private HEAVY HEART TO CARRY [☾] Weaselclaw

IMG_0990.png

SOOTSTAR
Weaselclaw lays with fresh-kill after Sootstar situated themselves away from the rest of the sick crowd. She did not mean to remain idle for long… she had six lives left but hoped to keep them for as long as possible. If she got sick again there’d be no lungwort to save her.

But Weaselclaw needed to know.

”Badgermoon betrayed me.” She tells him, leaning in to whisper into his ear. ”he saw me do something he was not suppose to see…” Sootstar is reluctant to tell him the full truth, almost dreading his disapproval. He did not often disagree with her, but when he did there was always a pale look to his blue eyes that told her.

Pulling away she wraps her tail around her paws. ”He’s gone, I suspect he’s in SkyClan or RiverClan- I could be wrong. He hated the two just as much as any of us.” Or so she thought… ”…Sunstride is deputy now, a good choice. But I will never name one without wishing it was you I could choose.” Once again she draws in, carelessly attempting to give him a lick inbetween the ears.
IMG_0583.gif
  • » SootSootstar
    » WindClan Leader
    » She/her ․ Mate to Weaselclaw
    » Tiny blue smoke she-cat with green eyes.
    » "Speech"thoughtsattack
  • » A high-stamina foe who can be difficult to hit.
    » Excels in quick, short moves.
    » Fights to kill and maim
    » Fatal attack of choice is an underbelly dive.
    » May powerplay minor harm. Can powerplay healing

Even here, in this hellish pit, Weaselclaw’s eyes shine when he sees his mate with a rabbit haunch clutched between her teeth. Her gesture is obvious—she wants to share a meal away from the rest of those imprisoned with him. The tabby nods weakly, rising to his paws and shuffling to where she wants to sit. The scent wafting from the rabbit leg is enough to make his jaws slaver like a dog’s, but when he takes a bite, it sits like sawdust and hay from the Horseplace on his tongue.

He forces himself to swallow, frustration stark in his blue gaze. “Don’t get too close,” he warns as Sootstar moves her muzzle to his ear. He yearns for her touch, wants to melt into it like kindling snapping in open flame, but he does not want her getting sick again.

She does not move away immediately. Instead, she whispers, “Badgermoon betrayed me. He saw me do something he was not meant to see.” Weaselclaw stiffens, his eyes widening. “What did he see?” He can hardly comprehend what she’s telling him. Badgermoon? He’d never been anything but loyal. He’d fought proudly alongside the black and white warrior on many occasions; he’d thought… he’d thought he could trust him with his life.

Weaselclaw’s tension does not leave, but the news that Sunstride is the new deputy eases his fears slightly. “Sunstride is a good friend to us… but…” He shakes his head, confusion clouding his blue eyes. “I was not made for it, we both know it… I’m content to serve you as I do now.” He longs to brush his tongue against her cheek, and the knowledge that he can’t feels as though it will kill him.

•  
  • weasel . weaselclaw
    — he/him ; lead warrior of windclan
    — heterosexual ; taken by Sootstar
    — short-haired chocolate tabby with white and blue eyes
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — penned by Marquette
    — chibi by Oliver

IMG_0990.png

SOOTSTAR
The dreaded question. ’What did he see?’

Sootstar is quiet for a few moments, staring at her mate it is obvious she’s lost in hesitation.
”He saw me place the tuft of cotton outside of Wolfsong’s den.” No doubt, this likely confuses Weaselclaw so she guides him to the truth. ”The one Wolfsong saw the morning he declared Cottonpaw his apprentice.”

The she-cat does not expect this to be good. In this moment she wonders if troubling him with all of this was worth it.

”But let me worry about all of this Weaselclaw. All you need to do is focus on getting better, WindClan needs you strong.” Most importantly, she needed him.
IMG_0583.gif
  • » SootSootstar
    » WindClan Leader
    » "Speech"thoughtsattack

His head pounds, both with a sick kind of fear and with the disease smoldering inside of his body. Sootstar is silent in the face of his question. When she replies, it’s clear to him—even in his state—that she had not wanted to tell him. “He saw me place the tuft of cotton outside of Wolfsong’s den.” Weaselclaw’s blue eyes narrow, the crease between them etched by puzzlement. She sees it and clarifies. “The one Wolfsong saw the morning he declared Cottonpaw his apprentice.”

His eyes stretch wide with shock. Had they been a different sort of pair, perhaps Weaselclaw would have felt betrayed by this admission. He had fretted, worried, despaired, over their youngest daughter’s appointment… but he only looks at her with a kind of resigned exhaustion. “What reason did you have to do this?” There’s nothing accusatory in his tone. Weaselclaw often does not understand his mate’s motives, but he is no leader. He is no ruler.

After several heartbeats, Weaselclaw lowers his pale chin to the white-tipped paws curled beneath his head. “Was this the final slight?” He coughs, his ribs shaking under his thin pelt. “Was this… were they—” He looks at Sootstar with eyes near-hollow with fear and acceptance.

Is StarClan going to eradicate them, he wants to ask, but he cannot do that. She tells him not to worry. It is all he will do.

•  
  • weasel . weaselclaw
    — he/him ; lead warrior of windclan
    — heterosexual ; taken by Sootstar
    — short-haired chocolate tabby with white and blue eyes
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — penned by Marquette
    — chibi by Oliver

IMG_0990.png

SOOTSTAR
Sootstar blinks, was it not obvious? She felt it so. ”Because- because she did not work out as a tunneler.” She glances away from her mate, ”and eventually when she ascends to medicine cat I will tell her about our predicament with StarClan. She’ll be able to prevent us outcry we do not want.” Cottonpaw would be Vulturemask, but better. A cat truly in their corner, ready to serve them and not the gods above.

She looks at him pitifully, far from it, she’s certain. StarClan has plenty more instore for them, for her. ”We will be okay. We’ve managed for this long, we will continue to do so.” Her paws begin to transverse backwards to turn around. ”You need rest. I’ll be back soon, and like I said, don’t worry.” Weaselclaw always had obeyed her without hesitation, but Sootstar does not realize this is an impossible ask.

Once their goodbyes are exchanged she turns around and exits the den.
IMG_0583.gif
  • » SootSootstar
    » WindClan Leader
    » "Speech"thoughtsattack

• Love
Reactions: Marquette