camp I CLOSE MY EYES — prompt & day off

Dec 29, 2023

Today was a rare day amongst Smudgepaw and his clanmates. They finally had an opportunity to relax and not worry about patrols or training. Members of the clan could be seen scattered about, talking amongst themselves or playing with kits. The positive energy was surging though each of his clanmates, even grasping the usually irritable apprentice by surprise. Laying down in a sunny spot, Smudgepaw stuck to grooming his light brown patches of fur, with no plan in mind. At this point, he was willing to do almost anything. He'd have a polite conversation, take a nap together or even play with some of the kits. Having a clanwide day off was motivation enough for him, leaving him to enjoy the day at his own pace.

// prompt: light brown

⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ if the clan was to take a break for the day, nightbird had missed the memo. after dragging palepaw from her warm nest for training, she had left once more to try and get some hunting in. the freshkill pile was never stocked enough when there was a nursery full of kittens.

crossing through the camp entrance, she tossed her kill onto the pile. some apprentice would deliver it if they hadn't all dozed off already. making her way back to the warrior's den, the warrior nearly tripped on smudgepaw who sat idly, peacefully. her nose wrinkled. "well, aren't you relaxed," she huffed, shaking loose snow from her fur. "kits look hungry, you should bring 'em a meal before they mistake you for a mouse."

• IMG_0032.png
  • NIGHTBIRD she/her, lead warrior of thunderclan, twenty-eight moons.
    a small black smoke molly with a single white paw and pale silver eyes.
    mate to raccoonstripe / / mentor to palepaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    see battle info here
    penned by vayle@vayl3 on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

to be reborn , you have to die first .
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
Then we would have one less mouth to feed. He thought dryly, pinkish hues narrowing, staring at the two with a slow swish of his plumed tail, wrapping around his sleeping mate, white-furred helm tucked against his shoulder, curled halfway around the ghostly tom.

Spiderlily was content with today, freshkill pile within eyesight. “I’m sure they’d find your corpse most pleasing.” He added, whiskers quivering in half-hearted amusement.
thought speech

"I'd rather we don't make a habit of feeding each other to the kits, Spiderlily," Flycatcher chuckled at the other tom's remark as he approached the group. His attention shifted to Smudgepaw who looked quite at ease and relaxed. It was rare for so many in the clan to be in camp at that point in the day. He was glad to see the young apprentice seemed to be enjoying the brief reprieve in activities, though it wouldn't last for too long as the whole clan was needed to work hard in this harsh season. "Nightbird had a good suggestion though," Flycatcher mewed, nodding to the dark furred lead warrior. "I'm sure the kits would appreciate something tasty from the fresh-kill pile."

He has never been the type to sit idle. When he was an apprentice, he had behaved as of days off didn’t exist. Because in his mind, they didn’t. Not when every cat in the clan was looking At him with eyes that he can still imagine hidden malice behind. Any slip up and fault would be accredited to his kittypet blood, any short coming a result of being a descendent of the kittypet king himself. He had needed to work twice as hard, had needed to carve a name for himself out of sweat and blood. He had done it though, all of his hard work had proven that he was a cat truly worthy of the title warrior.

He does not like it when apprentices are given days off, does not think it necessary. What in their training is so demanding, so difficult that they need to waste sunlight for a whole day? His eyes narrow but he does not say anything farther, to press further after Nightbird had already would only irk Smudgepaw, and possibly his mentor as well.

Instead, his gaze shifts to Flycatcher, an amused twitch of his whiskers when the tom asks that Spiderlily please refrain from feeding anyone to the kits. "We are not ShadowClan" he agrees, his voice good natured "but I mean… if worse came to worse… you look like you could make a decent meal" with this, he gives his prior mentor a friendly bump on the shoulder.