CUT FROM DEVOTION — figpaw

VIOLETNOSE

good intentions, bad habits
Aug 22, 2022
violetpaw's always had a keen sense of smell, from tracking trails to discerning one scent from a confusing mess. she likes to believe it's a gift starclan gave to her to repay her for her lack of vision. and she likes to think of it as just that; a gift. but sometimes it feels like a curse. when she picks up something on her sister's pelt, she wishes she never had. she wishes that she could forget. act as if nothing happened, and continue with her life, full speed ahead to her warrior ceremony in a moon.

however, lying has never been her speed and her investigative nature is one she could never ignore. the unmistakable scent of the twolegplace does not belong on figpaw; it is reserved for the daylight warriors, not for the apprentices training to become full-fledged warriors. so, why is it that figpaw carries it with her everywhere she goes nowadays? is figpaw sneaking out of the camp to visit the twolegplace? has she learned nothing from her last fated visit? violetpaw has to ask, or else the questions swimming behind her skull would never quiet down.

and as much as violetpaw tries to act tough, she knows she wouldn't be able to curb her worries for her sister until she asks. if figpaw really is sneaking off to the twolegplace, who knows what could happen? she's already risked death once and returned with a leg that would never function properly again. what if next time, she isn't so lucky?

violetpaw couldn't stomach the thought of losing figpaw.

"figpaw!" violetpaw finds her littermate with ease, outside of the apprentices' den, her scent still so familiar even with the stench of twolegs that cling to her. her nose wrinkles as the unwelcome smell invades, her fur bristling. it doesn't belong on her sister. figpaw should smell like pine nettles and sap, not like twoleg. "y'know, i've been wantin' to ask..." violetpaw takes a moment to settle down next to her littermate, close enough for their fur to brush. "couldn't help but to notice you smell disgusting lately. like the twolegplace, even. why's that?" she tilts her head in the direction of figpaw, her smile growing sharp with the judgment that passes over her features. a full-fledged warrior has no business with the twolegplace. so why?

@FIGPAW

IMG_0038.gif

Figpaw!

Eyes of tangerine flicker up to land on her sister’s dark pelt, she comes to deliver a question. The marmalade tabby halts grooming under her arms and leans into listen… This was something Violetpaw has been wanting to ask? Well! What was it? Couldn’t help but to notice you smell disgusting.

What?!
She expected this from Dawnglare, but not her sister! Well, maybe she should’ve from Violetpaw… but first Dawnglare was calling her fat and lazy, now her own sibling was saying she smelled horrendous?! Figpaw’s fur bristles in sincere embarrassment and warmth floods her cheeks, ”Well- it’s probably from Tallulahwing.” She lies, but it wasn’t a very good one… She can tell instantly Violetpaw doesn’t believe her too. She gulps.

”Look, I can tell you but- not here.” Hopping up onto her three paws she bounces to the outskirts of camp, expecting her litter-mate to follow along. Once they arrived she’d sit down, she could walk and run on three paws but standing still with just three was shockingly the most difficult part. She doesn’t dare test her balance now, this was humiliating enough as is!

”I… I smell like the Twolegplace because I’ve been visiting a friend there, okay? I’m not in danger or anything and I’m not looking for… him.” “Him” in reference to their biological dad, she’s learned her lesson in chasing him down. To think she was left permanently maimed because of it too. ”All we do is talk and stuff after I’m done with Tallulahwing and training… and sometimes I eat her food- but it was only to help SkyClan, I promise. We’ve been hungry up until now.” Besides… if daylight warriors had that luxury why couldn’t she?

”You can’t tell anyone though- they might not understand.”

55417772_ks6HUyroX73gwyT.png

( primary character / "speech" / ic opinions )

╰ ★ ჻ 001 GENERAL INFORMATION ,
· FIGPAW, AMAB — she / her
╰ ‣ 11 moons .
╰ ‣ skyclan apprentice . believes in starclan, doesn't fully understand

╰ ★ ჻ 002 VISUALS & AESTHETICS ,
· DOMESTIC FELINE, smells like pine nettles & sap, status — 100%
╰ ‣ A red tabby she-cat with orange eyes. Mangled right hind leg.

