private don't take these beautiful things // witherkit

nightingalecry

a want to go back , 6.16.24
Jan 5, 2023
She would say one last child, but such isn't true. Whilst Witherkit is the only remaining of her biological brood, she has three more she must talk to. The confusion in them must be palpable, comparable even to the discontent displaying itself in that of her son. Should she have kept him last, in the dark over what she would've gifted him as a name whilst his sisters likely mocked him with theirs? Maybe she should have told them all at once.

"Hey, my darling flower," she catches up alongside the child as he plays with a bit of moss. Soon, they'll each be 'paws. Their chance to change their names is quickly approaching and it scares her - she hopes she can be there to at least see it. "Have you spoken with your sisters?" she asks next, almost anticipatorily, before offering him a soft smile, "I mean to tell you, too - I hope you don't think I've forgotten about you...!" Nightingalecry would never forget about him. Her little boy, almost a mirror image of his father. Maybe even Ebonylight's favorite...

"If you're curious..." she lowers her voice as if it's a secret, however she's not told any of the other children to hold it tight to their chests. And even as she defects from her partner in the most minute way... "I think I would give you Lightkit as a name." It's simpler than his sisters, and it binds him forever to his father, but the thought doesn't linger. "You are brighter than the son, sweet boy. To wither is to decay and you are far from it. You are sproutly, growing... blossoming -" Blossomkit? She nearly shakes her head in dismissal of her own thoughts. "Your father would be proud, too, I think... to have you named for him, instead."

@Witherkit

His mother's sweet voice breaks his intense concentration on some moss hunting. Any other cat may have been met with at least disapproval, can't a cat see when he is busy perfecting his hunting crouch, but his mother would never be met with upset. The young tom lifts his tail in greeting and bumps his head against his mother's neck, this causes him to realize just how tall he was getting, he'll be taller than her soon enough he thinks. He'll be able to take good care of her then.

His mother mentions if his sister's had told him anything, they think about it for a second and it seems familiar. Although his sisters talk a lot and he isn't always bothered to hear it, so he shrugs as an answer. He sits down in front of her, curling a tail over patiently placed paws. He was curious, he still wasn't quite sure what information he was about to learn but either way they were eager. She begins to tell him, and now they recall his sister's raving on about names, it would have been what mom named them. Lightkit, it sits in his mind for a minute, swirling it around trying to get the feel of it.

Ebonylight, the concept of being tied to his father even closer than in just appearance is something. They aren't quite sure how they feel about it, they love their father but they can't help but already be a little distant to the name Ebonylight gave him, to be tied even closer by name is almost claustrophobic. But, maybe his mother didn't even consider Ebonylight's suffix when she thought of the name, she went on to say it's because he is brighter than the sun and that it is nearly the opposite of what his name currently means. He smiles, a warmth of pride that their mother thinks so highly of them burns deep in his gut. He takes the notion that his father would be proud, but it doesn't mean quite nearly as much.

"Do you..." he pauses for a moment trying to think of how to word their next question "Do you think I should ask Sunstar to rename me?" they couldn't help but notice how downtrodden his current name seemed to make her.

"speech"