going to war again - blazestar

"WE ARE THE BROKEN ONES, WHO CHOSE TO SPARK A FLAME"
Emberstar's tail lashed behind her subtly as she lead Blazestar away from their gathered clans. Bloodied paws had found their way into the forest once more. The thought sent a chill down her spine. She had thought, for all her present troubles, the dark days of the great battle were at least behind her. That was supposed to be the point of the clans, after all. To keep the peace. Now, whether it was the fault of Sootstar alone or the borders they had all drawn, that peace was threatened. That was what scared her more than anything. They couldn't go back. She wouldn't let them. Peace had to be kept.

If she had her way, they would have all discussed it. Each and every leader, even Sootstar. Especially her. Made certain that this would never happen again. The others, unfortunately, seemed all to eager to leave once their business was concluded. As they had been every gathering. Even more so once tension had boiled and anger had flared up. They made their announcements and took their leave, leaving no time for conversation. It felt, to her, very against the spirit of the gathering.

She forcefully squashed the frustration that threatened to boil up.

Emberstar turned to the Skyclan leader, she turned to her friend. She sighed. "First things first, my condolences." The flame point began softly. "I don't think anyone said that. One of us has died and everyone was just... arguing."

For all her grander concerns, she had not forgotten that she had known Haze once. However distantly. They hadn't been close, but his had been once of the faces she had seen around the pine group. It was strange, to think that he had survived the battle just to die before they could ever speak again. Cruel, even. It felt wrong to talk to Blazestar about anything else, in light of that. She had a clan, a family, to worry about though.

"But I also have to ask," she looked to him questioningly, worry bright in her gaze. It didn't feel like calling Sootstar out to the other clans was where the other leader intended it to end. "What are you going to do? About Sootstar, I mean."

// @BLAZESTAR
✦ ★ ✦

He watches the other leaders leave. Cicadastar, long limbs streaked with river droplets as he tells the Clans that he'd been attacked by a WindClan warrior - one of the ones Sootstar had promoted. Briarstar, looking drained and tired, promises to consider Blazestar's words before leaving. Sootstar herself, spitting angry, leaps away without apology, offering excuses for her warrior just as she'd done for herself.

Soon, it's just the two flame point leaders under the full moon. Their two Clans mill about below, voices quiet murmurs.

"First things first, my condolences." Blazestar turns to look at Emberstar, and the softness in her gray eyes causes him to weaken slightly. There's still righteous anger in the way he holds his body, injured as it might be, but he feels some of it begin to seep away. He's with a friend now.

"Thank you," he murmurs. He gives her a look ripe with sympathy. "I'm sorry for you and ThunderClan, as well. I pray your territory recovers swiftly. Let me know if you need SkyClan's help."

He isn't prepared, somehow, for her question, and it causes him to pause, his gaze to shift back into the crowd of ThunderClan and SkyClan warriors. "What are you going to do? About Sootstar, I mean."

"What am I going to do." He chuckles. It's a dry sound, like a brittle leaf crunching underpaw. "I've been asking myself that since it happened, to be honest with you. Do I lead my Clan into a battle we may lose to get even for Haze's sake, or do I cower away from Sootstar and reinforce her beliefs about me and my warriors?"

He is silent for a moment. "I tried to reason with her. One of her lead warriors ordered us killed if he did anything she didn't like. Her deputy sat silent and watched us as though we were prey. There is no reasoning with her. And yet, SkyClan isn't made of mindless soldiers like WindClan is... I can't endanger them. I won't." He flicks his tail, irritation weighing on his shoulders like stones.

After a pause, he swings his broad head around back to Emberstar. After a moment, he murmurs, "What would you do, were you me?"

PENNED BY MARQUETTE

"WE ARE THE BROKEN ONES, WHO CHOSE TO SPARK A FLAME"
It relieved her, to see some of Blazestar's anger melt away at her words. Emberstar felt like she was getting a glimpse of the cat she had met back in the pine forest, buried under all the weight of his responsibility and the righteousness of his anger. Even now, they are still friends, and that is comforting. It was hard to keep track of who was friend and who as foe in these chaotic times. She had thought all the leaders were supposed to be friends with each other, that the stars had meant it that way. Now though, she couldn't be sure.

She dipped her head in thanks for his sympathy. Her gaze falling to the rock below them. As he tells her his thought, her ear flicked. The descriptions of Windclan, brutal and militaristic, where they all true? She trusted in her friends honesty, of course, but still the words he spoke begged belief. Starclan would not appoint such a terrible cat as their leader. Would they?

The Skyclan leader asked her what she would do.

"Well..." she began, slowly. A moment of hesitation, of uncertainty. Wisdom and planning had never been her fortes. A poor quality for a leader to have. "I would not lead my clan against her." Emberstar stated decisively, with a nod. "That won't help anyone, certainly not Haze. It would just send more to follow him. The great battle taught us that much." Her ear flicked, she did not like speaking of that day. The words tasted like ash in her mouth. In the face of the gathering's news, however, she could think of nothing else. Her nightmares had been made manifest. They haunted her waking world too now.

"Your clan, your friends, your family; keep them safe." She begged him, her gaze finding his as the fiery passion in her eyes matched that of her words. The great battle could not come again, it would not. "Who cares what Sootstar believes about you?" Were the molly as terrible as he had told her, then she certainly wouldn't.
✦ ★ ✦

Emberstar takes her time responding to him, and the SkyClan leader watches her guardedly, patiently. "I would not lead my Clan against her." Blazestar nods, expecting as much - and he's relieved to hear it. Emberstar is a skilled fighter, one who knows more about the ins and outs of battle than he does. If she would not fight, than it's good enough for him to realize it would be fruitless.

"I agree," he says, soft. "I would die myself before I risk them for revenge. But..."

He sighs, and it takes so much out of him that he feels lightheaded. "There are those in my Clan who do not think me fit to lead. Who question my judgment when it comes to WindClan, and to Haze. I should tell you that WindClan is SkyClan's enemy. We will not offer them aid. We will not treat them with anything but hostility. Sootstar is not the only one of them who are bloodthirsty, as RiverClan has also seen." His eyes harden. He turns to Emberstar. "I would suggest you treat that border you share with extreme caution. Patrols. Extra scent markings. They can't be trusted."

With a flick of his ear, he moves to the edge of the great rock, gazing into the small crowd of remaining cats. "I will not tell you how to lead your Clan, but that is my advice, Emberstar."

PENNED BY MARQUETTE