hot sugar in the afternoon | sweetpaw

Mar 30, 2023
Despite being apprenticed to the same mentor as Sweetpaw, despite quite literally being there when they were born, Orchidpaw finds themself wondering why they realize they know next to nothing about Forestshades kits. She had helped babysit a bit when she was much younger but she had mostly spent her younger moons training... Its something they have beat theirself up over and today it changes. She seeks out the little black void in camp, having already grabbed a robin.

She drops the bird next to Sweetpaw, making sure its an audible thump as she settles quietly besides them. Both of them were off today, so why... not try to get to know them better, right? She internally cringes at the fact that talking to other cats is scary. She already feels her heart picking up pace, anyways... "Swe-" she cuts off, swallowing hard and screwing her eyes shut. "Sweetpaw, hello. Hi..." she mews, near silent. "Uhm..." she finds that she has already lost what she wanted to talk about. "How have you b-been?" her lip quivers and she draws in a sharp breath.

Shes known this kid all her life. Why is it so hard to talk to everyone?

• @Sweetpaw
  • ❝ i smile because i want to, i smile because you want to. ❞
    orchidkit, orchidpaw
    ❥ afab ,, she/they ,, 13 months
    ❥ apprentice of shadowclan ,, mentored by forestshade
    ❥ lanky yet fluffy cinnamon smoke she-cat with wide violet eyes
    ❥ "speech, d1afed" ,, thoughts
    ❥ bisexual ,, single
    ❥ smells like lilies and iris'

————————————————————⊰ʚ・ɞ⊱————————————————————

"Oh-um-hi!"
Black ears flick upward from where they had been laying flat against his skull in silent contemplation, the sound of a soft thing landing by his paws and the immediate scent of blood made him turn with a polite head tilt; his unseeing gaze focusing at a point just behind Orchidpaw's face. It was not entirely the older apprentice's fault she and Sweetpaw never had much bonding outside training; he was a quiet cat by nature and they ever really bothered being the first to make efforts at socializing. Between the two of them being awkward no real talking or developing of a bond had been given a chance to blossom. Not to say he didn't like her, she had watched him as a kitten and was a prominent figure in a period of his young life where he spent most his time wondering when his mother would come back to the nursery to see him. Sweetpaw's whiskers quivered as he offered a tentative smile, their paw raising to prod at the bird offered, "Sparrow? No...smaller. A finch? Thank you. Um..." The question is difficult to answer.
Not for the reasons Orchidpaw probably thought it was, but he didn't really want to get into it too in-depth for something as lighthearted as just friendly chatter, "I'm okay. Mom-um-Forestshade took me out to combat train without you the other day, it was...odd." They were never going to be a skilled fighter but self-defense was important too. He guessed.
"...you're going to be a warrior soon aren't you? Are you-uh-nervous?"

•  

• dgk46r8-d35803c3-b9f6-4c83-bc9c-6e8999e976b9.png
    Sweetpaw
    —⊰⋅ Apprentice of ShadowClan
    —⊰⋅ They/Them
    "SPEECH", 'THOUGHTS', ATTACK
    —⊰⋅ LH Solid black w/golden eyes (Is Blind)

"You're g-good at that." surprisingly enough, despite Orchid's training focus being in hunting, she feels as if there were too many bird-types to remember... She swallows hard. Apparently Forestshade had taken them out to train in combat and an ugly, quick flash of jealousy builds within their chest before it fades like a flame extinguished. Theres no need to be jealous. They're happy for Sweetpaw. "How was that? Or- Uhm, how was it odd? I... was... am... never good at that s-stuff..." they jerk their head away, awkwardly, incase of judgement.

Sweetpaw brings up the fact shes gonna be a warrior soon. Are you, uh, nervous? Oh, shes more than...

She freezes, her heart pounding a little too hard in her chest, anxiety settling in the pit of her stomach. "I- Uhm... Uh-" they struggle with their words for a second. Does she admit shes terrified of the responsibility that comes next? Being a warrior is a big thing, its what she has prepared for all of her life. Its what Forestshade has prepared her for and yet Orchid feels anything but ready. They're going to let everyone down, they know it already... "Isn't- Isn't everyone?" she forces a smile that drops when she remembers in her stupor that whether she smiled or not, it wouldn't bother them. "I think, uhm- I j-just hope... my warrior name... is, uh, cool." they mew, trying to keep their voice even. Chilledstar wouldn't embarrass her, would they? "How ab-about you, S-Sweetpaw? You only have a f-few moons left, right?"

• 78638539_9sjaI0ymFZeQLie.png
    ❝ i smile because i want to, i smile because you want to. ❞
    orchidkit, orchidpaw
    ❥ afab ,, she/they ,, 13 months
    ❥ apprentice of shadowclan ,, mentored by forestshade
    ❥ lanky yet fluffy cinnamon smoke she-cat with wide blue eyes
    ❥ "speech, d1afed" ,, thoughts
    ❥ bisexual ,, single
    ❥ smells like lilies and iris'