private dangerously fine and unforgiven } slatetooth

Time was dwindling away until they would all have to fight their - hopefully - last stand against Sootstar and her loyalists. Yet, Rattleheart found that he could only think about those that wouldn't be able to participate in the battle. The wounded and the young, the ones who needed to be protected up until they were guaranteed to have their home back. Blizzardkit in particular lingered in his mind, the little one that Slatetooth had rescued from the snow and that all of them had adopted into their group. The tunneler had been trying his hardest not to be too overbearing - not to let his own fantasies about having kits of his own influence him too much - but he knew he'd already practically fallen into the trap of looking at Blizzardkit like family. Which was extra dangerous when there were so many threats hanging over their heads, and so much potential for loss.

His worries carried him over from his sister to Slatetooth, tail twitching behind him as he settled nearby and cleared his scratchy throat to grab the younger warrior's attention. "Slatetooth, could we talk?" It was an active effort to make himself appear relaxed, not unsettled by Slatetooth himself but so wrapped up in his own anxiety that it was difficult for him to just sit there and speak. Thankfully his tail seemed to be the only part of his body betraying him, twitching and swaying with every irregular twist of his heart. "I wanted to... I know you know that the coming battle will be dangerous. And that some of us may end up dying in trying to take back our home. I just want to make sure that no matter what happens, Blizzardkit is taken care of." Truthfully, he had no doubt that if somehow both of them ended up falling in the battle, Windclan would work together to make sure that Blizzardkit was taken care of no matter what. However, if one of them ended up living when the other didn't, Rattleheart wanted to make sure things were planned for ahead of time.

// @slatetooth
[ PENNED BY EO ]

-ˋˏ ༻☽༺ ˎˊ- Time was of the essence. It was precious. Everywhere about the barn, cats were tying up loose ends, some saying their hypothetical goodbyes before the coming battle that would seal their fate, one way or another. Then sat Slatetooth, crouched in his usual spot at the outskirts of the building while the injured were tended to and the fearful were confiding in others. He watched the exiles with half-closed eyes, pondering his own fate. Would this battle be his last?

His thoughts were startled by a soft 'ahem' from a nearby cat, and shortly after, Slatetooth sat up and straightened his posture. Rattleheart asked to talk, and for the life of him, he cannot figure out why. As relaxed as the older warrior appears to be, his tail gives him away, spreading his nervousness towards the black-furred tom as well like a contagion. But, as soon as Rattleheart speaks, he is reminded of the one similarity between the two: Blizzardkit.

He confided in Rattleheart, if only briefly, when the snow-white child was brought into the barn - anxious and insecure, desiring a little push to assure him that he had done the right thing. Although every cat has been watching over the kit, it wasn't hard to notice the particular affection Rattleheart shared for it, for Slatetooth harbored some of that feeling of kinship too - perhaps a little of his own version of longing for family, as well. "Of course," he says in response, softly as he could - through the gravel of his voice gives away his own discomfort with the possibility. "I know the.. possibility, of some cats not making it home. You have my word that Blizzardkit will be safe and looked after, no matter what. Will you promise the same?"

• slate.png
  • SLATETOOTH he/him, moor-runner of windclan, 17 moons.
    a reclusive short-haired black tom with low white and green eyes.
    mate to no one. son of lynxtooth x adelaide. brother to gravelsnap and ashpaw.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by ixora@.ixora on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

A certain relief filled Rattleheart as Slatetooth spoke, even as a mutual discomfort passed between the two of them. Accepting the reality that any of them could end up falling in the coming battle was a difficult thing, but at least the other seemed to understand where his worries laid. The nod that he offered was slightly stiff, but not out of any real hesitation over the request. Instead he just wanted to make sure he had thought it over - had fully considered what he was agreeing to. "Yes, I will. Blizzardkit... they've already been through so much, even at such a young age. Without their mother, Windclan is really the only family that they'll have. I have no problem making sure that they're safe and taken care of. I won't let leafbare take that from them." There was a slightly glassy look to his pale gaze, deep in thought. Even if he had never been particularly close to his own parents, it was hard to imagine what his life would be like if he had been entirely without them. If he had ended up losing his mother like Blizzardkit had, when he was barely weaned.

And though his thoughts were certainly focused on Blizzardkit's wellbeing, he found that his mind wasn't totally ripped away from the warrior in front of him, either. A moor runner who seemed so separated from the rest, as if he didn't know who to turn to or who to say goodbye to. He seemed alone, even with Gravelsnap present alongside him. It made Rattleheart's chest ache. "I'm glad we both agree, but I also... I also hope that any promises won't be needed. That we'll all be able to just retake our home and have our lives back again. I know it must be hard for you like the rest of us, being away from the moors." He had always taken more naturally to the tunnels, rather than the moorland that covered them, but he also understood the longing for home that held them all in an iron grip. There wouldn't be peace for any of them until camp was once again theirs.
[ PENNED BY EO ]

-ˋˏ ༻☽༺ ˎˊ- Despite everything, Slatetooth managed a smile. It is tight, and weary, dragged down by the fear and uncertainty of it all - but it is genuine, a sign of gratefulness with a touch of relief. "I knew you would," Slatetooth replied, as gentle as he could muster. Rattleheart was a kind cat, he came to realize, someone trusting and dependable. He had no doubt that he wouldn't leave the kitten's side, even if both warriors live to see it. "Yes.. they have been through much. So much tragedy for someone so young, so innocent. To lose your mother at such a young age.."

There is a solemn edge to his voice as it finally trails off, and a forlorn look to his eyes. He remembers his own mother, ripped away from him by his father - only four moons old, he and Gravelsnap were. It was all he hoped that WindClan would be kinder to Blizzardkit than it was to him.

As Rattleheart speaks of the moors, Slatetooth is brought back to the present. Another small, bittersweet smile forms upon his maw. "I hope so too. I miss WindClan, and I do miss the moors. I can't wait to have the wind in my ears again, well.. without the cold, ideally." He speaks awkwardly, navigating the uncharted waters of an emotional conversation with someone else. Even a joke is cracked, though his voice wavers, and he regrets the poor timing of humor as soon as he speaks it. Slatetooth shakes his head again, smile diminishing as his thin tail curls around his hindquarters. "I uh.. I know we will make it home. I'm sure you miss the tunnels just as much as I miss the grass and heather." He finishes off with. "And.. thank you for speaking with me, Rattleheart. It has been comforting."

His thoughts return to Blizzardkit, and Rattleheart's promise. He hoped that Blizzardkit would be safe in the barn while they move out. He hopes that they will both live to bring them to their new home. He hopes that hope will be worth thinking of in the end.
  • ooc: mobile post, apologies if it appears rushed!
  • SLATETOOTH he/him, moor-runner of windclan, 17 moons. a reclusive short-haired black tom with low white and green eyes. mate to no one. son of lynxtooth x adelaide. brother to gravelsnap and ashpaw. peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking penned by ixora@.ixora on discord, feel free to dm for plots.