pafp great mistake ✧・゚: * grumbling

Jun 8, 2022
( ✧ ) The sun shines lazily overhead, beating warm onto the pelts of any who would be caught beneath it. Leaf-fall moves in quickly, but an inkling of warmth still persists, struggling against the cool that threatens to overtake it. The oak forest still teems with prey— allegedly anyways. It's a realm largely left untapped by himself, but even former marshers who loved to grumble and growl about prey seemed content here, bellies full, living in a perfect, shining world. Or at least, that's what Ember would have one believe.

Even if there's a snake living in their midst, venom-tongued with glinting teeth. Left unattended, and you'd find them sunken into the pelt of your leader. Not once does remorse of apology cross her mind, no, only the ramblings of a deranged mind. One has a right to remain haunted by the past. Recovery is slow, even stagnant at times. This, Blinding Star knows.

But on the other paw, he's not quite a murderer, now is he?

"I came to the wrong place, didn't I?" he muses in a low murmur, flexing his paws in the dirt. "Murderers'are allowed to strike down a supposed leader and get away with it. Didn't even have the decency to give a scrap of an apology, either." he adds with a snort. Not to Ember, not to anyone. She was quick to isolate herself, ducking her head inside some sort of den. He'd rather she was gone, of course, but he couldn't say he minded her hiding, either.

[ IC OPINIONS <///3 pls wait for @HOWLING WIND ; they're def whispering and not screaming their opinions all across camp]

She had been quick to discover that, fortunately, many of her clanmates shared her distaste for their new medicine cat. Salamander - er, Cinderfrost - had always been a favorite of Howling Wind's. She used to let her watch her kits and play games with them in the nursery. She'd train with her, go hunting with her, spar with her. They were friends. When had her friend become an apathetic murderer? Why hadn't the tabby seen it coming sooner? She still recalls that day, freshly seared in her mind, when Cinderfrost had been found pinning Emberstar to the ground, paws drenched in their leader's blood. She hadn't an ounce of regret for what she'd done. She was a different cat than who Howling Wind had known for seasons.

And yet, here she was, eating their prey, hiding away in her new den. It infuriates her.

She ignores Blinding Star's scathing tone, but nods in understanding. "I'm sure Emberstar knows what she's doing..." She murmurs softly, eyes boring into the medicine den to make sure that she-cat doesn't come out. Doubt tinges her voice. But surely their leader has a plan? Surely she's not trusting the murderer blindly? As ears flick about to ensure she didn't keep talking if someone else approaches, she continues in a hushed tone, "That molly is mad. I don't trust her around any of these cats, not one bit. Certainly not around my family. If I get a cut, I'll be better off soaking it in the river than visiting her alone." No one should visit her alone.
"speech"

i . information : his return to clan life was marked by none but silence, and his approach now is done similarly — a return to camp through the thicket - lined horse tunnels, thick ivory fur snagging on briar and slipping through like water. in powerful alabaster jaws dangle the corpses of two thrush, little bodies swaying with each step he took, heads back and beaks agape. they were small, young. a nest unattended that he’d raided, claws dragging the tangled nest of twined twig and flora free from the branch it nestled in. the chicks had been ended before porcelain pointed paws land in the dew - studded grass beneath the gnarled tree. not his proudest kill, the man would admit ; but food was food, and even with most recent events aside, he was not willing to let it go to waste. a leg of each avian was clutched in his teeth and despite it, his expression reads soft, open ; lakewater eyes drift slow over the sea of faces dotting thunderclan camp before settling firm on two familiar faces.

cobweb makes his approach, observing blinding star and howling wind’s expressions respectively as he draws close enough to try and listen in on their little conversation. his mothers words dip too low for him to hear, bringing a small smile to curve near alabaster lips, lithe figure coming to settle tall aside them and dropping the two birds he’d caught, “ look at you two, gossiping like elders. “ his voice rings, light and airy despite the way his brow quirked curiously. cerulean luminaries flit back for a solid five seconds, before fixing forward again. they seemed agitated, howling wind’s eyes never leaving the den where their supposed medicine cat now resides. his own gaze lingers there for a brief moment before he lowers himself to his stomach, patting the avians towards the duo — it wasn’t much, but it was more than he was willing to eat himself.

bird for your thoughts?

• COBWEB ; he / him, twenty six months old. howling wind x gray wolf.
    − lanky, longhaired pale blue tabby with low white & lakewater blue eyes.
    − homosexual, open for short-term romances & flings, penned by antlers.

• unknown.png

g9xJb5.png

Twig didn't know so herself yet, but she LOVED to gossip.
Knowing "secret" stuff about cats that others didn't and spreading that (sometimes false) information? Nothing made the young feline happier!

When she passes by she obviously can't hear everything the two cats are saying, but she catches one word.
Murderer.
Every muscle in her body tries to tell her not to get nosy, not to walk on over there as the new she-cat in town and get into everyones buisness.
Yet she couldn't resist!

"Couldn't help but overhear." Twig would start in a normal volume meow, glancing at the three cats present. Then she leans in for a whisper.

"Murderer? Who...!?"

