private Damn the girl, she has to learn ⸙ Bluefrost

Brackenpaw

Theme week: Hisuian Sneasel
Apr 8, 2024

In a surprising turn of events Brackenpaw had been the one to ask Bluefrost to train with her today. Not the tunnels though, you had to focus while down there and the young apprentice had too many thoughts buzzing around in her brain to consider how the structure of the tunnels were fairing or what scents were around. No, instead she asked for another territory tour, to regain her bearings. Making an excuse saying it would be good to refresh what it’s like up here every few moons or something like that. They don’t really remember what they said but it was enough to appease her mentor to humour her for this moment.

As she stood there amongst the regrowing land, sun temporarily blocked behind the shield of fluffy clouds. She wondered if they would ever get to see the moors how her mentor did once, how the other warriors did. Privetpaw had called the moorland of WindClan beautiful, she practically laughed in his face over that statement then but they wondered if that really was the case and she had been blind to it. The apprentice was blind to a lot they guess, despite all the time they spent around Bluefrost she had been bereft to notice the swelling of her stomach. They were blind to the opportunities she had underneath her guidance, they still thought her to be a stick in the mud but knowing that a goodbye was on the horizon shone a new light on things.

The regret of not working harder, volunteering to do more. In the apprentice's mind she wouldn’t be allowed to see the smoke anymore, that she would fall into being a stranger to them. “Am I allowed to still talk to you when you go to the nursery?” They're not sure what pulls them to ask this as it stirred from deep within a well of insecurity. The memories of her mothers own cold shoulder within the nursery walls. They grew up not really thinking that she could speak freely with the queens, no matter how kindly the others were. So this was a goodbye right? They know what happens, Sootspot had told her about Downyfur when Rattleheart joined the ranks of the queens. “Can’t I just… stop being an apprentice until you’re out?” It’s a selfish request, they know that.

• ooc. @BLUEFROST
  •  
  • Brackenpaw
    they/she, tunneler apprentice of Windclan, 9 moons (ages on the 22nd)
    a lithe and fragile looking calico that looks like they still need to grow into her ears
    Speech, thoughts, attacking
    NPC x NPC, mentored by Bluefrost
    easy to befriend other kits, gradually harder to befriend every rank after that
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Juice ↛ @/ouijeejuice on discord, feel free to dm for plots.
    All opinions are IC!! Bracken is a little hater

One of her biggest regrets is losing Brackenpaw to gentle, misguided paws. She fears the tortoiseshell will backslide in her training, in her conquering of the tunnels, while Bluefrost resides for moons in the nursery, and she curses herself quietly as the speckled apprentice turns to face her. The sunlight gilds her silhouette, burns in questioning amber eyes. "Am I still allowed to talk to you when you go to the nursery?" Bluefrost's green gaze searches her apprentice's yellow for a heartbeat. "Yes," she answers after a moment. "In fact, I hope you do. I want to know how your training goes."

She falters, her tail tip twitching uncomfortably. Brackenpaw will be following a new cat under the earth, pressing their flank to a new cat's at the borders. I was meant to see you to warriorhood. I was meant to make you great.

"I wish you could. I wish I could stop time." She exhales slowly. "You will become a great warrior without me now, and maybe someday you will mentor my kits and make up for lost time..." She drifts off, a frown tugging at her muzzle.

• ooc:
  • 69334192_7vVwuq2U19bWMTh.png
  • Bluekit . Bluepaw . Bluefrost, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 16 moons old, ages realistically on the 14th.
    — mentored by Sootstar ; mentoring Brackenpaw ; previously mentored n/a.
    — windclan warrior. sootstar x weaselclaw, gen 2.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh blue smoke she-cat with white and emerald eyes. aloof, dignified, poised, haughty, composed, distant.

There’s relief, a weight off of shoulders that Brackenpaw didn’t realise was there to begin with. She had expected a no, though she wasn’t entirely sure why. “Won’t you be bored listening to how training is going?” She grimaces at the thought, they think that they would be bored at least. This was Bluefrost though, of course she’d want to talk about training of all things. “I’ll come visit whenever I can” they nod, mostly to themself as they make up their mind on this fact. It wasn’t a goodbye, more so a I’ll see you later, that felt a little better.

The thought of time marching on with no way to stop it makes them feel queasy, acutely aware of the world spinning around them. They dig their paws into the ground in an attempt to stop that feeling, they should be happy about no longer being her apprentice. She would have been at the start, now it feels weird, like something was missing. Would that go away with time too? The mention of her kits causes Brackenpaw to childishly fake a gag. “Gross, won’t I be old by the time that happens?” in their own way it’s an attempt at a joke.

The thought is strange, being old enough to have an apprentice beside her. She wonders if she would even be any good at it, currently? No. Not at all but maybe when they’re old they will be. “Maybe. I guess that would be cool. Will you be able to be there when I'm named a warrior?” she decides on saying finally, even if by then Bluefrost won't be her mentor they wanted to at least share that experience with her. After a moment of silence she decides to ask a question that had been on her mind since she heard about the news. “Are you excited to be having kits?" There's a curiosity in her expression as she squints at her. It was a rather blunt way to put it but when had she ever been anything but that.

• ooc.
  •  
  • Brackenpaw
    they/she, tunneler apprentice of Windclan, 9 moons (ages on the 22nd)
    a lithe and fragile looking calico that looks like they still need to grow into her ears
    Speech, thoughts, attacking
    NPC x NPC, mentored by Bluefrost
    easy to befriend other kits, gradually harder to befriend every rank after that
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Juice ↛ @/ouijeejuice on discord, feel free to dm for plots.
    All opinions are IC!! Bracken is a little hater

Brackenpaw mews, "Won't you be bored listening to how training is going?" Bluefrost's face is dim with amusement. Of course, her apprentice has been disdainful of her position as protege since she'd left the nursery. "Not at all. You think listening to kits chatter and queens gossip is more interesting?" She flicks her nicked ear, a wry smile creasing her pale muzzle. Brackenpaw, even after her jab, promises to visit whenever they can.

Perhaps we aren't mentor and apprentice anymore, Bluefrost thinks, but perhaps we can be friends now. That was not possible before — not when she had so many mental obstacles to overcome with the white-splashed tortoiseshell.

"Gross, won't I be old by the time that happens?" Bluefrost's whiskers twitch. "You shall be a warrior, no doubt, unless you never learn to shovel dirt with those lazy paws." The smoke-furred queen shakes her head, as if despairing. "But yes, I will be one of the first to call your new name. Even if I have to bring a horde of kits into the clearing with me." There's a gleam in her green gaze, though her smile fades.

"Are you excited to be having kits?" An innocent question. Bluefrost thinks of the kits' father, his pelt scoured with scars, his ribs exposed to the elements; she thinks of Cottonsprig, her milk-scent hidden by the spice of her herbs; she thinks of secrets, secrets, secrets.

She thinks of Sootstar, burying her claws into the snow as she brought blood and legacy into the world.

Am I excited?

"I am..." She trails off, unsure. "I am ready," she mews, and though there's a hint of a quaver in the way she tilts her voice skyward, beneath her warbling words, there's steely determination.

• ooc:
  • 69334192_7vVwuq2U19bWMTh.png
  • Bluekit . Bluepaw . Bluefrost, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 17 moons old, ages realistically on the 14th.
    — mentored by Sootstar ; mentoring Brackenpaw ; previously mentored n/a.
    — windclan lead warrior and queen. sootstar x weaselclaw, gen 2.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh blue smoke she-cat with white and emerald eyes. aloof, dignified, poised, haughty, composed, distant.