here I am, a rabbit hearted girl | iciclefang

Time is a cruel mistress. Half a moon she has been a widow; half a moon her kits have grown, eyes now open and steps attempted. Reality is sinking in that soon enough her children will be as independent as Iciclefang’s - exploring outside of the nursery, getting small injuries, talking and talking back.

Will her fragile heart survive such a stage?

“Is it hard letting them go? Letting them grow up?”

It’s a rare moment afforded to the two queens, where neither sets of kits are in need of maternal attention for the time being. Robinheart shuffles somewhat near the older queen, respectful of space but close enough to have a conversation. “You seem to… handle it well. I don’t know if I will when that time comes.”

@iciclefang
[ penned by kerms ]

Robinheart has had her share of grief. Brookstorm had drawn lines in the sand with her claws even before she’d left RiverClan for StarClan, and Robinheart was left in her wake, grief-rent and mothering kits alone. Iciclefang can commiserate—Stormywing is not dead, but she might as well be—her presence is a danger to her kits’ livelihoods. The tortoiseshell looks up as the gentle-tongued queen speaks to her, shuffling close but retaining a respectful distance. Iciclefang dips her head to her.

“Is it hard letting them go? Letting them grow up?” The red-breasted tortoiseshell’s eyes are limpid with feeling, with emotion that Iciclefang scrounges for. Is it hard, she wonders? “I remember when they were as tiny as yours,” she answers after a heartbeat. “Now, Pinekit treads water and injures her paw on Twoleg trash. She tells me she hates me when she doesn’t get her way.” Her brow creases, though her expression remains stoic for the most part. “Crabkit tells me he cannot hunt, for fear of hurting the prey. Cragkit re-enacts my life, down to its most dangerous moments…

She trails off. Her kits are nearing six moons, now. What is she to do, but buckle down and survive the tide that threatens to overtake her?

I want them to be the best RiverClan warriors they can be,” she murmurs. “That’s what we all want for our kits, isn’t it?

• ooc:
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 24 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring Cicadapaw ; previously mentored n/a
    — riverclan lead warrior & queen. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

She offers the smallest of smiles in gratitude towards Iciclefang’s agreement to a conversation. These moments do not seem to come up often and Robinheart must admit to herself that the older queen’s parenting style intrigues her.

In that admittance also lies the unspoken question of how such a style has affected the kits. Spouting hatred in the face of being told no, fearing taking the life of prey, glorifying acts of danger. What was typical kitten behavior and what was learned and fostered from the tortoiseshell sitting before her?

Robinheart doesn’t ask, will more than likely never ask because of the potential implications. Instead she purses her lips and nods as Iciclefang posits a question. That’s what we all want for our kits, isn’t it? Proper RiverClan warriors - strong and loyal to the marrow. “They will be,” the young queen replies quickly, sunbright vision meeting with chips of sapphire. “I look at your kits and I see beacons of strength and independence. Boldness and hints of compassion. They’ll make fine RiverClanners because they have a mother who is the epitome of greatness and loyalty.” If Iciclefang weren’t those things she wouldn’t be a lead warrior.

“I fear the road to warriorhood will not be easy for my kits.” Her gaze drops to her paws and tail tip twitches with discomfort. “I want them to grow up to be strong RiverClanners. But I’m afraid I will hold them back. I’ve never been a strong fighter… it would be all too easy to question my loyalty to RiverClan if they ever learned about my mistakes made during my apprenticeship. And I’m alone. They don’t even have Brookstorm to help shape them and guide them.” So many factors seem to stack up against her; so many things that make the young molly afraid of messing up.
[ penned by kerms ]