private get the job done .. moonpaw

May 16, 2023
Trivial work between patrols may have been Otterpaws most loathsome type of work. While he plucked and tore moss this way and that, emptied the bones from dens and swept up scales, warriors just as capable would lounge in the small patches of light between the clouds. gather to chat or leave camp to spend with their friends.

Our patrol isn't leaving until sunhigh, you need to stay busy.

Streamheart told me her bedding was still wet, are you trying to get her sick again?

Lichentail said you were slacking instead of repairing the patches of mud for the elders den.

Clenched teeth and tight jaw, Otterpaw held back from spouting venom in the face of his Clanmates to instead seethe in silence. He slinked further into the patch of reeds given the task to dispose of the tattered and decayed herbs left from the medicine den. He was given Moonpaw to work beside as she was the one who asked for help. They had their own system, Otterpaw would dig and churn at the ice and soil and Moonpaw would discard the herbs and pile the soil back over. Despite the offer to switch the chimera refused, even as the cold stung his pads and he grew more irritated.

After a few more minutes of digging and hissing the pale molly offered again, and Otterpaw snapped angrily. "Can you shut up?" He snarled with a vicious tone, fur springing into bristling spikes. "Ask me again I might just have to rip your tongue out." The burst of anger subsided just as quickly as it came, but he would not be able to brush away his cruelty as easily as he could before.

-- @Moonpaw
RIVERCLAN APPRENTICE ✦ BLUE-BLACK CHIMERA ✦ 9 MOONS ✦ TAGS

Though she knew that this was something that she could do herself, it would take a lot of time and there were plenty of other apprentices who would be able to help out. When Otterpaw got told to stay busy she had quickly asked for his help, an apprentice she didn't hang out with often and though she had the feeling he didn't enjoy small talk maybe there was something they could talk about to get to know each other better - there'd be a time she might need that information in the future after all.

He had quickly gotten to work digging in the hard ground, claws not made for such a task idly moving dirt to the side and when she pushed the dirt back over she realized how cold it was, so she had offered to switch. She didn't need her claws for battle as much as Otterpaw did, as safe as one could be staying in a den near the sick and the injured while others went into the territory and near borders with the potential of fighting. When she was told no she quietly continued their work and upon reaching the half-way point after hearing the hissing coming from the other she offered once more. "That way your paws are a little warmer for when you go on patrol later." She'd offer with a small smile before the other snapped.

She found her own fur mimicking Otterpaw's fear wracking through her body for a moment as vicious snarls reached her ears. She knew of his temper - had seen some of it directed at others before - but she'd never had it directed at her. She was usually the peace-keeper among the apprentices so she'd just assumed it'd be hard to get that wrath as so many others had. Breath hitched for a moment as head snapped to look at her verbal attacker, tail lashing for a moment as her usual smile turned to a slight scowl. "Maybe you should be the one with your tongue ripped out." She quickly found herself retorting back, amber-hued eyes glaring at the older apprentice as claws dug into dried herbs. "You want your paws to freeze off, fine. See if I care when you're running to Ravensong because you can't feel them anymore."

• 72197262_ih0kl09k9BIlFkG.png
  • MOONPAW formerly Ratpaw || NPC x NPC || sister to Rowanpaw || apprentice to Ravensong.
    -- She/Her || 8 moons old, ages every 17th
    -- smaller than average, small rounded ears. SH white masking cinnamon torbie with orange eyes.
    -- soft-spoken, often found humming, tries to comfort others by smiling

A cold leafy stare remained set on citrine as he braced for the pale mollys riposte. Though selfish Otterpaw knew he wasn't undeserving of having his grievances pointed back at him. What had been more surprising was that Moonpaw had dove in and snapped back at all. He had pictured his former denmate more closely to Edenpaw, how easily the kittypet had been swayed by a single gesture or a few words.

Moonpaw wasn't that stupid. This conversation revealed that much. As their pelts mirrored in raised hackles and twitching tails Otterpaw found himself looking at her more in admiration that pity or distaste. Regardless of the fear that lifted from her skin like a fog it was unexpected in the way she didn't hesitate to shut him down.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that, you're just trying to be nice." The chimera lifted an ice-numbed paw, flexing his claws to regain feeling. It was hard to decipher when Otterpaw was being genuine as the dull blade of his voice rarely changed whether he was being dry or sincere. This time he had meant it, he wasn't placating for the sake of easy forgiveness. "We can switch, if you're still offering to."
RIVERCLAN APPRENTICE ✦ BLUE-BLACK CHIMERA ✦ 9 MOONS ✦ TAGS

Soon after her own retort Moonpaw found herself with the feeling of a stone in her stomach, nervous from the sudden outburst and worry that the other would shoot back once more, for she knew she wouldn't have a comeback if that was the case. She kept up the appearance though, enough for Otterpaw to apologize and she soon found fur flattening once more before a small nod of her head soon happened at the same time as a relieved sigh. She didn't know how much longer she could have kept that up, glaring daggers at a clanmate that she would like to call a proper friend one day while trying her best to work beside him.

Watching as claws flexed she dug her own from dead herbs and nod her head once more before standing and shifting. "I don't want your paws to fall off." She'd state, voice lower and quiet, tail-tip flicking slightly as she tried her best to shake off the annoyance and anger from only moments before. "I think by the time we're done everyone who needs to eat should have already, if that's the case I'll let you pick from the freshkill pile before I do, I know you probably don't like doing stuff like this." An attempt at a small truce, a small moment of good-will and the hope that the mood could lighten. Most cats didn't enjoy this time of work, even Moonpaw, who would be tasked with things such as this for the rest of her life didn't enjoy doing this, especially not in leafbare where the ground was hard and tempers were low.

• MOONPAW formerly Ratpaw || NPC x NPC || sister to Rowanpaw || apprentice to Ravensong.
    -- She/Her || 8 moons old, ages every 17th
    -- smaller than average, small rounded ears. SH white masking cinnamon torbie with orange eyes.
    -- soft-spoken, often found humming, tries to comfort others by smiling