private Forsaken Born Thorn In Our Side (Flycatcher, Assessment)

Shinebug

Anxiety-Ridden Extrovert
Mar 3, 2023

As the last few days passed and his twelfth moon grew ever closer, Shinepaw was sure he wouldn’t make it. Most of his waking life had now been consumed, thinking about the upcoming test that would make him a warrior. The shaft of sunlight kept running imaginary numbers in his head. Had he prepared enough? An already slow start had been further stymied by sickness, did the aspiring apprentice have enough skill to overcome the obstacles ahead?

It was an afternoon much like any other when Flycatcher approached him in camp, Thunderclan’s deputy bidding him to follow outside, and Shinepaw knew that it was time. It was hard to stand, with sun-dappled legs suddenly turning to jelly, but the boy managed to stumble his way out of camp on the heels of his mentor. He didn’t want to speak, not sure he could manage if he wanted to. The ball of nerves felt like he couldn’t breathe, sure that his throat was closing up.

As Flycatcher finally stopped in a small clearing, jelly legs stiffed into steel, now turning the shaft of sunlight into a statue. Sky-blue eyes were searching the ground, but he finally managed to lift his head and look at his mentor, waiting for instructions.

// @Flycatcher

It was always a scary time when one of his apprentices were due to take their warrior assessment. Flycatcher had been nervous for both Roeflame and Burnstorm when it had been time for their assessments and he had his worries for Shinepaw too. Although Shinepaw had come out of his shell massively and grown a lot in recent moons, he was not the same bold brash personality Flycatcher had been used. It had been challenging at times but Flycatcher was pleased at the progress he had made since they were first assigned to each other.

Before he had taken Shinepaw out, the deputy had expressed his intention for him undertake his warrior assessment to Howlingstar, hopeful that he would receive his warrior name at the next meeting. After retrieving Shinepaw, Flycatcher had led him to a small clearing. He looked down at his apprentice, finding him looking at the ground before he eventually met his gaze. "For you assessment, I want you to catch three pieces of prey for me," Flycatcher began. It sounded simple enough but there would be more to it than that. "You can catch whatever you want but I would like to see you demonstrate your hunting skills, your climbing skills, and your stealth skills. I will not assist you but I will be watching you from afar."

Shinepaw didn’t know what Flycatcher would ask of him. However, the anxious apprentice’s tendency to assume the worst had certainly led him to all sorts of wild conclusions: climb a mountain, win against all the warriors in Thunderclan, topple a tree, none of these were out of the realm of possibility in the ball of nerves’ mind.

So, when the deputy decreed that three pieces of prey were his target, he felt both relieved and terrified. Hunting was hardly Shinepaw’s strong suit, and three pieces of prey would be difficult in leafbare. Silently cursing the fact that he hadn’t been born in a more abundant season, the shaft of sunlight nodded in acknowledgment of his mentor’s instructions. “I won’t let you down” he muttered as Flycatcher slinked away to watch.

A few moments later, he was alone in the clearing. Shinepaw didn’t move for a few seconds, as the stakes of his situation pressed down like gravity and an anxious mind was awash with unwanted thoughts. It took all his willpower, but the boy took a deep breath and tried to begin his test. Flame-pointed ears perked up, trying to sense for prey before the faint smell of squirrel hit his nostrils.

There were another few moments of indecision, the warrior-aspirant unsure of his slowly-forming plan, but fear of waiting too long eventually outweighed fear of failure, and the ball of fur began to move. He stalked forwards through the forest, suppressing every stressful instinct to rush forwards and get it over with, taking his time until the squirrel came into view. It was sitting next to a tree, just as he’d hoped. If Flycatcher wanted a demonstration of climbing, why not kill two birds with one stone?

With tense muscles launching him forwards like a springboard, Shinepaw shot from the bush barely a fox-length from his quarry. The squirrel perked up, taking in the apprentice for a moment before scampering up the bark. The boy was quick after it, though, scrabbling up the tree and practically nipping at its heels.

