibilities were too great, weren’t they? was she a coward, was she an overcritical fool? she doesn’t know — all she knows is that moonbeam’s pouch of carrying leaves were ready, and shellpaw . . was not.

78127991_CB8CUpPRXAUSuLM.png
  • i. surprise for @Moonbeam she’s TWEAKING

• 84241097_QQbCg8eRrSlAAa4.png

• SHELLPAW 𓆉 SHE / HER. SEVEN MOONS OLD, APPRENTICE OF RIVERCLAN, MENTORED BY LICHENSTAR ; SMELLS LIKE SALT & RIVER BLOOMS. HAZECLOUD xx LICHENSTAR, NIECE TO SMOKESTAR. PENNED BY ANTLERS ----------------- ° ❀ ⋆
    frail alabaster molly with lilac striping and watery amber eyes.
    78128298_wohFIHxKbNARetE.png
    she is pallid ; platinum splotched with ribbons of dovey lilac curls, wisped ends like memories of a distant shore and plush enough to conceal the juts of malnutrition beneath. tufted elderdown fur conceals a body worn fragile by tumultuous youth, too thin in some places and round with baby fat in others. her face is short - muzzled, framed half mast by eyes coined rheumy, rosen amber. the anemic cold pink - purple at tender paws and nose tell a lifetime of sickness, further made obvious by the feathering weakness in half - whispered tones.
    CHRONICALLY ILL ; prone to wheezing, nose at a constant drip from longterm illness - induced nasal polyps. not contagious.

It had been expected, the reactions of the clanmates around her. Fear for the clan and themselves and what could happen while she would be gone with distrust towards ThunderClan and their medicine cat. Though Moonbeam understood those fears and held a few of them herself - if she wasn't around after all, what could happen? How could she handle a death if it was something that could be prevented had she been there? She could only hope that StarClan would watch over her clan, make sure that if something terrible were to happen that she would be there to be able to help stop it if possible.

What hadn't been expected was the parting of lichen and curtained moss as a hiccuping wheeze of a breath announced the presence of Shellpaw, her words stumbling out as she stood there scared. A small hushed whisper of a comforting shhh left the medicine cat's maw as she moved forward, tail attempting to rest on the other's shoulders for just a moment before she looked to her. "It'll be okay," She'd speak, not because she could promise that it would be but because it had to be. "I trust Gentlestorm, whether it be to help here on the days we're both here or to help me if something were to happen in ThunderClan." She could only pray that nothing would happen to her in ThunderClan's forests, but she'd be by the other medicine cat's side the whole time, a cat much larger than her who had the plus of moons of being a warrior under his pelt before he had even become the medicine cat apprentice in ThunderClan.

"I'll be home at night, to help take care of everyone here and to make sure that herbs are stocked... here in case something bad happens so that I can heal. If something really bad happens I'm sure we'd be able to stay here a few days in a row too." It got her thinking though, if that was a possibility or a guarantee. She was sure that Gentlestorm would agree to it if need-be, just as he had agreed to help Robinheart without thinking of any way it could backfire on him. "What if, just in case, before I leave and it becomes official I could teach the clan some stuff hmm? Make it so if something does happen, then there will be enough time to get me." General healing, where the herbs a cat would need to help with infection and to stop bleeding, pain remedies. There wasn't much need for anything else to be known, for at that point if a cat were going to die from injuries there would be nothing Moonbeam could do anyway.

• --
  • flesh wounds
    ꕥꕥ infections
    aches & pains
    ꕥꕥꕥ illness
    ꕥꕥꕥ breathing
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ traveling
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ broken bones
    kitting
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ poisons
  • 85735138_Ng21HDz61WrGyCp.png
    SH white masking cinnamon torbie w/orange eyes & small ears