╰ ★ ჻ 003 MENTALITY & MANNERISMS ,
· ENFP-A ❝
CAMPAIGNER❞ , Gryfindor, Lawful Good
╰ ‣ Excitable, generous, caring, quick-to-act, daft, naive
╰ ‣ finds relative ease relating to others . kind-hearted, will show mercy

╰ ★ ჻ 004 INTERACTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS ,
· NPC X DAISYFLIGHT, sister to Greenpaw, Violetpaw, Snowpaw & Butterflypaw
╰ ‣ Pansexual . mistakes admiration for romantic feelings
╰ ‣ Apprentice to Tallulahwing
╰ ‣ poor fighter . okay hunter .
╰ ‣ unlikely to start fights . will flee .
╰ ‣ attack in underline . penned by user @ava.

there's a heartbeat where violetpaw thinks her sister isn't going to spill. a shadow crosses over her features, her face scrunching up as if she'd eaten a particularly rotten piece of prey. the smile she wears dips into a scowl. it's probably from tallulahwing. well, that's probably a load of crap. figpaw's been training underneath the daylight warrior since the siblings were four moons old, violetpaw doubts that she would just suddenly start smelling like twoleg a moon before their graduation. does figpaw believe her to be an idiot?

violetpaw's prepared to push harder, but figpaw relents within seconds. the muscles in the she-cat's face relax by a fraction, although her eyes remain narrowed. they can't talk about it here... the confession must be serious, then, if figpaw wants absolute privacy. why? what has figpaw done to damn herself?

she follows the sound of her sister's uneven footfall, past the camp's entrance until they settle on the outskirts. violetpaw's too antsy to take a seat, scuffing the dirt with her forepaws as she waits for the answer she's looking for. "well?"

the moment it's out of figpaw's mouth, violetpaw bristles. twolegplace. visiting a friend, but not him. she screws up her face again at the mention of him. figpaw doesn't need to elaborate for her to understand who she's talking about. however, even with the reassurance that figpaw isn't trying to find their deadbeat dad, violetpaw doesn't relax. it only winds her up further, beginning to pace. she'd had her suspicions... but to hear figpaw confess to it sends a new spike of fear up her spine. her voice slips into her accent as the words spill out, "but figpaw, nothing good ever comes out of visitin' the twolegplace! don'tcha remember how ya almost died th' last time?! if mom hadn't found ya in time..." you'd probably be rotting in a ditch somewhere. her gut twists and she shakes her head before that line of thought continues.

figpaw has to know this. why else would she not tell anyone, even her own family? why else would she not want anyone to overhear?

violetpaw's pacing falters at the next confession. sometimes i eat her food. narrowed eyes widen, her head snapping in the direction of figpaw's voice. "...you... you've been eatin' kittypet food? while th' rest'a us go hungry?" it sounds so surreal to her, coming out of her mouth, that she laughs. head thrown back, lips pulled taut to reveal her teeth, she laughs. but the sound is humorless. she couldn't believe it. violetpaw would go to sleep hungry some nights so that her clanmates could have something in their bellies. and figpaw- she had been sneaking off to twolegplace to chow down on kittypet food.

is this what an honorable life as a warrior looks like to figpaw? is violetpaw truly the blind one, here, or is it her mouse-brained sister?

figpaw begs her not to tell anyone, because they might not understand, and violetpaw scoffs. "why shouldn't i? if ya really think yer doin' th' right thing, why shouldn't i tell? gimme one good reason, figpaw."

IMG_0038.gif

Figpaw wildly shakes her head, see? See?! Violetpaw didn’t understand! If her own litter-mate didn’t get it how could she expect any other cat in the clan too?! ”Noo Violetpaw, you have to listen! I’m careful I swear!” She pleads, ”I don’t go far in, not nearly as far in as I went.” The girl is certain her words and reasons will fall on deaf ears, but she must try!

The sound of her sisters betrayed voice cracks at her heart, guilt consumes her, but still she continues to reason. ”I- I mean- I’m not stopping anyone else from eating kitty pet food! Our daylight warriors do, why can’t we?” Yeah! Why would they starve while they reap the benefits of having a twoleg by your side in leaf-bare?!

”because- what if Blazestar delays my warrior ceremony?! I’ve worked so hard, he can’t know!”

55417772_ks6HUyroX73gwyT.png

( primary character / "speech" / ic opinions )

╰ ★ ჻ 001 GENERAL INFORMATION ,
· FIGPAW, AMAB — she / her
╰ ‣ 11 moons .
╰ ‣ skyclan apprentice . believes in starclan, doesn't fully understand

╰ ★ ჻ 002 VISUALS & AESTHETICS ,
· DOMESTIC FELINE, smells like pine nettles & sap, status — 100%
╰ ‣ A red tabby she-cat with orange eyes. Mangled right hind leg.

╰ ★ ჻ 003 MENTALITY & MANNERISMS ,
· ENFP-A ❝
CAMPAIGNER❞ , Gryfindor, Lawful Good
╰ ‣ Excitable, generous, caring, quick-to-act, daft, naive
╰ ‣ finds relative ease relating to others . kind-hearted, will show mercy

╰ ★ ჻ 004 INTERACTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS ,
· NPC X DAISYFLIGHT, sister to Greenpaw, Violetpaw, Snowpaw & Butterflypaw
╰ ‣ Pansexual . mistakes admiration for romantic feelings
╰ ‣ Apprentice to Tallulahwing
╰ ‣ poor fighter . okay hunter .
╰ ‣ unlikely to start fights . will flee .
╰ ‣ attack in underline . penned by user @ava.