private firework [ flycatcher ]

( ) It was the night after the meeting. Her clan-mates were sleeping beside her, but she was still very much awake. It wasn't nightmares keeping her awake this time, it was excitement. Many other warriors had earned their full names today, there were new apprentices, she had finally been officially accepted as a full warrior, and Flycatcher had been promoted to lead warrior. She wasn't too sure what a lead warrior, but she was still excited for him nonetheless.

As she fidgeted around in her nest, trying to fall asleep, the grunts from her sleeping den-mates caused her to quietly raise to her paws and sneak out from the den. Her paws were heavy from many sleepless nights prior to this, but she knew there was no way she would be sleeping any time soon. Flamewhisker would quietly slip from the camp's entrance, and begin to follow the main trail into the forest.

She took in a deep breath, enjoying the cool breeze that the leaf-fall air was bringing in. Leaves crunched underneath her paws, but she ignored it. She was simply taking a walk, not hunting. Suddenly, the crunching noise grew louder, and her ears perked in alarm. Was she being followed? The new warrior parted her jaws, and turned to look behind her.

//
@Flycatcher
( I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD ; YOU CAN BURY ME )

It had been a day since the meeting. A day since Flycatcher had been named a lead warrior. He still wasn't entirely sure what that meant for him moving forward and that made him both nervous and excited. He wasn't the only one who had reason to celebrate after the meeting either, there were new apprentices and new warriors named too. Flame had also been given a full warrior name too - Flamewhisker. He felt proud for his friend, as it proved she was now a true member of ThunderClan, though that had never been something he had ever doubted.

He doesn't mean to follow Flamewhisker initially. After returning from a late patrol, he had spent the past hour or so speaking with the NPC warriors who had accompanied him before being left on his own, admiring the night's sky whilst it was still warm enough to do so. He had been planning on retiring to the warrior's den soon when his eyes detect movement and Flycatcher looked over to see Flamewhisker quietly slipping out of camp. A prickle of concern washes over him watching her leave, knowing that she had been struggling to sleep since the fire. He doesn't like to think of her being alone at there, her only company being those dark thoughts, so he follows. Flycatcher doesn't follow with a clear intention of staying, If Flamewhisker wants him to leave, he'll leave, he just wants to make sure she's okay.

It doesn't take long for her to detect him following her, even he is aware that he wasn't exactly being quiet as he moved. When she stops and turns to look behind her, he steps out sheepishly, seeing no point in hiding since she already knew someone was there. "Hi, Flamewhisker," He mews casually, having to remind himself to add her suffix now, so used to just calling her Flame. His green eyes sweep over her, making note of whether she was alright or not. "Are you okay? I saw you slip out of camp earlier and I got worried."

( ) As she turns around, a familiar grey pelt steps out, a feeling of warmth rushes through her, and her tail raises in greeting. "Flycatcher! I was hoping it was you." she would greet, padding a few steps towards him. Suddenly, as if her words had finally processed, her eyes widened, and she would lick her chest fur embarrassedly a few times. "I mean, I was hoping it was you because I wanted to congratulate you." The new warrior offered the tom a genuine smile, hoping he wouldn't be able to read how nervous she was all of a sudden. Why was her heart racing?

"I'm alright, I promise...I apologize if I woke you...again" It seemed to be close to a nightly thing now. Sometimes she was able to make it through the night without the nightmares keeping her up, but here she was again, keeping someone else awake. "No nightmares this time...or at least not yet. I'm just too excited to sleep. You got promoted, I got my warrior name. Flamewhisker. It'll take some getting used to that's for sure...oh geez...I'm rambling. I'm sorry!" What on Earth was wrong with her?

He pauses when Flamewhisker blurts out that she was glad it was him she had turned around to find. "You were glad it was me?" He echoes softly, eyeing her curiously. Flycatcher chuckled when she backtracked a little to claim she was glad it was him so that she could congratulate him.

"Don't worry you didn't wake me this time," He assured her. "I was still awake in camp when I saw you leave and I got worried it might have been another bad dream for you." Flycatcher glanced at her briefly, noting she didn't seem too distressed and genuinely seemed excited as she so claimed. "I'm glad that isn't the case and you are alright though." When spoke of his promotion and her new name he nodded along to her words. "Seems like we both have much to celebrate," He said in a light tone. "And with your full warrior name that officially makes you one of us." Flycatcher would stop midway through his words to playfully nudge her and then add in a conspiratorial tone, "Forever."

( ) Forever

The words that he spoke seemed to echo throughout her mind. "I'm glad Emberstar let me stay." She said quietly, growing warm as she replayed the meeting in her mind. There was nothing more that she wanted to do, beside protect her new home and new family. "I haven't thought once about my life before, this is my new home." It was true, there hadn't been a time when she had doubted wanting to stay here, even when she had tried to tell a story, but ended up nearly having a panic attack instead. Maybe someday she would feel comfortable enough to share why she had joined the clan in the first place.