Howling Wind hesitates as her son and then Twig stop beside them, the former offering a bird. She offers Cobweb an affectionate blink, but her cautious gaze quickly returns to the mouth of the medicine den where the killer resides. Cobweb, as one of her children, has already heard and heeded her warnings to stay away from the medicine cat, and never, ever find himself alone with her. Twig, however, she does not know well. Is she able to be trusted?

In the end, she decides its better to keep more cats safe than to defend her own reputation, and so she murmurs lowly just so the small group can here. "That cat in there, Twig...we've known her for a while, the lot of us. She lived in the marsh with us before disappearing. Next time we see her, she's standing over Emberstar's dead body. She looked...crazed. But Emberstar insists she needs to stay." It was the best catch-up she was able to give on a whim. "She can't be trusted. Don't ever get near her if you're alone, got it?"

I TOLD YOU ONCE, I CAN'T DO THIS AGAIN

Ignorance was bliss, wasn’t it?
Roe had been kept from the whisperings sure enough, but now she was dipping her toes in the metaphorical pool, and getting used to her new home.
A small part of her never wanted to leave the medicine den, and wished she could be content quietly sitting at Cinderfrost’s side all day while the medicine cat did her busy work, but all those wants came to nothing when eventually her paws began to itch for exploration.
She had only been a few tail lengths away when Blinding Star began to speak, his tone so low that Roe did not care to even register his words, perfectly content watching her beetles as they wiggled about.
It was Howling Winds words that caught her attention. She liked Howling Wind, the tabby had the best stories!
Curiously she lifted her head, ear flicking as she looked for an opportunity to jump into the conversation.
She is getting ready to prance over when Twig joins in, and Howling Winds tone finally registers in Roe’s brain.
that cat in there, Twig..
With a tilt of her head and a furrowed brow, Roe follows Howling Winds gaze. Her lips pursing as the older molly continues.
Surely they couldn’t mean Cinderfrost? Cinderfrost was… no, she was too good of a cat for that.
Now Roe is only a tail length away, watching with a confused expression. "What… what are you talking about?" She finally piped up, ready to jump to the medicine cats defense. Cinderfrost was her family, or at least that’s what Roe considered from the small idea she had of what family was.
"speech."

( ✧ ) "I'm not so sure," he mutters back, jaw clenched in the beginnings of a grimace. He'd consider Howling Wind competent, but for the wary faith she puts in the leader. Still, he can agree with her to an extent. Murderer or not, (certainly, in this case), she was in no way stable enough for such a position, all steely looks and ticked jaw, crumbling to her knees at the sight of a toad, so the others claim. He barely stifles his low chuckle. "I'll be dragging myself to Skyclan before I let her lay a paw on me," Kittypets as they were, better than delusional. ...Flavors of the same subject, maybe.

There's a voice he doesn't recognize, then, inflection far from taunting, though it still makes him bristle. His lips press into a thin line. There was an invisible itch, sourness at being compared to an elder. Lounging and useless, nothing but free time on their hands. His ears flatten against his skull. He bites his tongue between sharpened teeth.

A breath.

Low whispers, a newcomer searching for the truth. Empathy tugs at him, barely there, but still... Safety compromised by a dimwit of a loser. It effected more than she realized, surely.

Toddling thing, a small voice sticks out amongst the rest. A kit, he can assume. Anyone else would know what they speak of, clear as day. He squints in the direction of the voice, lips downturned in a carefully-leveled glare. "The medicine cat," he replies flatly. Acid tang seeps into his voice at the unfit title. "Why don't you tell all your friends to keep away from her, hm? Little things like you shouldn't fret for your lives."

I TOLD YOU ONCE, I CAN'T DO THIS AGAIN

Though her attention has been angled towards Howling Wind, Blinding Star had been the one to answer her first, his acidic tone causing the cinnamon kit to almost flinch.
Yet, shock turned to anger, manifesting as a deep frown on her young features. Wide eyes crinkled and narrowed. Fret for her life? Around Cinderfrost? The concept was ridiculous to the kitten, foreign. Cinderfrost was her family in every way that mattered. The ashen molly would never harm Roe… never… right?
"You don’t know what you’re talking about! " She insisted. "If you think Cinderfrost would ever hurt me or a-anyone, then your brain must be super small!" With that last, defiant sentence, Roe turned on her heel and began to stalk off towards the infamous medicine den.
"speech."

Howling Wind grimaces as Blinding Star lectures the kit - he must not have recognized the voice of the child Cinderfrost kept hoarded away, refusing to let the queens of the camp raise her. Roekit is too young to understand that she is hidden away in a den shared with the leader's cold-blooded murderer. Honestly, she is shocked Emberstar even allowed the medicine cat to keep her in there. If it was up to the tabby, she'd have been directly to the nursery and taken in by Lily Pad, a queen who had a litter just around Roekit's age. It would have been safer. She sighs as the child stomps off, knowing she can't just come right out and tell her that the cat she trusts so much killed their leader. No one has the words to describe such a thing to someone so young. "I don't even know why she's allowed to keep that kit in there," She hisses lowly back to the cats in the group. "Who knows when she'll snap next, and with a child around?"