private i wish i could be strong enough | darkpaw training

Jun 8, 2022
( ⚘ ) Oh rivers, Reedrunner was nervous. Cicadastar had thought them suitable however, and disobeying the leader was frankly an even more nervewracking venture. Darkpaw seemed- nice, though? Like his dad, one of the few the warrior didn't grow speechless around.

There was so much pressure, to be a strong and suitable role model. For not the first time, Reedrunner quietly cursed the fact that they had been left in a territory that focussed on fishing- a skill they lacked so severely they had almost been apprenticed themself.

Antsy paws, laden with timorous friction, tugged them along the camp's pebbled surface. It took a second for them to settle into a suitable sitting position, tail not too far out, feet in the right place, but eventually Reedrunner mustered the courage to speak up towards the apprentice den's entrance.

"Darkpaw!" The name was uttered with a stutter, a cracked whistle that they immediately regretted. "A-are you free? I thought, maybe, we could go on a little training trek? If that's okay..." Well, that wasn't confidence but at least they had gotten the moss ball rolling. The more it rolled, the better they'd feel- right?

/hehe the duo has begun! @DARKKIT
( WALK 'TIL YOU'RE RESTLESS, SLEEP 'TIL YOU'RE TIRED )

Reactions: DARKWHISKER
Darkpaw had some trouble sleeping that night, even after he'd nestled as close as possible to his littermates in his new nest. But, he tells himself that it's because he is excited, just like everyone else is. Not because he misses the warmth of his mother as she curled around them. Not because he misses the sweet, milky scent of the nursery. Nope. Not at all.

Eventually, he dozes off, until Reedrunner's shrill call rouses him. Darkpaw raises his head and blinks away the sleep that crowds the corners of his vision, before unfurling himself and stretching. "Good morning!" The dark-furred apprentice trills back. He picks up the pebble he's so intent on bringing and pads out from the den. Reedrunner, as usual, stutters over their own enthusiasm... That's what it is, Darkpaw tells himself. But he gives no indication that he's noticed, beaming up at the warrior once he's placed the pebble at his paws. It doesn't quite reach his eyes. "Yes! I'm so excited." That's what this is, the tightness in his chest. "What are we doing first?"

( ⚘ )Reedrunner only nodded at Darkpaw's apparent excitement, inadvertently ignoring his question. They took a few steps, long and loped, before they paced themself to let the apprentice catch up. Falling into discomfort at the growing silence, the feline glanced down at the apprentice. "I like- your, pebble? We can, uh, have it involved in training if you like?" Was pebble okay to say? Or was it a rock- or a friend? Maybe incorporating them would be more fun. The feline really wasn't sure what they were doing. Darkpaw's, companion, might be odd to many but Reedrunner barely batted an eye. If it made them happy, then who were they to comment.

Fumbling paws lead them across the smooth stepping stones and out of camp. A quiet voice would narrate their route, gaining confidence as they passed a variety of reeds. The warrior marked each type with a tentative clarity, pointing out which were best for weaving nests and walls. It might not be helpful, or even interesting, but it filled the air.

When the sound of water, dashed across well-worn rocks touched their ears Reedrunner brought them to a pause. Drawing in a breath, they settled on unsteady haunches. "We're near the falls. Oh, first task- what can you scent? There's normally prey uh-around here." Tracking was something the mentor could do, so it was a less intimidating starting point.

/sorry for the wait on this reply ahh

Darkpaw beams, this time genuine, up at Reedrunner as they compliment his star-gifted pebble. It's hard to talk while carrying it, but that doesn't stop the young tom from trying anyways. "S'arClan 'if'e' i' 'o me. I' 'a'es awa' all o' your sa'ness." It's near unintelligible, but Darkpaw carries on without noticing. At the prospect of including his pebble, the chocolate-furred tom gives an excited wriggle and an approving mrrow. Yes, his pebble is very important! It must be included in everything!

As he catches up with Reedrunner, wide eyes would survey the territory around them. The world was so big, it makes Darkpaw feel so small! Ears would twitch back and forth, unsure whether or not they wanted to focus on Reedrunner's gentle voice or the sounds of nature. Birds chirping, willow branches swaying in a whistling breeze, reeds rustling, the grass crunching underfoot. And there's a strange noise he couldn't quite place, similar to thunder but constant, never-ending.

So caught up in trying to figure out what the strange noise is, Darkpaw nearly runs into Reedrunner when the other pauses. He stumbles to the side, collapsing onto his rear-end with a whumpf. He's quick to recover, however, when Reedrunner asks him what he could smell. Darkpaw sets his pebble at his paws to draw in a deep breath. "Water," he answers with a dopey smile. "Grass. Oh! Air."

( ⚘ )Darkpaw's stumble almost had them following him however, Reedrunner managed to steady themself. A shy curl of their tail caught the apprentice's flank, unawares even to the cedar feline. They were further stumped at the response he gave to their question.

Grass... Water, air? The brunette tom wasn't exactly wrong. The warrior stood stunned, like a flower crushed underfoot, for a moment. How could they tell him that? Words crystalized before thoughts, their response scratched out, "Yes, I-I suppose you c-can smell that... But-" Not but, 'but' was too harsh, too mean. Catch your stutter

"Yes," was all they managed.

Gesturing unsurely, Reedrunner paced towards the thundering of the falls. The pair was a little downstream but it's rumbling, storming height was still visible. Scenting water was good, wasn't it? Darkpaw had done that. "Here-er's your water! 's where pebbles come from, right? If you can, t-try and scent for some prey." They were the mentor, they had to be specific- learn on the job. A faint taste of water vole touched their palette, this area of the territory being a good place to catch them in the side streams.