I SAW A LUNAR ECLIPSE ☀︎ MOONBEAM

it’s strange — since howlingstar’s announcement, she’d known it would be strange. riverclan’s medicine cat is an enigma to her ; some phantom thing, soft at the edges with fur pure as fallen snow, and like the layer of frost layering it she ails to disturb. she’s seen her only in passing, in glimpses at gatherings past, hovering near where the medics gather and freckleflame had never ventured too near them. it seems painful, that weight of starlight, and the tortoiseshell couldn’t find it in herself to disrupt whatever mysticism veils them from the rest of the forest-dwellers. moonbeam may as well have been a ghost, ethereal and lingering in moonlight where her fur catches in gleams of stardust, and the fact that she was so close . . made her a little sick.

ever since her days in too - big kitten paws, freckleflame had avoided the medicine den ; avoided berryheart, then gentlestorm in turn. she doesn’t speak of lichenpaw. a silent press of thin lids and she sends a prayer to the heavens as she nears ( she hopes they’d gone somewhere. maybe she’d know, if she didn’t hold herself so far from starlight to ask. ), breathes in a deep, calming breath of the pheasant hanging limp - necked in her teeth. without a moment to hesitate longer, freckleflame steps through the entrance, blinking against the cross-hatch lighting of gentlestorm’s den. amidst the bleary darkness, she can still pinpoint moonbeam’s bright fur, ” hi, sorry, i’m — i just, are, uh . . are you hungry? “ it was a bad start, stumbled so horribly through a mawful of red-ticked feathers that she has to momentarily close her eyes in embarrassment.

the smell of herbs and poultice is thick, though beneath is is a watery scent. brackish, like how she would expect the bottom of a pond to smell — which was ruder than she intended, and she couldn’t say that, so she just says, ” sorry it’s not a fish, i just don’t . . know how to do that. “ she says, stupidly, because no other clan than riverclan could fish . . not unless windclan and shadowclan were keeping big secrets. regardless, her heart ticks up again, tail lashing behind her with frantic energy. she has not dropped the pheasant yet, not that i wouldn’t want to or anything, i bet it’s really . . fuuun? it’s just . . all the fur . . “ for stars sake, why is she still going?

78131362_AJW5AAJphsIXmja.png
  • i.
  • @Moonbeam

• 74358446_5A10PH5FEpmGJJY.png

• AND I AM A WITNESS WATCHING IT
    FRECKLEFLAME 𖦹 . LESBIAN, SINGLE. SMELLS LIKE SUN - WARMED OAK AND RICH, EARTHY MUSK. TWENTY MOONS OLD. FRIEND & SISTER TO MANY! NAMED A WARRIOR OF THUNDERCLAN ON 8 / 3 / 2023. MENTORING BRAVEPAW! PENNED BY ANTLERS -----------------------------------------
    78457700_xPWPrrxsVVnAJd3.gif
    she / her, eldest daughter of rabbitnose and the late sunfreckle. big, fluffy cream - ribboned tortoiseshell with seaglass eyes. she is fire - forged, smoldering ; something bright and voracious, radiant as the blazes that once raged through her homeland. shades of vibrant russet, dousing swathes of shadow and interwoven with ribbons pale cream come to drape like licks of flame over her hulking form. a heft of roundness settles comfortably upon her form in adulthood, padding muscle hardened by her life in the forest and yet still partially concealed beneath a tangled thicket of undergrowth - laden pelt. warriorhood had brought her to full height ; kittypet lineage showing itself in glimpses of rotund paws and tufted, long - furred toes set upon thick, tabby - splotched limbs. she is broad shouldered and square - jawed, wild cheek fur like the blazing edges of a red sun — a mirrors image of her late father, sunfreckle, and just as warm.
    A LARGE, ATHLETIC MAINE COON MOGGY. somewhat brutish in the wake of her family's staggering loss, bull - headed and hardy with something to prove, freckleflame will often find herself in border disputes as an unsurprisingly formidable opponent. a slow but hard & heavy hitter.

