FEAR AND ALARM [ moon ]

claythorn

AIN'T A DROP OF BAD BLOOD
Jan 7, 2024
That day still sat heavy in her mind.

The one about her mother. Things she hadn't thought about for months were suddenly surfacing, gnawing at the side of her brain like she was a chewtoy. Otterpaw's distrust and glares were evident, and while Claypaw would normally find herself uncaring, Claypaw had found that reaction in the face of her defense of Riverclan's most important assets upsetting, to say the least. Okay, she needed to reword that. Jaws heavy with moss, she stepped towards the medicine den.

Moonpaw was far from an 'asset', though that's what Claypaw had previously labeled those important to her as so. Regardless of that, Claypaw had not only defended a Riverclanner- someone she did not share blood, milk, or nursery with- but she had murdered her own blood-mother to do it. A funny twinge found it's way into her stomach, something that she had batted away each time it surfaced. Her nose poked into the den.

"Moonpaw? I have somethin' for you." Her speech was muffled by moss, but clear enough regardless- mismatched golden eyes staring into the den.

@Moonpaw
 ° .  . ° 
  • ooc:
    "yuh"

• a large, lh chocolate torbie towering, nine moons old, she/her. well-build and muscled. a drypaw. former river colony cat.

If she was being honest, though Moonpaw had thought of that day on the border a few times it wasn't nearly as much as Claypaw had been thinking of it. It was something that had an effect on Moonpaw sure but after everything had been said and done she wasn't related to the cat that had been killed, hadn't been the one to do the final blow - or any blow really - and she wasn't the one being questioned about loyalty with passing glances from some that had been there. While Moonpaw didn't care for the rivalry between those clan-born and those not after the recent battles with the rogues she understood the hesitance to accept those that were now living among them fully as one of their own, not after those that they had so graciously taken into the clan had been some that were included with the battle by the river.

With the recent disappearance of her mentor too Moonpaw had been spending more time within the den making sure that it was tidy and clean, that no herbs were out of place and that things were as well stocked as she could have them and was currently straightening out what she could before the muffled voice of another caused the white moggie to quickly turn around. Lost in her own little world Moonpaw had been startled by the sudden appearance of a clanmate, fur flattening down and eyes softening slightly as she realized who it was. Claypaw wasn't someone that she would consider a close friend but on the small occasions that they did cross paths she was friendly enough and despite what had happened on the border she did enjoy the other's company.

When she saw the moss that Claypaw carried towards her Moonpaw waved her tail as a motion for the other to come in. Luckily everyone that would have been healing within the medicine den were healed enough to go back to duties fully or be on light duties in their own nests so another body within the den was not only not a bother but it was a welcomed distraction from how empty it was. "Thank you Claypaw." She'd speak, offering the other a small purr of gratification, moving whatever moss Claypaw would drop to the side to let it dry out in a spot out of the way before casting a glance to the other. "How have you been?" Since the skirmish at the border, since the battle, since getting back to training. Anything to keep silence outside the den.

• --
  • 76563872_jZr368yA5Er3eOs.png
    MEDICINE CAT IN TRAINING;
    FLESH WOUNDS
    ꕥꕥ INFECTIONS
    ACHES & PAINS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ILLNESS
    ꕥꕥꕥ BREATHING ISSUES
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ TRAVELING HERBS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ BROKEN BONES
    ꕥꕥ KITTING
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ POISONS
  • 76807578_J7HAFb99CicY51c.png
    SH white masking cinnamon torbie w/orange eyes & small ears
    speaks softly & often found humming
    11 moons old; ages the 17th every month
    homosexual homoromantic ; interested in beepaw & redacted
    currently being mentored by ravensong
    easy to befriend/interact with ; hard to anger/upset
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    easy in combat unless in water, focuses on defensive tactics
    peaceful powerplay allowed

Moonpaw had been spooked by Clay's appearance- which, she understood, to a point. Claypaw wasn't the loudest, and even if she was setting her paws down loud enough to be detected, it appeared it wouldn't have mattered either way. Her eyes scanned over the den briefly and swiftly. It's totally organized. Top to bottom. Moonpaw gestured her inside, so Claypaw stepped fully into the medicine den, which was nearly entirely empty right now. A good sign, Claypaw reflected as she scanned the empty sick-nests.

The moss was laid down, and she assisted moving it to the side. Mismatched golden eyes shifted back towards Moonpaw, scanning her figure once. The apprentice had been brave enough to have stood in the face of death herself, didn't panic. For that, Claypaw had some measure of respect. Hazel was always an intimidating figure- her ears snapped forward as Moonpaw spoke, dragging her back to reality with a harsh jerk. "Don't mention it." Claypaw responded, voice quiet but a hint warm.

