DID I DISAPPOINT YOU | intro

scorchfrost

warrior
Oct 24, 2022

Scorchfrost was not known for his social skills. The older warrior preferred to spend his days in his own company or on some form of patrol. Hunting, Border, Training, anything worked for him. He rarely sat calmly in the camp when everything was going well. He could not imagine idling when there were more new cats, new kits, arriving every fortnight. He didn't know where they were coming from, but they were here and needed to eat. He didn't care much about introducing himself or acquiring friends, it just wasn't something he needed to do.
He'd just gotten off a hunting patrol, headed to the fresh-kill pile with a large rat in his maw, when he found himself beset upon.

He was not genuinely beset upon. He'd just been startled by another cat coming up beside him.
" Fox dung! " He snapped, dropping the rat in favour of turning to look at the other cat with exasperation. " What about the rat in my mouth made you think it was a good idea to sneak up on me? "

/ literally anyone can be that cat, I've no clue how to intro scorch help

[ YOU CAN'T BREAK MY SPIRIT ]

Clan-life wasn’t so different than her old life, Sweets had decided just a day into being reluctantly let into their ranks. She had already taken to learning so much, such as their two-part names, their ranks, the little ones that often liked to spring faux-attacks on the grumbling warriors.
The only thing the molly had yet to do was actually meet her new clanmates.
While she had always possessed feather-like steps, living in a marsh had made something that used to be so natural a little bit harder. She hadn’t really meant to sneak up on the warrior, but she supposed half of her mind had been focused on taking light steps.
She parted her maw to introduce herself, but the curse made her stop, blinking towards the fallen rat before shifting back to the tom.
"Oh… I didn’t mean to, I’m sorry! I can help you catch another one if it’s ruined-" she began, her tone sincere as could be. "I’m Sweets, I just wanted to say hi" she added after a moment, feeling a bit sheepish now that she had made the other drop his prey.
"Speech."
[ COCOA BUTTER KISSES ]

Scorchfrost's fur was so upended, it appeared as though it would fall straight into the fresh-kill pile. Slogmaw - who'd previously thought himself to be incapable of feeling compassion - found himself pitying the other male and his inability to remain composed. Hell, Sweets must have been the most nonthreatening face amongst their ranks, and yet she caused the poor soul to nearly jump out of his own skin. He ought to be taught a lesson or two one of these days.

"Hey," he called, attempting to garner Scorchfrost's attention as he trailed behind the elegant she-cat. Brows curled and stony-faced, Smogmaw looked just peachy as he came to a halt. "I'm no medicine cat," began the tom, "but I think poppy seeds soothe distress. Perhaps you should look into 'em."

[ AND THE BASTARD WALKS BY ]

Starclan. He'd snapped at a newcomer and was hardly a few strides into camp. Breath in, breath out, his frustration smoothed as close to neutrality as it could. " It's fine. " Nothing was wrong with the rat, just himself. " It's fine. The rat didn't drop far. " The only bruise was to his ego, especially as Smogmaw piped up. Scorchfrost huffed quietly, making a conscious effort to stem the shaking of his tensed shoulders. " I was just startled. I don't need any poppy seeds. " His voice was more scornful than it needed to be, but it hid anything else that may have lingered. " It is nice to meet you, Sweets. I'm Scorchfrost. "

Smogmaw was ignored for the moment.

I've no time for confession
A cackle comes trailing from the marsh and large paws go stepping across the soggy land to approach the small gathering. Of course, it's only by coincidence he's happened upon this conversation because what he really wanted was the food. Wolverinefang works hard not to lick his chops at the sight of the juicy rat, instead nodding toward his clanmates with a toothy smile. Seeing a cute girl in their midst almost makes him choke on air but he's slowly getting used to the female persuasion now without having a heart attack. Still, talking upfront to girls is too scary (only Flickerfire, elders, and to an extent, Bonejaw have broken that habit), so he speaks in generals.

"Smogmaw's got a point. He's so keyed up because he never takes a break. You know Scorch it's okay to do literally anything else right?" Or virtually nothing at all, like him. It was only this last year that he stopped looking like a gangly mange rat after all so he managed to get away with it on pity points but his luck will run out sooner than later.
✦ ★ ✦

With the approach of the black and white tom, Scorchfrost tensed up almost instinctively. He wasn't sure what it was about him that set discomfort rolling down his spine, maybe the weird cackle or... no, it was probably the cackle. " I never take a break? " Scorch almost laughed in disbelief, his previous calm melting away. He couldn't believe that someone like this was saying that to him. " I'm not sure what you understand, kit, but taking a break isn't exactly helpful when our fresh-kill pile grows slimmer by the day, and we always have more mouths to feed. Shadowclan is so freshly formed that any bad fight or unmarked border could set the odds in another clan's favour. " A snarl rose to his lips, and the fur along his spine began to rise. " If you want not to eat, go right ahead. I'm not stopping you. "

I've no time for confession
Wolverinefang has been hounded by the older cats about his attitude since kithood and none worse than his deceased mentor. If he's heard it once, he's heard it a thousand times, to the point that words of this flavor melt off him like water on a duck's back. Sure, he's not a particularly motivated cat and doing chores is a drag but that doesn't make him a deadweight either. He lets Scorchfrost say his piece, even allowing a silence to hang shortly before he takes in a deep breath, "See? Just talking about a break sets him off."

Shadowclan might not be the best off ever but he doesn't like to think of his home as so vulnerable. Even he's aware that maybe that's too optimistic but that's just how he is. "All that doom and gloom can't be healthy," he shrugs.

✦ ★ ✦