Being within ThunderClan camp felt odd, especially since she was the only RiverClanner here. She knew it was for the best, and she was sure Gentlestorm felt the same when he was within RiverClan's camp - though she'd never ask - with the smell of the place that one grew up so strong within them that anything else smelled off. Luckily she found comfort within the medicine den, for though there was still that scent of leaves and forest, it fought within her nostrils with the overwhelming scent of herbs. It made her feel like she was back in RiverClan, even if it was just a little bit, even though this medicine den was not lined with the feathers and flowers that Moonbeam had collected, even if the organization that Gentlestorm had decided to go with made no sense in her head.

She knew very little cats that were within ThunderClan, when they had all lived within the swamp for those few days of safety from the rogues during the yellowcough outbreak she had made it a point to speak with very few outside of RiverClan - she didn't want to stray too far, didn't want to make friends outside of her own clan just in case - and so though there were pelts that looked familiar she didn't know names. It made it odder to her that those she didn't know the names of were likely to know her name simply due to her rank within her own clan, the fact she had been to so many gatherings and sat in front of so many below the podium on which the leader's spoke their news.

One of the unfamiliar-yet-familiar cats moved through the entrance of the medicine den, hesitant and stumbling over her words. The pale moggie would offer her a small smile for just a moment before her head nod slightly. "Yeah, I could eat." It's said lightly, hopefully in a way that comforts the warrior even just a little bit before the other continues, apologizing that it's not fish as she stumbles over her words more. "That's ok! Not everyone in RiverClan can fish either so sometimes we have other stuff too." An amused noise leaves her when Freckleflame mentions her fur, says that fishing could be fun. "It's not really for everyone, getting wet and swimming and fishing, it's okay."

• --
  • flesh wounds
    ꕥꕥ infections
    aches & pains
    ꕥꕥꕥ illness
    ꕥꕥꕥ breathing
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ traveling
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ broken bones
    kitting
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ poisons
  • 85735138_Ng21HDz61WrGyCp.png
    SH white masking cinnamon torbie w/orange eyes & small ears
    15 moons old; ages the 17th every month
    homosexual polyromantic ; mated to beefang, crushing on redacted
    currently mentoring none
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    easy in combat unless in water, focuses on defensive tactics

the alabaster molly turns sunlit eyes upon her with a smile and hulking shoulders relax, anxiety dissipating beneath the amused breath that leaves her. laughter. that was more familiar ground. she grins lopsided around the bird, before startling with a breathy oh that finally allows her to drop her catch to the dusty ground. she’s shaking the remnants of embarrassment from her thick pelt when moonbeam’s words fully register — not everyone in riverclan can fish, really? huh . . i thought you guys were all about fishin’. “ genuine curiosity gleams in the pits of emerald eyes, letting her head cock at the thought of a riverclan cat afraid of water . . she wonders if they get the same treatment as kittypet blood does here.

speaking of, moonbeam huffs something humored and freckleflame looks down at herself as if it weren’t something she seen every day — a thick chest, too heavy limbs and a face too squared to be anything but. to top it all, her coat juts with leaves and twine from thunderclan’s territory, debris that caught and knotted into pale ribboned fur, ” i’d say not. i’d sink like a stone, might as well be tuggin’ another cat along with how heavy my fur’d get. i ain’t real light to begin with. “ freckleflame shifts her weight from paw to paw as if to prove her point to herself ; she figures that had something to do with it.

riverclanners, while soft and sleek and beautiful, were still much smaller than a thunderclanner. much more so than her, who takes so greatly after her father she seems splices with him, bearing shadow where he does not reveal himself. settling onto her haunches, freckleflame launches without thinking into what she does best — yapping, ” my best friend fell in once, a looong time ago . . her mate — he wasn’t her mate at th’ time, mind — managed to pulled her out b’fore things got bad, but i don’t figure id get that lucky. “ straight to the bottom, she thinks direly. hot as it was, she sometimes wished otherwise, ” so i prefer a pheasant anyway, myself. “ it was her favorite.

78131362_AJW5AAJphsIXmja.png
  • i.