After speaking, Flamewhisker would shake out her pelt, then twitch her tail mischievously. "Say, now that my shoulder's all healed up, how's a race sound?" She lowered her shoulders forward, and bunched her hackles. The cool, leaf-fall air was chilly anyways, a race would be a nice warmup.

Flycatcher nodded in understanding to her words, though he could not claim to have completely forgotten his past life. He was a ThunderClan cat through and through now, even more so with the title of lead warrior, but he could not fully let go of his past. One day he would open up more about the hardships they faced before joining the pine group, but for now, he was content to remember the happier times.

Suddenly, Flamewhisker shook out her pelt and twitched her tail mischievously. She pointed out that as her shoulder was healed they could enjoy a race together. Flycatcher barely had time to think before he realised she was already leaning forward. "Do you know the Great Sycamore? Let's say the first one there wins," Flycatcher suggested. He tilted his head in a playful manner before bunching his hindquarters ready to spring forward. "Okay, I'll count down," Flycatcher said. "Threetwoone...GO!" He managed to blurt out before darting into the bushes in front of them.

( ) She nodded in agreement as he suggested the Great Sycamore. It wasn’t too far away, and it was along the way to the Shadowclan border. Her tail lashed behind her as she eagerly waited for him to do the countdown. Right before he finished his countdown, she would attempt to launch herself forward, hopefully getting a head start. If she were successful, she would laugh playfully before taking it more serious.

As her paws carried her along the forest floor, she couldn’t help but feel excited at how natural maneuvering the territory felt. This wasn’t an area she knew particularly well, but she had traveled this way a time or two. The tabby burst through a bush, sending an explosion of birds up into the air. They cawed it alarm, and she let out another laugh. It felt nice to not have any worries. All that mattered now was making it to the Great Sycamore. As she ran, Flame glanced over her shoulder to see if Flycatcher was nearby.

It is Flamewhisker who gets the headstart on their little impromptu race. As much as Flycatcher had hoped his hurried attempt at a countdown would give him an edge, Flamewhisker's hunched position allowed her to launch forward and quickly get ahead of him. She disappears out of sight for a moment, but a peel of laughter rings out in front of him, a sound which he can't help but join in with.

As Flycatcher runs, he is struck by the fact he isn't really too familiar with this area himself, despite having discovered the large tree on patrol with a few others. He hadn't really come past this area since then, his patrols and hunts taking him to other parts of the territory instead. Despite his uncertainty, he believes he has a general idea of where to go, and trusts in his memory to guide him true. As he runs, an explosion of birds shot up into the air from nearby, cawing in alarm. Their caws of alarm help guide him back to Flamewhisker, who he had lost in his own confusion about where to go. She's laughing again and he finds himself smiling in turn. She glances over her shoulder and he meets her gaze, shaking his head playfully. "Trying to get the birds to distract me, are you? That is a very cheap tactic," He teases. "I expected better from a new warrior. No matter, you'll learn your lesson when I beat you!" A burst of laughter escapes his lips, and he urges himself to move faster, hoping to beat her to the tree.

( ) As she peaked over her shoulder, she spotted Flycatcher nearly on her tail. A rush of energy flowed through her body, causing her fur to bush out a bit. Even though their race was for fun, she still didn't want to lose! After his words, she pressed on, but he had caught up to her. The tree was within sight now, and even though she had obviously cheated by getting a head start, the grey tom was able to beat her. It was a very close race, and if she hadn't had taken a moment to glance over her shoulder, she probably would have won.

The orange tabby sat down once they reached the tree. It had been a long time since she had run like that. Sure, she was starting to get used to patrolling, but those were usually a walk or at least a brisk walk, not a full on dash the entire time. Her fur was bushed up, parts of the overgrowth sticking in her thick pelt. She shook, causing a few leaves to fall off, then she reached over her shoulder a pulled out a small twig. "We look like a couple of bird nests!" Flamewhisker chuckled.

In what he could only describe as a stroke of luck, Flycatcher had won the race. It had been a close won race and right down until the last few moments he hadn't been able to call which way it would go.

Once they had reached the tree, the two of them sat down, and Flycatcher was quietly glad for the brief respite. He didn't often get to run like that, so he was certainly feeling the aftereffects. Like his companion, he also had a few twigs and leaves clung to his fur, which he promptly shook out. When Flamewhisker made a comment about them looking like a couple of bird nests he snorted in amusement. "Stars, I hope not," He grinned. "I don't think we'd make for good nests." Flycatcher let out a contented sigh. "Thanks for the race, its been a while since I just got run like that."