pafp GHOST CITY ✧ inquiries

There is one place Marblekit hasn’t dared to explore yet. Hollowed in the cleft between Clanrock and smooth stone is a little cave where the medicine cat and her apprentice stay. She knows Starlingheart a little bit—she’d been kind to her when she’d first arrived, though Marblekit had flared her fur and backed away like she had to the rest of the ShadowClanners. She also knows she is kin to the medicine cat, and doubly-so to her son, Flintpaw. Lilacfur has told her they are sisters, littermates, just like Sycamorekit is to her.

Though the cave is a little intimidating, Marblekit does not hesitate before poking her nose inside. Her whiskers twitch at the sharp, biting scents of something green. The little she-kit pushes her way inside, tiny claws scraping against harsh earth. Starlingheart sits in the midst of the cave, working with her paws. The leaves she rolls and tucks are what Marblekit is smelling; she blinks in wonder, nearing her aunt with curious strides. “Hi,” she mews, meek; she ducks her head, wondering if Starlingheart would rather she hadn’t intruded, but it’s too late now to do anything but ask for forgiveness if so. “What are you doing? What are those? What are they for?

• ooc: please wait for @Starlingheart
  • pcAn1D5.jpeg
  • Marblekit, she/they w/ feminine and non-gendered terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 3 moons old, ages realistically on the 1st.
    — mentored by n/a ; mentoring n/a ; previously mentored n/a
    — shadowclan kit, formerly a rogue. siltcloud x lilacfur, gen 3.
    — currently mated to n/a.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh fawn tabby with dull green eyes. bossy, brazen, outgoing, conniving, mischievous, skeptical, spiteful.

Where Lilacfur's kits had come from mattered little in the grand scheme of things. Starlingheart thinks of this every single time she lays her eye upon them as they tumble about the nursery. She would be a hypocrite for hating them. Afterall, wasn't her own children the spawn of Siltcloud's littermate? So after the initial shock of their arrival wears off she casts her reservations and wariness aside and she went on to treat Marblekit and Sycamorekit the same as any of ehr other nieces and nephews toddling about. From her, they would only know kindness and love. As it should be with a kit.

She sees Marblekit enter her den while she is working, a soft smile being the only indication that she has noticed. But she lets the kit approach her herself, remembering how timid and shy she had been upon first meeting. If Marblekit wanted to interact with her she would let it be on the young girl's own terms. She is elated, though, when she does indeed choose to come closer, to greet her, and she turns her head to offer her a warm smile. "Hi Marblekit" she greets back and then she follows the kits gaze to the herbs she rolls under her snowy paws. "Oh, these?" she is glad so many of the youth of the clan were showing an interest in healing. When the time came for Magpiepaw to become a full medicine cat, when he was to choose an apprentice to take under his own wing, he would have no shortage of good choices, that was certain. "Whenever a cat gets-gets sick or-or injured in the clan I'm the uh I'm the one who makes them all better" she explains, voice gentle, patient "My apprentice Magpiepaw and I use-use these plants here to do that. They're they're called herbs" she remembers when she had been a curious kitten, watching her own aunt work from the entrance of the medicine cats den. Never in her first couple moons of life would she have dreamed of the path that had been laid out before her, the one she walked even now and yet... "If you're not feeling good though don't-you shouldn't eat or put anything on yourself without mine or-or Magpiepaw's help. You could make it worse if you do" her mind flashes to a bundle of berries, a horrible shade of dark red. She squeezes her solitary eye shut for a moment before they open again and she has grounded herself, her mind, back to the present.

What was she doing was the question the girl wanted answered next, and Starlingheart was happy to oblige "I-I like to keep bundles of herbs by-by the entrance to my den. Just- for when something happens. So it's ready to go. Seconds are important when someone is-is hurt sometimes" her ivy leaf bundles contained the important herbs that she may need in a day to day basis. Marigold, goldenrod, horsetail, dandelion, comfrey, cobwebs, burdock. The perfect to-go kit. "Would you like to-to help me?" she asks, glancing at light brown fur out of the corner of her eye.
EpC61GT.png

• PSgWDJV.jpeg

• 75214491_NhVBn1uSQsE4P99.png
    STARLINGHEART SHADOWCLAN MEDICINE CAT; SHE / HER ; SISTER TO PITCHSTAR, CHITTERTONGUE, NIGHTSWARM, SKUNKTAIL, AND LILACFUR. MOTHER TO NETTLEPAW, FLINTPAW AND GHOSTPAW.
    A skinny she cat with short black and white fur littered with scars and one singular green eye.
    Easy in battle + has little to no formal battle training

Starlingheart’s single green eye is soft, her smile inviting. “Hi, Marblekit,” she says, and the invitation causes the fawn tabby’s shoulders to relax. She isn’t in trouble for intruding, after all—and her aunt doesn’t seem to not want her here. She pads closer, her tail quivering behind her. The medicine cat tells her the rolled-up leaves are herbs, and that she and Magpiepaw use them to make cats who are sick better. Her eyes glow—her aunt is so smart! “How do you know which ones do what?” She asks, sitting closer to the verdant bundles. Their smell tickles the inside of her nose, though not in an entirely unpleasant way.

