private helping hand // starlingheart

Every so often she can spy a ShadowClanner in their midst. Some are simply curious folk unwilling to miss out on the fun (or incredible lackthereof.) Others are patrolmen, designated by higher ups to be sure that no cat is out of line within their territory. Cottonpaw supposes, however, that there must be some third category. Some cats chat the day away while others have hard stares - yet the resident medicine cat is soft at all her edges, looking about warily. Concern is evident in Starlingheart's feature -concern for cats that are not her own.

Again a bitter taste floods Cottonpaw's mouth, however she cannot discern if it is anger and frustration for their situation (which one? Virtues do not seem to find them lately,) or jealousy that despite everything, Starlingheart is still a soft and kind soul. Perhaps in some childish way, it's simply unfair.

"Starlingheart," she calls to the older she-cat, ears folding backwards for a moment. This feels unlike how she's approached a cat before - almost transactional, at least on her end. Wolfsong... would he be appreciative of her initiative, in spite of her fear and anger? Or would he later tell her to leave the senior medicine cats to him? Alas, all she has in the moment is the chance to ask for forgiveness later. Regardless, Cottonpaw steps closer to the other, not looking unlike her very own mother. She doesn't wear a smile, which is unusual for her.

"The herbs you gave me - thank you," her tail twitches, and though she can recall the basics now after a short discussion with Berryheart, her knowledge still limits itself. "My Clanmates appreciate the help," though she's unsure if she's lying through her teeth. A brief pause and she seats herself, "I'm... not sure how herbs grow in your territory, nor what Wolfsong would be able to part with but - once we're all home, allow us to return the favor." She does not wish to be in debt, at the end of the day. A part of her wishes to make this a friendly piece of medicine cat life, providing for all the Clans and not just her own - however the surface level proves to be selfish primarily. "Is there anything you may need in the coming moons?"

@STARLINGHEART

When Starlingheart looks upon cats of other clans she does not see the dividing lines that others may see. She does not see RiverClan and WindClan, SkyClan and ThunderClan, but rather she sees cats who are injured, cats who are hungry and suffering and cats who need help and it makes her heart twist in a way that is not unwholly familiar. It is the drive that keeps her going even though she feels she has not gotten a good night of sleep in moons, this need to protect that has been instilled on her from such a young age. She has seen so much death and she knows that her paws have the power to prevent it so why not? Why would she allow others to suffer when she knows there is something she can do to help?

Her name being called by a familiar voice causes her to look up, round green eyes resting on Cottonpaw and softening with a gentle smile and a flick of her tail in the way of a greeting. She listens quietly as the gray-furred apprentice speaks, takes note in how she fidgets and the uncertainty in her voice. She remembers how she had been at that age, feigning confidence while all the clan looked to her like she was both their savior and their doom. "That is a very kind offer Cottonpaw" she says, her voice genuinely touched with gratitude "But it-it's okay. I did not do what I did expecting a favor in turn but rather because it felt like the right thing to-to do. WindClan owes us nothing, please-please don't worry about it. I had extras anyways." it is a small lie, but her stock was built up enough that isn't entirely untrue. She could make do with what she had for her own clan while not having to watch the others suffer. "Now, tell me, has Wolfsong taught you the proper way to-to dress a wound yet?" she asks, motioning to the small herb collection she had bundled into an ivy leaf and brought with her. Inside was all the basics she might need in case her expertise was needed when she visited.