eyes without a face // one-shot

browniepaw

you threw me straight into inarticulation
May 28, 2023
Theres a pitter patter of paws as they prance to the door like they usually do, and from there they begin their caterwauling. It’s how every day starts, and their twoleg knows it as she emerges from her den cavern, where her nest lies. Blue eyes light up at the sight of her and Browniepaw is quick to scamper over and rub their side against her hairless legs. It’s odd to see, Brownie thinks, maybe they need to grow more fur.

They’re eventually released after their breakfast, and their next objective is to go see Oceandust. The winds are howling today, even more so than the last time they had been out. Brownie knows they’ve been missing from camp for a little bit, their twoleg avoiding letting them out on the days where the clouds hang ominously overhead. It frustrates them, to be quite honest. They want to be out and about! And they want to be helpful to Skyclan once more.

The first thing they notice as they leap over Ocean’s fence is that the hole she usually gets out of… isn’t there anymore? Browniepaw blinks in surprise, but they make their way further in to the yard, closer to the door. Where was the hole in it? Weird patches of tree bark cover it. "Oceandust? Yoo-hoo, where are you?" they voice their thoughts as if it were a simple game of cat-and-mouse, their eyes light up. Maybe she’s hiding! Brownie does like games, but they can’t exactly remember the last time Oceandust decided to humor them with one.

Theres a flash at the transparent door, a blue coat and there stands Oceandust behind it. She looks sad, but then again, Oceandust always looked sad. Brownie doesn’t think much of it as they bound forth, pawing at the door excitedly. "Hi, Oceandust! I’ve come to walk you to camp! My twoleg finally let me out!" their voice chimes in excitement, but Oceandust only shakes her head slowly.

She opens her mouth. Her voice is insanely muffled, and Brownie leans forwards to press their ear against the window. “I can’t come with you. I don’t know if I ever will be again. I’ve been trapped in here for days.” Brownie blinks, their nose wrinkling in confusion. What?

"Thats okay. I’ll come back for you tomorrow!" Brownie shouts over the wind, ducking as a stray ball flies over the fence from the other yard. It heads straight over them and they let out a sigh of relief. Oceandust looks frustrated now.

Kid, what don’t you understand? I’m not coming back. My twoleg has made it clear.” a small whine leaves their throat as they press their face against the window. They open their mouth to speak, but Oceandust silences them. “Give it up.” and she turns, and walks out of the frame. Brownie’s left staring at her, processing what happened as they feel their coat being pulled by the wind.

Theres no way, they think. But there is a way, and they just have to accept Oceandust isn’t coming back anymore.

They return to camp dejected today, happiness zapped. Later than normal, Brownie doesn’t know how long they stood in Oceandusts yard, staring at the place she had disappeared in to. How do they tell Blazestar? They decide to do it later, opting instead to mope in the apprentice den.

A tragedy, really. Brownie doesn’t really want a new mentor. They lost their friend, and it hurts. They curl up tighter.
"speech"​

Last edited: