private I hate biting my tongue ƚƚ Racoonstripe

Houndshade

Lowering your expectations
May 26, 2024
YOU THINK THAT YOU'RE THE MAN

The newleaf sun was a crafted slight against Houndpaw personally, she was certain of it. No matter where she tried to go it seemed to peek through any obstacle around her. Her growling stomach was a painful reminder of the fact that she had been neglecting her needs in this glaring morning. Delicate paws walk towards the fresh kill pile, staring at the mounted bodies in front of her causing her thoughts to drift to the latest stir of the clan.

The hunting patrol led by Raccoonstripe had turned into a spectacle of breaking the warrior code. They kept their heads down when the patrol returned. While she enjoys weighing in her opinions she enjoyed the lack of attention on her when emotions were that high more.

Still, she can't help but wonder what was going through the deputies head. It was no secret that Howlingstar was upset with him, half the clan was. She disliked him before this instance, the way he carried himself with such high regard. There was self satisfaction in watching what can happen when someone tries too hard to do what's best for the clan, if he hadn't taken his role to heart would this have occurred? They found that they would love to pick his mind over it, and set aside some kind of pettiness that she held towards him just to figure out his reasoning.

A rather pitiful looking mouse hung by its tail from her jaws as she sought out the tabby. The chocolate smoke sat beside him, not bothering to see what he had picked from the pile if he had eaten anything at all. Nose turned up towards the sky as she dropped the mouse by her paws. Part of her wondered if this was SkyClan's, it was silly, unlikely and fleeting but perhaps that's what spurs her to speak.

“Was there a difference in prey between ours and SkyClan’s?” She meowed curiously, looking away from the sky line and towards the deputy. “We share a border so I never really thought about if there would be a big difference.”

I THINK, THEREFORE, I AM

It's no secret the Clan has divided since Raccoonstripe and his patrol had returned, jaws laden with SkyClan prey. He sometimes does not know which side his Clanmates are on, but he pays it no attention—not now. He has felt his fur sizzle with the judgment of his leader, his deputy, his medicine cat, his mate, and he still carries himself regally, despite the black mark staining his name now as predator, as thief, as codebreaker. The tabby warrior sits beside the fresh-kill pile, aimless, when a young she-cat with a smoky brown pelt nestles into the space beside him. "Was there a difference in prey between ours and SkyClan's?" Her voice is low and curious, more than anything else.

Raccoonstripe smirks, angles his head toward the young apprentice's. "In taste? A little. There's pine sap flavor all throughout their birds and squirrels." He stretches, feeling the muscles burn beneath his shining dark fur. "But the real difference is that their prey is slow and easy to catch. Too used to kittypets hunting it, instead of real warriors." He eyes her with his twinkling dark gaze, wondering where she falls on the scale of judgment.

• ooc:
  • 74327127_amPwOaY4eGaGkj8.png
  • Raccoon . Raccoonstripe, he/him w/ masculine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 37 moons old, ages realistically on the 5th.
    — mentored by n/a ; mentoring Thistlepaw ; previously mentored Wildheart, Moonwhisper
    — thunderclan lead warrior. gray wolf x howlingstar, gen 2.
    — currently mated to Nightbird.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh black tabby with white and dark brown eyes. charismatic, charming, calculating, ambitious, shallow, manipulative.

Her face scrunches at the mention of the pine sap flavour, Houndpaw found herself wondering if that was a particularly over-bearing flavour. Would that mean that the prey she was used to would be seen too much as oaky or something by the other clans? They bite the head off the prey they had picked while listening to him, trying to take care in noticing if there was a difference. This was the food they had grown up with though so they could discern no noticeable flavour or scent to it, it was merely ThunderClan. They pause their eating at his second comment, moreso pausing at the fact that he was eyeing her.

Oh great, some unspoken expectation was afoot here. Just what was he trying to gauge? She hovers her paw over the mouse's body, eyeing him back in kind. Her expression was neutral, a polite smile given but overall they were guarded. “Hm, perhaps you should have led a larger patrol so we could have had more prey then but I suppose hindsight clouds my judgement” she comments with a shrug. A light laugh filling the air between them “no matter how easy the prey is I’m surprised they even know how to hunt” Disdain is delicately laced into her voice. No matter how lazy she tried to be she was never going to one up the kittypets in that regard. Perhaps she was envious of the fact that everything was handed to them, rather than living through the hardship that clan life could be at times.

“Do you regret leading that patrol at all?” They suppose this wasn’t the first time Raccoonstripe had heard this question be asked, perhaps it was the first time he had heard it not in a harsh judgmental tone. They were coming from a place of indifference, more of a mere thought project than a moral quandary.

I THINK, THEREFORE, I AM

Raccoonstripe's smile takes on a steely, calculating quality at Houndpaw's blithe response. Apprentices are so insolent, he thinks, but he does not rebuke her. Instead, he mews, "The size of the patrol you organize sends a message. Too large of a patrol can be read as a battle party." He runs his tongue over the film of his fangs, thoughtful. "We were already trespassing, and blood was already being spilled. Had I brought more warriors with me, would they have attacked us first without asking questions? Even if they are kittypets, it would have been risky." His eyes narrow, and he lifts his white paw to his mouth, runs his tongue along the snow-colored fur.

Do you regret leading that patrol at all? The tabby warrior's tail tip flicks with impatience. "Bellies were fed," he answers. "Besides, regret is for the weak. What's done is done." He knows too much about regret, the way it haunts you, the way it stirs in your dreams and fills your mouth with the taste of blood. Best not to admit to a thing like that here, with scrupulous young Houndpaw.

• ooc:
    — mentored by n/a ; mentoring Thistlepaw ; previously mentored Wildheart, Moonwhisper
    — penned by Marquette.

lh black tabby with white and dark brown eyes. charismatic, charming, calculating, ambitious, shallow, manipulative.

His words were wise, she had to give credit where credit is due for that. She didn't particularly care for political situations like that, who knew that the size of a patrol could be such a big deal. The other clans are just sensitive, there's no way that it should be that big of a deal. Houndpaw knew when she was walking too close to a line though, that line was fast approaching. Though, she could do what ThunderClan seems to be good at and jump clean over it. That would be saved for a later point, right now they were curious about the size of patrols sending a message.

“I guess you're right, what do I know.” She comments with a shrug “have you ever been part of a ‘battle party’ before then?” she rests her chin on a raised ashen dusted paw as she speaks. It walked in the valleys between interested and bored, Raccoonstripe could really take it either way she wasn't bothered by it. She had considered it briefly, being part of something like that, it was rather dull. Too much work in her opinion, as many things were.

There lies her issue with most ThunderClan warriors, in particular with Raccoonstripe. All that work, blood sweat and tears over countless moons going into dutiful and unrelenting work. What did he get for it? a slap on a paw and his name being sullied over his own hubris. Code breaking was bad, she understood that since it has been drilled into her.

That patrol broke the code for the clan though, once again bearing the brunt of the clans issues. Taking on more work than he should and nothing to show for it, worse off than if he did nothing at all. The deputy didn't seem to regret it, if his words were to be believed anyways. “Hm, that's good then, you can't change the past” they yawn as she stretches, acting more tired than they actually were.

“I guess you'll have more to not regret then, since you'll probably get your title stripped away soon. Who do you think Howlingstar will delegate that to?” There was a small smile as she spoke, acting like their words weren't callous. It must be embarrassing to have the title of temporary deputy stripped. That is if Howlingstar even does that, they normally didn't judge the leader but they would raise an eyebrow if she didn't. What kind of precedent would that set for future code breakers?

“But hey, no point dwelling on the future either. For what it's worth, you're okay for a deputy, I liked you! Glad you thought this sacrifice was worth it.” She drawls with a sigh, finally vaulting over the line of pleasantries. Another yawn on the tip of her tongue as she gives him a sleepy smile.

I THINK, THEREFORE, I AM

• Wow
Reactions: Marquette
Raccoonstripe can see the glaze of disinterest color Houndpaw's gaze, and it ruffles his fur. The dark tabby warrior inclines his head when she asks if he's been part of a battle party. "During the Great Battle," he says, and like a reflex, there's blood taste in his mouth, gurgling in his throat. He struggles to keep his poker face. "We were far less organized before there were Clans, I fear." Less organized, more lawless, more brutal. He certainly had been.

"I guess you'll have more to not regret then, since you'll probably get your title stripped away soon." His ears flick, his expression morphing into one of incredulity. "Excuse me?" He's so stunned that for a moment, he does not know how to control his facial features. After a few heartbeats, they settle into a scowl. "Howlingstar and I have spoken. She knows ThunderClan needs me while Flamewhisker is incapacitated. I have led this Clan well in her absence." But no, now this feels like—like protesting, like defiance.

He gives his pelt a shake, hoping it will help him regain his composure. The smile he gives Houndpaw now is steely. "I'm so glad to know I'm your favorite deputy. Don't think it will let you get away with not picking ticks for those sly comments of yours."

• ooc:
    — penned by Marquette.