“C’mere, you!” Shinepaw shouted, unknowingly alerting all the prey in the area to his presence. That didn’t matter to the warrior-aspirant right now, though, as with a final burst of speed the boy was able to grab the squirrel between his jaws. The apprentice bit down hard, relishing the feeling of his quarry going limp. However, success soon turned to embarrassment. Shinepaw was so focused on finishing the target that he’d neglected his balance, and felt himself begin to slide down the tree.

With panicked scrabbling, the shaft of sunlight was able to slow his descent until the final few tail-lengths, at which point the feline fell off completely, landing hard on his back with the squirrel still clamped between his jaws. Standing up slowly, Shinepaw ignored the soreness (that he would certainly feel in the morning) and padded back towards the clearing, depositing his somewhat-sloppy catch in the center, before preparing for the next piece of prey. “That’s one down!” he announced excitedly.

Predictably, it became much harder to spot prey after that, thanks to the boy’s loud mouth. Shinepaw was ignorant of the fact for a few minutes, thinking he was just having a bout of bad luck, before the excitement of the last catch faded and realization set in. Flycatcher would’ve seen Shinepaw’s eyes go wide as reality finally registered, and a sudden flurry of movement enveloped his apprentice.

Shinepaw was practically scrambling all over the forest, desperate to find another piece of prey. “No, no, no” The tomcat muttered, panic rising as hasty movements led to snapped twigs and crunched leaves. A flame-colored pelt felt as if it was burning, and the boy was sure Flycatcher’s judgmental gaze was boring into him. How could he have been so stupid? The shaft of sunlight had started with strong momentum, but now progress had slowed to a crawl, and that fact only made things worse.

“I’m going too slow” He muttered again, replaying every mistake in his head. The moggy wanted to impress Flycatcher. He needed to impress Flycatcher. That wouldn’t get done if the tomcat was here till sundown. Sky-blue eyes frantically scanned the shrubbery for any hint of prey, and the boy couldn’t help but gasp as he passed through a bush and came face-to-face with a mouse.

It was luck. Pure luck. The cat had been so panic-stricken that scents had lost their meaning, and the mouse was apparently so deaf that it hadn’t heard his approach. Shinepaw wasted no time, slamming a claw down to subdue the creature. Breathing a small sigh of relief, the anxious cat carried the quarry back to the clearing, dropping it next to his squirrel with a guilty conscience. Did this count? Shinepaw didn’t believe he’d captured it with his own skill. Was he going to become a warrior because of a lucky break? What would people think? What would they say? The shaft of sunlight sat for a moment, seeming to catch his breath but really trying to control the tears that threatened to overwhelm him. What did Flycatcher think? Was he disappointed? Had he already failed?

Shinepaw wanted to call out to his mentor and friend, but the boy bit his tongue. Instead, he stood shakily and tried to take a breath. It wasn’t over yet, there was still one more piece of prey he needed.

The mouse had both broken the boy and raised his spirits. On one hand, overblown anxious thoughts were convincing the nearly-crying cat that all his catches were luck, and he possessed no real skill. On the other, the mouse was proof that prey was still in the forest, despite his outburst. Still, he was undoubtedly spiraling.

Shinepaw wanted to be a warrior more than anything. It would give him friends and respect. It would give him self-esteem. It would complete him. Nothing else mattered. “One more, one more, one more” Shinepaw whispered with a shaky voice, otherwise silent as the grave as he forced himself to move at a snail’s pace, stalking through the forest and tasting the air.

Once again, though, self-imposed pressure asserted itself. He was moving silently, but too slowly. Flycatcher was probably growing impatient with his incompetent apprentice. A self-hating scowl appeared on the boy’s lips as he imagined his mentor suddenly announcing he was wasting time, and they were going back to camp. Shinepaw was certain he was a hair’s breadth from failing, and was about to fall back into the same trap and speed up to reckless levels when he finally sensed something. Suddenly, desperation became the word of the day.

It was a bird. They were hard to catch, right? Maybe this could all be salvaged. If Shinepaw caught it, maybe it would redeem his earlier mistakes. Maybe Flycatcher wouldn’t hate him. Maybe no one would hate him. Maybe he would become a warrior after all.