How have you been? Was it small talk, or was it deeper? Claypaw took a moment to consider her answer as she slowly sat, her tail moving to wrap over nicked paws. "Busy. Darkbranch has my training on lock. He isn't happy I managed to run off to save you and Otterpaw, but the... defense I applied to the situation has him taking my battle skills more seriously then before." Perhaps that's the most she's ever spoken to Moonpaw, but it felt a bit freeing to actually hold a full conversation with someone that wasn't her and herself alone.

"How are you? Your back?" She asked, tail flicking towards the injuries that Moonpaw had sustained at the edge of the territory. If anything, Claypaw was more upset that she wasn't there sooner to prevent those injuries.
 ° .  . ° 
  • ooc:
    "yuh"

• a large, lh chocolate torbie towering, nine moons old, she/her. well-build and muscled. a drypaw. former river colony cat.

Moonpaw silently moved the moss alongside Claypaw, her tail soon tucking over her own paws as she realized the moss was now relocated and Claypaw was speaking once more, answering the white moggie's question. She hadn't really meant anything more behind it, at least not at first, but she was glad for the company and the conversation so long as the older apprentice was willing to have it with her so she could only hope that's how Claypaw was taking it too, an invitation to speak rather than something forced.

She nod her head slightly as she was told of Darkbranch keeping Claypaw's training on lock, tail-tip twitching slightly at the mention of the other having to run off to save herself and Otterpaw. "It's good he's taking them more seriously now, we always need strong warriors." But she didn't have to tell that to Claypaw, she already knew that strong cats were needed whether it be fighting off rogues or other clans, she'd likely already thought of the potential of what could happen if those that were strong fighters became no more. "I'm betting he's getting you ready for your assessment, that's coming up soon right?" Moonpaw had dreamed of the day she would have her own assessment when she was younger, but now she wasn't sure if she'd have one or not, unsure if that was something Ravensong would do with her later on down the road when he was back or if it was simply something medicine cats didn't do.

When the other asked about her back Moonpaw couldn't help but turn slightly to see the wing-like scoring of scars across her shoulder blades though she quickly turned back towards the other and shrugged. "I was lucky I think, despite what happened. I always wanted cool scars... and they don't hurt anymore which is good, haven't for a while." She'd offer the other a soft smile then. Although once she went on this new path she didn't think she'd gain any scars she'd once thought of them as the coolest things ever, something that was earned in deathly battle, and though she didn't enjoy how she got these scars and a younger version of herself would think she didn't deserve them due to the outcome of the fight that had caused them she'd take them in stride now, a reminder to be careful who she trusted but to not hold too many too far as well.

• --
  • 76563872_jZr368yA5Er3eOs.png
    MEDICINE CAT IN TRAINING;
    FLESH WOUNDS
    ꕥꕥ INFECTIONS
    ACHES & PAINS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ILLNESS
    ꕥꕥꕥ BREATHING ISSUES
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ TRAVELING HERBS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ BROKEN BONES
    ꕥꕥ KITTING
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ POISONS
  • 76807578_J7HAFb99CicY51c.png
    SH white masking cinnamon torbie w/orange eyes & small ears
    speaks softly & often found humming
    11 moons old; ages the 17th every month
    homosexual homoromantic ; interested in beepaw & redacted
    currently being mentored by ravensong
    easy to befriend/interact with ; hard to anger/upset
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    easy in combat unless in water, focuses on defensive tactics
    peaceful powerplay allowed

Her shoulders shifted as she settled- a strange feeling settled into her gut, one she only wore when she was alone in the sparse forest of Riverclan. Safety, was it? In the snake's camp, within a den meant for healing stranger blood. Eyes shifted along the walls of the den, attempting to identify why that was, but she couldn't label it. She couldn't. Perhaps it was because she knew that Moonpaw hadn't nessecarily told anyone else what had happened. Ears swiveled back, vision still cast about the den, identifying each nook and cranny. "Yeah, it is."

Her vision finally shifted back. "Should be easy. Hunt a fish. Spar my mentor. Recite the code, or something." Her shoulder lifted in a shrug. "I don't know what it is, but I know them all inside and out, anyways." Claypaw, at this point and time, hadn't considered that fishing could lead to swimming, but that was another story. Eyes blinked gently as Moonpaw turned to observe her back, and sincere guilt bubbled gently.

In a move unlike her, her voice softened. "I feel bad I wasn't there sooner. Cool scars are... one thing- but what it takes to get them isn't a reward. It's a stain, a reminder of what happened. Neither good or bad- it just 'is'." Her paws shifted. She would be one to talk, right? Bite marks coating her shoulders, a deep dig on her face, her ear... For her age, she was sporting a history of battles already. "... But yes, you were lucky." Her voice shifted back to normal, a gentle nod coming from her.

Claypaw's vision turned back towards the entrance of the den. "You don't think Beepaw or Otterpaw would tell them who I killed, right? ... The clan already despises the ex-colonists as it is." Perhaps she got too comfortable too fast with Moonpaw, but she couldn't be blamed, right? They had been through toil together, a struggle of battle.
 ° .  . ° 
  • ooc:
    "yuh"