I built this hall of mirrors all myself ;; thistleback

DUSKMANE

the madness of mercy
Dec 9, 2022

"WE’VE COME TO A DANGEROUS PLACE"
The events over the past few weeks seemed to throw chaos into his life. Deersong had stepped down as deputy, his brother had returned to him after moons. Blazestar seemed more…solemn than he had been when he joined this clan. He felt a mix of emotions, a mix of bittersweet emotions and a spark of anger and something else. It was conflicting, confusing. Simplicity was no longer a thing in his life and something he yearned for. He was happy to see his brother, happy that he has him in his life again. The state of the clan at this present moment concerned him. The last time Blazestar had called a meeting…it seemed the spark the leader had was fading. Many of his clanmates were caught up with the mourning of their lost members. He understood grief, the pain of loss. The change of deputy so suddenly changed the mood of the clan. It was sad, yet joyous. At least, Deersong still lived in the clan and was taking care of her family. He understood the need to do that. The smoky feline just hoped that Orangeblossom would be just as good at her job.

That led him to today. The stars in the night sky silhouetting himself and his companion on this outing. The warrior looked to the other tom, pondering what to say. His ivory paws dug into the mud on the ground after the snow had melted away. It chilled him to his bones, the wind causing his nose to run. With a sigh, he finally spoke to the lead warrior. “So, congratulations on the title.” Duskmane felt awkward saying that, but it was important to do so for an achievement such as this. It meant he was trusted, did it not? Well, more so than the rest of them. “Blazestar seems to trust you and your judgment.”

The warrior paused in the conversation to give Thistleback a chance to respond. “I envy that, I must say.” Honesty broke through, unfurling through his lips. “To be trusted and to trust. I don’t envy the responsibility.” As he strode to the spot that Thistleback had stated he wanted patrolled for prey, he was silent as a shadow. He stopped at the edge, curling his paws beneath him and relaxing there just for a moment. It was extraordinary here, the calmness of the night. The peace it brought. “I never thought being in a clan was something I’d want. I came here because of those who tried to hunt and kill me for showing someone a kindness. Perhaps, I was never meant for the loner life.”
✦ ★ ✦

@ThistleBack