DID I MISTAKE YOU? [ greeneyes ]

Jun 11, 2023
CALLIN' IT QUITS NOW ✧°.☀ ————————————
Apprenticeship. He wasn't sure he was totally ready for it just yet. The morning after the gathering (which also happened to be the morning after the meeting), Falconpaw cracked his eyes open, and as he picked his head up, anxiety started to chew at his nerves. He inhaled quietly, staring out at camp from within the apprentice den, doing a mental recap of everything that had happened since he arrived at Skyclan. Dad dropped you off with your sisters. You were given a caretaker. Other kits didn't like you. You were given an apprentice name. You went to the gathering. It was like a small whirlwind of activity, the last couple of days.

A sigh left him as he pushed to his paws, stretching and slipping out of the den. He squinted, adjusting to the sunlight. Sunlight? His ears flattened, looking around for his mentor. Hopefully, he wasn't late. Did Greeneyes set an appointment or something akin to that for them? Falconpaw chewed on his cheek as he looked about for his new mentor.

@GREENEYES

"SPEECH"
[penned by dallas - ]
———————————— ☀.°✧ BABY, I'M A WRECK

dfsiw1w-6a338f22-aae1-492a-977c-37693fa88d2d.gif
He nearly forgets.

Nearly forgets, as he opens his eyes to a new day - as he blinks back sleep, and lets out a yawn. Greeneyes nearly forgets, as he thinks forward to the day's duties, as he tries to remember which patrols he's meant to go on, who he's meant to hunt with.

It's a shift in his days as a warrior - in his responsibilities - that will linger for moons to come, and he nearly forgets.

He has an apprentice now. He is a mentor.

The memory of such a fact - of the ceremony that only happened the day before, the feeling of unpreparedness as he pressed noses with a pointed scrap of fur - jolts Greeneyes to his paws. Falconpaw's probably waiting for him, probably. This is their first real day of training together, after all, and Greeneyes can remember eagerly waiting for Sheepcurl to arrive so they could get to training. So... Falconpaw must be waiting too, right...?

As he emerges from the warrior's den, the young warrior feels just as unprepared as he'd done the night before. If he'd almost forgotten a whole child - one that would be his responsibility for the next couple of seasons - how could he be ready to be a mentor? Stars, he hopes Falconpaw hasn't been waiting too long.

Orange and white paws bring Greeneyes towards the den he'd only moved out of just moons ago, and oh, how lucky he is - Falconpaw is just leaving the den himself. Relief washes over him then, if only for a brief moment. Because... now what? What does one do on their first day of mentoring?

He'll show him around the territory, he thinks. Maybe take him to the borders, if there's time. That sounded about right.

"Falconpaw!" he chirps in greeting as he approaches the apprentice den. "Morning, amigo! Ready for your first day of training?" Hopefully one of them is.

Relief washes over Falconpaw- much like Greeneyes was feeling- as he turned to face the young warrior. He looked up at him, almost eagerly, thought feelings pooling in his stomach made him start to feel otherwise. Was this okay? Could he lean into clan life and enjoy it? He didn't know. His ears twitched at the call of the taller- returning a call himself. "Greeneyes." He mewed in greeting, dipping his head slightly.

Ready? His head tilted quietly, eyes shifting towards the entrance of camp- then back towards the den he had emerged from. His sisters hopefully still fast asleep or moving to meet their mentors shortly. He looked back towards Greeneyes. "Um, yes, I think so." He cocked his head gently. "What are we doing first?" He asked, unable to ignore that natural curiosity that found him and reared it's head. At least it wasn't an angry feeling, which he was sure Zap was feeling.

"SPEECH"
[penned by dallas - ]

dfsiw1w-6a338f22-aae1-492a-977c-37693fa88d2d.gif
Falconpaw bows his head to Greeneyes in greeting and the tom can't help but wonder if he'd done the same thing to Sheepcurl upon his first training session with her. He can't remember - but he can remember how excited he was to be an apprentice, the eagerness to learn radiating off of him.

And while he thinks Falconpaw might share that same eagerness, the tom hears what he thinks is uncertainty in his voice as he answers him, as he asks what they're going to be doing. Perhaps it's his own uncertainty assuming such of the apprentice, though.

"Well --" he starts with a hum, crooked tail swaying side to side, "I thought I could show you around the territory! There's so much more to the forest we live in than the camp, after all!" Of course, Falconpaw has already seen a portion of it upon his arrival, but not all the essential things, like the tallpines, or the rockpile. ​

Falconpaw nodded his head gently as Greeneyes spoke. He hadn't gotten to see a lot of the territory on the way in from the sewers, but he had seen more then the other kits had that had been born into camp. He considered that an advantage. Nervousness was biting at him, of course, but Falconpaw had that strange kind of bravado about him- nervous confidence, or whichever it was called. He wasn't going to let his nerves get the best of him, definitely not on the first day of his apprenticeship.

He smiled up at Greeneyes, deciding to try and push his nerves away. "That sounds good to me. I'd like to learn my surroundings." He confirmed, then glanced towards the edge of camp. "Where are we gonna go first? It.. it is a big territory, right?" Falconpaw asked, his bright eyes shifting back towards Greeneyes as he waited for his answer. If Greeneyes began to lead them, Falconpaw would follow, a little pep in his step.

"SPEECH"
[penned by dallas - ]