Her aunt advises her not to eat any of them on her own, because it could make her sickness worse. She nods affirmatively. “I would never know which ones are good,” she says.

And then Starlingheart offers her a gift—the gift of being helpful. Marblekit looks at her adoringly. “Yes! I can help.” She trots closer, her paws prickling with excitement. “Do I just roll them like you’re doing with my paws?

• ooc:
  • pcAn1D5.jpeg
    — penned by Marquette.

sh fawn tabby with dull green eyes. bossy, brazen, outgoing, conniving, mischievous, skeptical, spiteful.

⋆⁺₊ ☾ ⁺₊⋆  Swanpaw cannot help but linger by the medicine den's at the sound of voices. Little Marblekit... Starlingheart's niece come to visit? They peek their head in, ears perked and attentive to the conversation. A very simple explanation of a medicine cat's job, not one unfamiliar to the sickly molly. They offer a soft answer to Marblekit's question, hoping their own presence is not an intrusion. "Moons of practice, I'd assume..." That knowledge is sacred, reserved for only the clan's most blessed. "I spent a long while in here myself, and I still can't tell burdock from nightshade, hah..." They know one is poison and one is not; more than the kit at least.

There is something conflicted in their gaze as Marblekit moves to help her aunt. "You seem quite eager," they murmur. A rueful smile crosses their face. "Looking to make a medicine cat of yourself, hm...?" She'd certainly done the same in youth, seeking the position out in kit games when she could. They'd never been invited to roll herbs... But then, they suppose they'd never asked. She does not ask now; she is nearly a warrior, and the stars have chosen her for other things. Still, she continues to linger.

• 65035420_GiaBine7dcKpkS2.png

"SPEECH"
  • SWANPAW ☁︎ she / they, apprentice of shadowclan, twelve moons.
    a pale, silky-furred cream tabby with droopy blue eyes.
    dreamy and detached, more ghost than cat. known for her perpetual sleepiness.
    halfshade x smogmaw, littermate to applepaw, garlicpaw, & ashenpaw.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by SATURNID ↛ saturnids on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Starlingheart's whiskers twitch in slight amusement at her neices line of questioning. When she grew up a little, she would come to understand. Knowledge was not something a cat was born with but rather it was a hard won prize. Moons and moons of trial and error, of StarClan signs and neccesity had gifted the medicine cat with the things she needed to learn in order to help her clanmates and for a long time she had done it on her own. No mentor to help her through her struggles, no adult to guide her young paws down the path they had been forced upon. She had needed to do everything the hard way. It is not something she would ever wish upon another. "Swanpaw is-is right" she says, sending a grateful nod of acknowledgement in the pale-furred apprentices direction. "I have been a medicine cat for- for a bit now. It was a lot of trial and error at first but Star-starclan guides me and shows me the way when I am lost, and I had help from-from the other medicine cats." but... "Most medicine cats though have-have mentors to teach them, to help them learn, like M-magpiepaw and I." She is glad that they have each other.

She does not comment when Swanpaw asks if Marblekit was looking to become a medicine cat herself, but she does glance at her from the corner of a lone green eye before her gaze once again finds the herbs at her feet. There was a time when someone had asked her that very same question, but she had never dreamed she would be here now. When her aunt had offered her the position, she did not imagine it would have had to come at such a high price. But she does not regret it. Not now, not ever.
EpC61GT.png

• PSgWDJV.jpeg

• 75214491_NhVBn1uSQsE4P99.png
    STARLINGHEART SHADOWCLAN MEDICINE CAT; SHE / HER ; SISTER TO PITCHSTAR, CHITTERTONGUE, NIGHTSWARM, SKUNKTAIL, AND LILACFUR. MOTHER TO NETTLEPAW, FLINTPAW AND GHOSTPAW.
    A skinny she cat with short black and white fur littered with scars and one singular green eye.
    Easy in battle + has little to no formal battle training