• 74358446_5A10PH5FEpmGJJY.png

• AND I AM A WITNESS WATCHING IT
    FRECKLEFLAME 𖦹 . LESBIAN, SINGLE. SMELLS LIKE SUN - WARMED OAK AND RICH, EARTHY MUSK. TWENTY MOONS OLD. FRIEND & SISTER TO MANY! NAMED A WARRIOR OF THUNDERCLAN ON 8 / 3 / 2023. MENTORING BRAVEPAW! PENNED BY ANTLERS -----------------------------------------
    78457700_xPWPrrxsVVnAJd3.gif
    she / her, eldest daughter of rabbitnose and the late sunfreckle. big, fluffy cream - ribboned tortoiseshell with seaglass eyes. she is fire - forged, smoldering ; something bright and voracious, radiant as the blazes that once raged through her homeland. shades of vibrant russet, dousing swathes of shadow and interwoven with ribbons pale cream come to drape like licks of flame over her hulking form. a heft of roundness settles comfortably upon her form in adulthood, padding muscle hardened by her life in the forest and yet still partially concealed beneath a tangled thicket of undergrowth - laden pelt. warriorhood had brought her to full height ; kittypet lineage showing itself in glimpses of rotund paws and tufted, long - furred toes set upon thick, tabby - splotched limbs. she is broad shouldered and square - jawed, wild cheek fur like the blazing edges of a red sun — a mirrors image of her late father, sunfreckle, and just as warm.
    A LARGE, ATHLETIC MAINE COON MOGGY. somewhat brutish in the wake of her family's staggering loss, bull - headed and hardy with something to prove, freckleflame will often find herself in border disputes as an unsurprisingly formidable opponent. a slow but hard & heavy hitter.

She watches as the bird is finally dropped as Freckleflame reacts to the news that not everyone in RiverClan fishes and Moonbeam nods her head as if to confirm what she said had been true. "I'm sure every clan knows this by now but every cat in the clan has their place that they fit well in, those that can't or won't swim or fish do land hunting, we don't eat prey other than fish often but those cats are amazing in leafbare when the fish go deeper in the water or if the river freezes over." Everyone was helpful in their own way, whether it was something that was useful for one season or all four. She understood the feeling of helplessness with lack of skill in one area but being able to help in others. She'd been lucky to become a medicine cat for that, lack of fighting skills able to help those that got injured doing so.

"You'd be surprised," She'd begin at the next words, soft hum leaving her as she thought of the cats within RiverClan. A lot of them were smaller than the average ThunderClanner but they still had some pretty large cats within the clan that knew how to swim. "I feel like even cats who sink more than float have been able to do well if they wanted to, I imagine it just takes a little more work to stay on top of the water." But they'd be amazing fishers, moving down quicker under the water to catch some of the larger fish. She'd need to keep an eye on the cats in RiverClan next time she was out while they were fishing, see who did the best when under the water and see if they were more dense than those who stayed more towards the top.

She listened as the warrior began to tell the story about one of her friends falling into the river and getting pulled out and soon Moonbeam found herself speaking once more, tail waving behind her for a moment. "That's good, that she had someone to pull her out not that she fell in. If it helps at all if I ever see you fall in - and I hope you don't - I'll help you get out, I'm sure there's some others here who would too." Though she knew there were few within RiverClan who would help a ThunderClanner out, Moonbeam's own mate being one of the ones who would rather watch a ThunderClanner drown than rescue them.

She'd look towards the prey in that moment of silence between the two of them before she'd crouch down, paws tucking beneath her chest as she offered Freckleflame to do the same. "Do you mind sharing with me? We could talk more if you'd like, you can have the first bite too... as a thank you for bringing it and for sharing stories." She knew not everyone in the clan enjoyed her presence, and even if it turned out Freckleflame didn't Moonbeam couldn't help but be appreciative that she was being kind.

• --
  • flesh wounds
    ꕥꕥ infections
    aches & pains
    ꕥꕥꕥ illness
    ꕥꕥꕥ breathing
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ traveling
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ broken bones
    kitting
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ poisons
  • 85735138_Ng21HDz61WrGyCp.png
    SH white masking cinnamon torbie w/orange eyes & small ears