pafp i’ll take the night shift | fishing lessons

Salmon would be lying if she said she wasn't the slightest bit proud of Ratpaw for rapid improvement. The apprentices skills had greatly increased over their short amount of time, but was the little one ready to face fishing? Only an outing would tell, and Salmon prays that Ratpaw takes to it like she took to swimming. A little wobbly, always room for improvement, but she had the basics down.

She did have to take a deep breath as she led Ratpaw out, taking the lead as she had done so many times before. It’s nothing new, but as she had told Lichentail: it was her first time mentoring, really teaching anybody in depth. There had been times where she gave advice, but never had she been entrusted with such a small being. Something nervous prickles under her pelt, but she makes a good job at hiding it.

Okay,” comes Salmons voice, cool as ever as they draw to a stop by the riverbank. “I’m going to start you out small. I know we went over swimming multiple times,” blue eyes squint ever so slightly as she stares at her apprentice. “But swimming after a big catch that either got away, or could be a meal is much different. We will save that for when I see you become more confident in the water.” she’d hum lightly, crouching next to the water and beckoning Ratpaw to do the same. “You’ll want to crouch in a way that makes it so your shadow doesn’t fall over the water, and patience is key. You’ll shoot your paw out to scoop them up and kill it whenever it lands. And remember: they call it fishing, not catching.” her whiskers twitch just barely in amusement before she spots small shadows swimming in the shallows. Minnows, perfect for practicing. “Try. I will correct anything that needs it after.” and so she watches. Will Ratpaw be a natural at this?

• @Ratpaw
  • dg5qxk9-f1e272c6-c705-4449-95a5-6dfb1b0a3b3c-removebg-preview.png
    -> salmon ,, salmonshade
    -> cis female ,, she/her ,, 30 months
    -> warrior of riverclan ,, former marsh grouper
    -> fluffy & dainty chocolate tortie smoke with low white and blue eyes
    -> “speech, ff91a4” ,, thoughts
    -> lesbian ,, single
    -> smells like warm flowers & freshly cut grass
    -> image by @wrendoings [ disc ]

The praise she had received in their swimming lessons had kept Ratpaw excited about what was to come in the future, and when Salmonshade mentioned that they would be fishing, she got even more excited. In her four moons of life, Ratpaw had successfully caught a fish once and although she wouldn't admit it, that had been a fluke. She remembered getting small tips from Petalnose, the deputy teaching her how to stay in the shadows and out of the sun when the kitten at the time had put her tail in the water to try and catch minnows, and even though that was only roughly a moon ago it felt like a lifetime. Now Ratpaw was able to go outside of camp, see the new waters and oh all the smells. It was overwhelming, but she enjoyed it and it meant that she finally got to do stuff like this - fish outside of camp. She had hoped that they would catch something other than minnows - she had already caught one before, she was already a pro of course - but they would do.

There was talk of swimming after a catch, and Ratpaw sat there for a moment processing the information. Sometimes they swam after catches? How did the fish not drag them down? She could swim but the idea of holding onto a wiggly fish at the same time caused the apprentice to shudder slightly, the first time she felt anxious about their training. They weren't going to do that now, but they could in the future... she would just have to make sure she never let a fish go so that she didn't have to swim after it. "We will save that for when I see you become more confident in the water." Oh thank StarClan.

Fishing, not catching. She nod her head, information absorbing as she sat quietly, turning to look at the water before crouching down as instructed. Her shadow was in the water at first, so Ratpaw adjusted where she was - it took a few moments, unsure of where the shadow would move when she did - before she sat there, waiting for the minnow to come back. After a while when she saw plenty come back, she quickly went for the water, and reeled back, looking over to the shore expecting to see her catch, only to soon deflate. There was nothing there. Instead of scooping her paw she had simply slapped the water, too focused on the fish to realize what she was doing, and due to the lack of practice in this area, even if she had scooped she still wouldn't have caught anything - she was just a little to far to the right. "Wh-" Quiet noise came from the apprentice, slightly stunned. "But I caught one before, why not now?"
  • [ooc]
  • ratpaw is a four moon old apprentice of RiverClan. Her mentor is Salmonshade. She is an all white cat with rounded ears and orange eyes. She is currently a weak swimmer, weak hunter, and a weak fighter. She is loyal to RiverClan, is bisexual and is currently NOT looking for a relationship. She is OPEN to plots and private threads, but CLOSED for injuries. PEACEFUL POWERPLAY IS ALLOWED.
  • a reference image should go here (I do not have one teehee)

image0.jpg
LAKEMOON — me and the devil, walking side by side.
Being a first-time mentor was something Lakemoon could empathize with, learning to find the balance between stern and cruel, encouraging and lax. Learning to channel her inner Houndstride.
She is solo today, however, and drawn over by the sound of Salmonshade’s soft instructing, half expecting to stumble upon a patrol or group training session.
As a forepaw parts the reeds, Lakemoon is almost disappointed to find she had walked into a one-on-one training session, and is left feeling a bit awkward.
Any inner turmoil cannot be seen as she rolls with the circumstance, dipping her head in greeting towards both warrior and apprentice.
Ratpaw grumbles in frustration and Lakemoon flicks her ear in subtle amusement.
"I can’t name any warrior who hasn’t missed a catch or two." The silver tabby offers reassuringly, coming to Salmonshade’s side. Deciding to hold her tongue for the moment, Lakemoon refrains from saying anything else- this was Salmonshade’s time.

"speech"
tags

• Crying
Reactions: SALTSTING

She remembered instructing Ratpaw when she had caught her trying to fish with her tail. It was interesting to catch her again this time with a mentor, of a position she didn't need to step in and teach anymore. The scene did make her feel warm, prideful almost to see the little white furball grow into an apprentice. Belief in Ratpaw did linger within her as she silently fished from afar, believing that the ambitious feline would make this catch. Petalnose remembered her successful catch being announced beneath the shaken voice of fear in result of the so called monster of a toad that preyed upon her reward. That was enough for the lead warrior to watch with confidence for the young apprentice.

But.. she didn't catch it.

Petalnose blinked at the impatient swipe at Salmonshade's gentle instructions. She let out a slow breath quietly to herself, adverting her gaze to the water Infront of her. The woman didn't voice any sound, letting Salmonshade take over her mentor duties alone. All she did was have faith for the both of them.

Maybe next try. The kit had the ambition.

Tags