camp harsh realms - o, nerves

Peachpaw.

🍑
Jun 10, 2022
Peachpaw sat outside the apprentices den, anxiously shuffling her forepaws. She'd finally made it to the apprentices den after her ceremony had been delayed for so long. Cicadastar had nearly forgotten to apprentice her! Probably because it had been so long. Peachpaw had been worried Dogteeth might make her stay a kit forever! She was already so far behind everyone else! All her friends had been apprenticed moons ago. And now that she'd finally caught up to them in size, she might never catch up to them in skill! What if she was just lagging behind everyone else forever? With a defeated sounding huff, Peachpaw settled down on the grass and rested her chin on her paws.

He couldn't entirely relate to Peachpaw's anxiety. In fact, he could barely relate at all. Leechpaw lacked any sense of apprehension or concern for his training at worst, with his apathetic attitude obvious to those that bothered to look. What he wasn't indifferent to, however, was the new apprentice loitering outside the den, sulking around for whatever reason or another. Leechpaw observed the behavior from within the shadowy confines of the reeds, paws neatly concealed by his matted tail. It was odd, in his opinion. Surely, Peachpaw would be more likely to celebrate the long-awaited apprenticehood rather than mope about it.

Deciding to further pursue the logic behind the emotions on display, Leechpaw finally pushed himself to stand and approached the younger apprentice, expression stoic as ever. "What's the matter?" he innocently prompted, echoing what many before had asked him. It was a simple starter, open-ended enough to branch off into other topics, but still accusatory of something being wrong.

she was on her way back into the apprentice's den when she spotted a newly appointed peachpaw, as well as leechpaw not too far from her. honeypaw would have kept walking, paying no mind to the interaction, yet the golden molly couldn't help but notice the long face on the lighter colored apprentice.

by the time she had reached the duo and sat down, leechpaw had already asked what was wrong. she couldn't help but be curious. honey was never worried about too much. she was aware that she probably wouldn't be the best warrior herself, but didn't care too much about her skills. the molly had found a greater worth in being there for her clanmates. so, she would do just that by offering peachpaw a kind smile before throwing her a compliment. "the apprentice den sure does suit you, peachpaw. i hope you're settling in well," she said it brightly, yet a little concern was evident in her tone.
[ ONE HAZY PANOPLY ]

dblm7ah-6a75cfca-8a11-4216-abf6-93616255cb56.png

Tagging along behind Honeypaw, almost like a giant pale shadow, is Finchpaw. He nods his own assent to the compliment the molly gives, reaching out with a gentle paw to give the younger apprentice a pat on the back. Honestly, he'd probably be an apprentice until Peachpaw herself was named a warrior. As a former kittypet, the tom would most likely outgrow the den itself before he was stripped of being a -paw. He didn't want to make any jokes about it though, not when Leechpaw and Honeypaw were already trying to gauge the emotional state of the room. Plus, he didn't think it would make her feel any better.

When there's an opening after her reply to them, he gestures to ask if she's made a nest yet, and if she'd like something to decorate it with. It would be his own way of attempting to help her aclimate to the change.

dc3xn9o-0100383c-a4f1-4493-bd60-0d7219762838.gif

Leechpaw approached her to ask what was the matter, and was soon followed by Honeypaw and Finchpaw. Peachpaw gave a small shrug when Honeypaw expressed hope that she was settling in well. "I guess so," she said quietly. "I just wish I'd gotten here sooner is all...everyone else is so much further along in their training." She dropped her gaze to her feet, embarrassed. "My dad kept me in the nursery for so long that I'm moons behind all my friends."

Ravenpaw was making his way back to the apprentice den after an uneventful hunt that he was not keen on recounting to his peers. His tail was lowered, almost touching the ground. He grimaced at the sight of a small apprentice gathering near the den. Could he not get sleep in peace?

As he approached, he heard the conversation. One large ear twitched in mild curiosity. "Tch," He huffed tiredly as he stopped by the entrance of the den. "All of us are in different places in our training." He was still being held back due to his heritage. He paused to look over the young apprentice. "You look big enough."

honey gave a small wave of her tail to finchpaw who had offered to help the younger apprentice with a nest. "ooh, that's a great idea! you're sure to have the prettiest nest if finch's helpin ya out," she said, moving to wrap her fluffy tail back over her paws. maybe peachpaw just needed to feel more included, especially since she felt as if she was left behind while her friends progressed.

ravenpaw's words, although gruffer than she would have put it, were completely true. it was hard not to compare yourself to others, especially when witnessing their triumphs first hand. honeypaw nodded in agreement to the shadowy apprentice. "ravenpaw's right, you'll catch up in no time!"
[ ONE HAZY PANOPLY ]

"I am big enough!" she blurted as Ravenpaw finished speaking. "I was big enough moons ago." Wasn't I? Peachpaw suddenly wasn't sure. And was she really big enough now? She was pretty fluffy. It might make her look bigger than she actually was. And she was terrified of swimming. What if that meant she had to stay an apprentice forever? She looked to Finchpaw "But...I would like help with my nest." She wasn't much good at making her own nests.