Shinepaw barely breathed as he made an approach, silently creeping forwards through the undergrowth, praying that the prey would come into view soon, praying that this would finally be over. Sky-blue eyes widened as he peeked out of a small shrub, finally sighting the animal that would determine his future. A red bird, sitting under a small bush and pecking at the dirt. It was perfectly positioned. It was unaware. It was…tiny.

Shinepaw frowned, self-doubt setting in and stalling his movements. Was it too small? Would it be acceptable? Birds were hard to catch, but was a disappointing bird worth anything? The boy began to breathe faster, imagining what Flycatcher would think if this pitiful thing was brought back and placed on the pile. He’d hate it, certainly. Come to think if it, his last two catches had been on the small side. What if-

It saw him.

The bird had turned and finally sensed the impending danger, and sky-blue eyes widened in horror as Shinepaw saw it begin to go for cover. He’d wasted time worrying, and lost the element of surprise. Thoughts flashed like lightning through his mind, so fast that they only contained single words:

Useless.

Failure.

Outcast.

NO!” Shinepaw shrieked, facade of composure dissolving as he raced forwards in a desperate attempt to make up for his mistake. The bird couldn’t take flight just yet, and it was scrambling through shrubs to try and find a clear space to take off, with the apprentice in desperate pursuit. Please! Please! Please!He was barging through the same bushes, tears streaming down sun-drenched features as he tried to catch up, running like death was on his heels. All the wailing would’ve scared anything else away, and that realization only made him run faster. This would be his last chance.

Three mouse-lengths. Two. One. They were out of the bushes now, and the bird spread its wings. Shinepaw jumped in a last-ditch gamble, and the boy crashed to earth a few seconds later, a tiny bird pinned beneath his pelt. The panicked apprentice lifted himself up, desperately stabbing into the creature again and again until it was completely gored, utterly convinced it would fly away the second the shaft of sunlight turned his head.

Eventually, Shinepaw made it back to the clearing, depositing a ruined catch that much-resembled his psyche. The boy’s eyes were red from hastily-wiped-away tears, and he was trembling like a leaf in the wind. “I’m…I’m done…” He spoke into the forest, fear-scent thick. He’d done what was asked, but was it good enough?​

As promised, Flycatcher watches Shinepaw's hunts. Sometimes the smaller apprentice slips out of sight for a moment or two, but it doesn't take too long to find him again.

Although his initial displays of stalking and hunting were impressive, Shinepaw had unintentionally pulled himself down the wrong path by yelling at a squirrel as he chased it. No doubt any nearby prey would have heard that and ran - or at the very least been aware of Shinepaw's presence - and his remaining hunts would be predictably difficult. As he had guessed, it seemed harder for Shinepaw to spot any prey for a while, though he did eventually get lucky a snag an unsuspecting mouse. Although both catches had been fine enough, Flycatcher couldn't help but note the last catch had been a bit sloppy in regards to the actual hunt. Not only that but Shinepaw appeared to be rushing, running around with a sort of manic determination, throwing caution and patience to the wind as he did so.

Flycatcher watched Shinepaw carefully as he stalked a bird, following it from the ground and then attempting to catch it quickly before it could fly away. Shinepaw was lucky to catch it, but his demeanour had worried Flycatcher, and as he silently followed his apprentice back to the clearing where he had left him, the deputy already knew whether Shinepaw had passed or not.

"Shinepaw," Flycatcher calls out, announcing his presence as she stabbed out from between the shrubbery. His green gaze lingers on his apprentice before taking note of his three catches. "I am sorry to say this but I do not think you are ready for your warrior name."

Flycatcher cringes a little as he says that. The words seem harsh but it is said with a gentle tone. "You are a fine hunter and show promise of a good fighter, Shinepaw. I won't lie to you, your performance today was messy and I know you can do better," Flycatcher mewed, looking at his apprentice seriously. "I told you to bring me three pieces of prey and you did. I did not tell you to catch them as soon as possible." The blue tom shook his head, recalling his apprentice's speed earlier in the assessment. "You need to slow down, Shinepaw. You need to calm yourself and take stock of your surroundings and yourself," Flycatcher advised. "When you first hunted that squirrel you started yelling and no doubt alerted half the forest. I know you were eager to please but in that moment you should have waited and given time for things to settle. It's no wonder you struggled to find the mouse afterwards."

