private CRACKS IN THE ICE — hazecloud

"So much for getting to return to your regular duties," Iciclefang remarks to Hazecloud. The two queens lie outside the nursery as the sunset ripples into gold-threaded blood behind them. The meeting had concluded sometime ago; Hazecloud has officially left the nursery that had been her residence for so long, and so had the kits she'd birthed and taken in. It already feels emptier to Iciclefang; Robinheart is a kind young she-cat, but her company just isn't the same comfort as Hazecloud's has come to be. "What will be your first order of business, deputy Hazecloud?" There's a teasing note to her otherwise cool-toned words.

She twists, giving her back a few licks, when a thought crosses her mind. Splashpaw. Lichenstar had told her council the truth about the white-flecked apprentice, but Iciclefang's attempt at enlightening the Clan had gone nowhere, had been quashed like a beetle under her leader's striped paw. The tortoiseshell turns back to her companion, the mirth dying from her blue eyes. What's left is cold and intense. "As your lead warrior, I think you deserve to know where Splashpaw has come from," she mews. "I don't know if Lichenstar will tell you herself."

And it's because she does not trust her leader to be transparent that she continues. "Splashpaw is a ShadowClan apprentice. She came home with Lichenstar from the Gathering." Her lips draw back into a tight, thin line. "She is Pikesplash's daughter by a ShadowClan queen."

• ooc: @hazecloud
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 24 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring n/a ; previously mentored Cicadaflight
    — riverclan lead warrior & queen. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

—————————————————————⊰✿⊱————————————————————
Hazecloud had fallen over to her side with a loud sigh beside Iciclefang. The course of each surging feeling from before had exhausted her into a point of numbness now, now stuck in the position of what she had accepted. How could she deny it? Before all those eyes around her, knowing that was her mate before her leader calling down to her.

She hadn't spared herself any energy to argue about it, there was nothing she could conjure in words to express it all anyhow. So she had let the pointed molly slink away, back to the willow den where she was expected to join once the moon pushed its way into the sky. Hazecloud's half-lidded gaze swept from the new warriors to Iciclefang in an unamused quirk of her lip.

"That's one way to put it. I suppose that's what I get, though." She nearly cringed, the title felt far too heavy on her shoulders. Too new to claim, but what else could she call herself? "A mandatory hour of silence for the deputy, of course! I can't get my ears to stop ringing, I've already been told too much." Now that she was expected to delegate official tasks the warriors had turned to her for their requests and questioning, wasting no time to seek answers she hardly had to provide.

She thought to sink her head down against her paws, but the molly has turned far more formal to ignore. As your lead warrior... How many times would she have to hear that?

Still she leaned forward, curling her tail around herself in her shuffle for discretion. Splashpaw had been a wonder to Hazecloud but Lichenstar was a steel trap regarding any questions around her. So secretive, she found herself surprised that her council had even known! "What?" She hardly contained the volume in her gasp. Disbelief is clear in her eyes. "Him? Of all cats..."

Hazecloud looked out at the clearing as if the tom might materialize before them. How could that be possible? When could that be possible? "I can't believe you knew and didn't tell me." Is her attempt to smother her shock with humor, it doesn't work well. "What a fool... And he shares a den here still. How do we know her mother won't search every inch of this forest for her? I would be." She would be dragging her kit by the ear if she had to, but she wouldn't have saddled with a cat outside the Clans in the first place. "Do you know anything else about this? Has ShadowClan shown any suspicion, you think?"

•  

• 73582445_EEfwz37mLUqnNP7.png
    Hazecloud
    —⊰⋅ Deputy of RiverClan
    —⊰⋅ She/Her
    "SPEECH", 'THOUGHTS', ATTACK
    —⊰⋅ LH blue smoke with green eyes.

The humor dies from the deputy's green eyes as she leans forward, ears alert. The news about Splashpaw sends a tremor of disbelief across her expression. "Him, of all cats!" Iciclefang dips her head. "I know. I never would have suspected it for even a moment." And it's true—Pikesplash, for all his cowering tendencies, had always stricken her as a staunch warrior and loyal RiverClanner. She'd never have guessed the secrets in his heart—the shadows.

"I can't believe you knew and didn't tell me," Hazecloud says; the humor in her mew is metallic, edged with aftershocks. Iciclefang murmurs, "We were sworn to secrecy. But I feel the Clan has a right to know." She flicks her brindled tail behind her, ferocity burning blue in her gaze. "Like you, I would tear this forest to shreds looking for my kit. I would imagine Lichenstar would, too, had we lost one of our own to another Clan."

She exhales her frustration. She knows better than to badmouth Hazecloud's mate, but the tension in her mew is strong and bitter. "Chilledstar isn't in their right mind, but Splashpaw has kin in ShadowClan who are no doubt missing her. What kind of danger are we putting ourselves in to keep Pikesplash's secret?"

• ooc:
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 24 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring n/a ; previously mentored Cicadaflight
    — riverclan lead warrior & queen. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.