—————————————————————⊰♰⊱————————————————————
He is not present when the spotted kitten roams in to offer chipper questions and nose about in curiousity, but he does hear Swanpaw's question and his black pelt ripples as his fur rises on end; leaving him looking like a particularly disgruntled ball of soot. He is stiff limbed as he wanders into the den, a wad of cobweb between his teeth gingerly so the sticky texture does not touch his tongue and he takes the time to set it aside before approaching the discussion and the child settled within the center of the den, her question unanswered and he clears his throat, a paw raised in gesture to the assorted piles, "It is called a poultice, a mix of plants meant to help in different things. Each serves a purpose, like how every cat within the clan has reason for being here, every single fleck of plant has a duty, a job."
His nose wrinkles briefly, he maintains his rigid posture - it is a kindness he does not comment on her eyes like poison, dripping the same green color as Siltcloud's had - it is a mercy they are brighter than the forest shade Granitepelt once bore less he lose his composure at the sight of them. None of Starlingheart's kits had his eyes - Nettlepaw, gone, blue as the sky. Ghostpaw, vanished, deep as a pond. Flintpaw, mismatched, the sun and moon.
"One of each from each pile in a leaf, roll them with your paws to fold it." His blue-violet eyes narrow, a warning, "Do not lick your paws after, wash in a puddle. Bitter as they can be, small as you are...it may upset a belly."
The idea of his own apprentice one day was not something he'd ever thought of but he finds he doesn't like the idea much, maybe because he was still an apprentice himself. All he could think about was the raging jealousy swilling in his chest at another cat taking his mentor's time.

• OOC can go here.

• 75204717_KgcjQ7iJ5YDThlB.png
    Magpiepaw
    —⊰⋅ MCA of ShadowClan
    —⊰⋅ He/They
    "SPEECH", 'THOUGHTS', ATTACK
    —⊰⋅ Black tom w/a white throat and blue-violet eyes.
    —⊰⋅ Has mild cerebellar hypoplasia (Wobbly cat syndrome)

8Xs7ngd.png

Noises coming from the medicine cat den always warrants the appearance of Mirepurr, perhaps much to Starlingheart and Magpiepaw's dismay. Getting in the way of them is never what Mirepurr wants, but they prefer making sure that everything is okay in there. The least they can do for them is gather herbs or keep the peace up; not at all a worthy exchange for the work they do.

It's a relief then that it's just a curious kitten.

Mirepurr decides to stick around, glad to see Marblekit taking initiative and wandering about camp, but feeling oddly protective of the youngling after... past events. They might not be a caretaker, but they feel compelled to check in every now and then with her and Sycamorekit. Every warrior has the right to look after ShadowClan kits after all.

Their side is pressed to the wall of the den, hanging just at the entrance in order not to crowd the medicine cats. Starlingheart is gentle and Magpiepaw is prickly; usual business. A smile paints Mirepurr's feature as they take in the scene.

"You'd be surprised how much more you'll know and remember when you're older," they purr. "Maybe not as a medicine cat — young Magpiepaw here has beat you to that —, but warriors need to learn just as much."

---

• 8Xs7ngd.png
  • MIREPURR SHADOWCLAN WARRIOR
    ────── THEY/THEM ✦ PENNED BY KARMEN ✦ 04/15
  •  

A pale phantom graces the opening of Starlingheart’s den, answering Marblekit’s inquiry. “Moons of practice, I’d assume,” the pale warrior murmurs, stating she spent quite some time in the medicine cat’s den and still could not tell burdock from nightshade. Marblekit’s head spins a little—she is three moons old, and three moons seems an eternity to her right now. She swivels her face from Swanpaw to Starlingheart again, green eyes round with curiosity. “More than three moons?” Her voice comes out in a little squeak, which embarrasses her; she has to put her chin toward her chest to lick the fur flat to hide her shame. Swanpaw makes a remark about her becoming a medicine cat, which Starlingheart does not acknowledge. She does not know if she would like to do what her aunt does, but she does not protest or balk at the idea, either.

Her aunt tells her StarClan shows her the way when she is lost. StarClan. She knows about StarClan, both from Siltcloud and from Lilacfur, but the totality of their existence is lost on her still. She looks at the sky and sees silver fire, lovely twinkling stars that remain faceless in her mind. “How do they talk to you?” The idea of the stars talking directly to cats is strange. Do they have faces and mouths, then, after all? Are they just too far away for her to see them?

She acknowledges Magpiepaw and Mirepurr with wide, round green eyes. To the warrior, she mews, “Warriors gotta memorize stuff too?” She’d not been counting on that, really—it seems daunting to think about. She hopes her memory is as good as Starlingheart’s and Magpiepaw’s.

• ooc:
  • pcAn1D5.jpeg
    — penned by Marquette.

sh fawn tabby with dull green eyes. courageous, curious, introspective, observant, judgmental, snarky.