After the advisory and comments about his performance, Flycatcher's expression softened. "We will work on this some more this coming moon," Flycatcher promised. "Hopefully you will get your warrior name come the next moon."

Anxiety was a funny thing.

Shinepaw assumed the worst in so many situations. Someone not laughing at his joke must think the boy a leech. A slight slip of the tongue would be remembered and secretly mocked by all. Desperate claws failing to catch prey would lead to whispers of dead weight circulating through camp. The shaft of sunlight always believed he was a hair’s breadth away from losing absolutely all social standing, so perfection was a necessity. The boy had never been perfect, obviously, but he tried so hard to be.

Flycatcher’s voice sounded across the clearing, and Shinepaw stiffened all over again. Sky-blue eyes were firmly downcast as his mentor approached, wincing at the mere mention of his name. The deputy’s voice sounded harsh and hateful, full of disappointment. At least, that’s how Shinepaw interpreted the gentle tone, anxiety-driven delusion making him read between lines that weren’t there.

And as his mentor continued, speaking words that didn’t sound real, the depth of that interpreted disappointment continued to grow. Shinepaw was completely motionless, eyes on the forest floor as Flycatcher continued. After the impalement of rejection, though, the boy wasn’t listening. All the helpful advice and reassurance was blocked out by the storm inside Shinepaw.

He felt hollow. He felt dead. And it was all his fault. If the warrior-aspirant had trained harder, if he hadn’t wasted so much time on pointless distractions, if he’d never gotten sick, if he wasn’t so weak, If he wasn’t so stupid, if he wasn’t so useless-

‘Hopefully you will get your warrior name come the next moon.’

It was those words that finally broke through to the boy as shaky tears began to fall to the forest floor. “You…I…” Shinepaw began, not knowing what to say but feeling the need to say something. “Can’t…no…no, no-“ As he picked up in intensity, stringing words together to try and explain how he felt, Shinepaw could feel the dam cracking. He’d opened up before about his anxieties in small increments, but never let anyone see the full picture until now.

Suddenly, Shinepaw shot forwards, pressing himself into Flycatcher’s fur as he began to sob uncontrollably. “I’m s-sorry!” the ball of nerves choked out, sniveling and shrieking like the kit he still was. “But p-please, you can’t! Every-everyone will know if I don’t become a warrior, They’ll all know how useless I am! They’ll hate me! Please!” Shinepaw was acting like this was the end of the world, because for him, it was. No one would talk to him after this. No one would put up with him anymore. He’d be an apprentice forever.

The thoughts overwhelmed him, and he began to cry harder. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry I’m such a bad apprentice! You deserve so much more, but I just keep disappointing you! I went fast because I wanted to impress you, but I didn’t, just like always!” Shinepaw pressed himself tighter into Flycatcher as he laid himself bare for the first time. “P-Please, please don’t hate me…” the moggy mumbled, finally exhausting himself as he clung to Flycatcher, now crying quietly.​

Last edited:

Flycatcher had expected some tears - he knew Shinepaw to be quite emotional after all - but he is quite thrown when the young tom throws himself at him and begins sobbing in his shoulder. Flycatcher stands there, letting the young tom shed his tears, and his worries about his fate. When his crying softens, Flycatcher pulls away before talking to him again.

"Shinepaw, hey, look at me please," Flycatcher mewed, waiting for a tearful expression to meet his before continuing. "I do not hate you, Shinepaw. I could never hate you because you have done nothing to wrong me. This is a setback, yes, but you are not a bad apprentice." Flycatcher does his best to sound reassuring but he knows sometimes it doesn't always quite get through to his young charge. He pushes on though, hopeful that if the words don't immediately touch him, with some time and reflection Shinepaw would ease up. "You are not the only one to have failed your warrior assessment, Shinepaw. It is nothing to be ashamed of. I would rather we have another moon to make you the best warrior you can be than send you out there with things that need improving. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to take this to heart alright?"