private crushing defeat // lichentail

Apr 21, 2023
There's a flash in the water. Instincts tense her muscles and a clawed paw lashes out instantly - and just as quickly does a fish rise above the waves and land unceremoniously onto the shore. Brookpaw shifts closer to the prey, fangs clasping around its throat, only to silence its senseless flopping. Iron briefly tastes on her tongue, muscle and sinew squish between her jaws -

She feels fur that is not there, screaming that is locked in her mind, pain, anger, sorrow, anguish -

"Are we done?" Brookpaw asks abruptly, green eyes flicking to her monotonous mentor. She hates the tears that have started at the corners of her eyes but she does not make mention of them. If they fall, they fall - work must be done regardless. Her own curt tone is curbed , though she tries to push past it. "Do we have much else planned for today?" she bids to ask. Tick duty is better than this, she almost thinks. ​

⋆ ✧    ·   ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ⋆     ·   ✧ ⋆

cheets_lichen_2_headshot.png
Trying to get some time with her was like trying to rid the fleas from your pelt... difficult, annoying, and largely unsuccessful. Dipperpaw needed just as much attention but Brookpaw had been her first... she tried to treat them fairly, equally, to make sure they both succeeded. It was harder to undo what had already been taught than to start fresh...

She is nothing short of a success, which proves to be a further disruption as she urges to be finished for the day- "One fish is only going to feed one mouth, you know that," she urges, hoping for understanding or patience for once... They could not be done for the day with such little accomplished, even if she had witnessed the untimely murder of her brother.

And you wouldn't want to disappear too? If Ripplesnap died? Or your sister back home..? The thought is an unwelcome one, shaken from shaggy fur like it were water. "I promise just a little more and then we can be done for the day. If you need to take a break, we can take a walk?" She is more lenient recently than normal... extending kindness in the form of offering options rather than demands.

WELL IF YOU WANT MY BLOOD I'LL MAKE SO MUCH BLOOD
THAT YOU'RE GONNA FUCKING DROWN