pafp i wont let you down | gift

koispots

shipwrecked.
Oct 10, 2022

Koi doesn't do this. In fact, she doesn't remember the last time she did do this. And it's silly, it's beyond stupid, because Koi doesn't even think she gave her brothers gifts. Yet there she was, nosing through the territory to find various, new-budding flowers and a shell that screamed Gloompaw. Eventually she did find one, one that had Gloompaw's coloration... Koi almost wanted to keep it, keep it in her nest, a reminder of someone that made her happy.

A reminder that she wasn't alone anymore.

She had tried to be cool about this, yet her cheeks burn in both embarrassment and nervousness. Striding in to camp with flowers and a shell, it all brings unwanted attention and she has to inhale a sharp breath to calm her nerves. Her paws feel shaky and her hearts thumping fast as she stops outside the medicine den. Gloompaw deserved this, maybe even more, because she was... A good friend, her best friend. Just my friend. Gloompaw was the medicine cat apprentice, she worked her butt off constantly, the least Koi could do was show some support. Support, oh, should she had brought herbs instead?

"G-Gloompaw? You in there? I, uh... I got you some things." she calls in after dropping the gifts at her paws, clearing her throat and nearly wanting to scream. The very thought of Glooms reaction sends butterflies through her stomach, good and bad, what if she declined? The fear makes her feel vulnerable... Small, bashful. But hopeful, because again, Gloom deserved this. Gloom deserved the very world, the earth they stood on. Everything. Why am I so nervous? It's unlike her, but Koi relishes feeling anything else but apathetic anger in the moment.

// PLS WAIT FOR @GLOOMPAW TEEHEE
"speech"​

Gloompaw was always honking, in the metaphorical sense, hoping everything looked like water rolling off her back. Very rarely did things stick with her; she can only name this growing fear of the river and a gnawing, parasitic feeling when she thought about someone still in it.

And, of course, her friendship with Koipaw.

Riverclan itself was soft to eachother, most of the time. Most of the time. She couldn't recall anyone hating eachother, really, nothing on the surface that she could be fearful of or poke at. And even if there were disagreements, they all still cared. It's what clanmates do. They care -- sometimes too much. But something about Koipaw's softness with her, the gentle handling of her feelings and thoughts. It gave her chills, she burned her fever. Maybe she was sick. She'd hide it in order to keep working, but it was a conditional illness, one only brought on by the startle of calico pelt in her vision.

As her friend stood in the entrance, she felt it wash over her.

"Coming!" she called, dropping everything at the familiarity of the voice. Trotting to meet her, Gloompaw's face lit up as she met Koipaw's eyes, before her gaze followed down to the items at her paws. Lightning-fast, her ears heated, a nervous, giddy, "Oooh?"

She could've played it cool, appreciative yet keeping herself together. Instead, she crumbled.

Unusually tentative, Gloompaw stooped to look at the shells and flowers. With a start, she realized the colour of the shell almost blended in with her paws on the sides of it. She felt exposed, vulnerable, like the quickening pace of her heart would send an outline out through her ribs. For once in her life, the openness of it, of Koipaw's gift, made her feel safe.

An embarrassing giggle left her maw, pure joy, thrilled as she looked up, unable to hide her wide grin. She went to lightly headbutt Koipaw's shoulder, hoping the other molly wouldn't mind. "I'm going to keep them forever. They're so pretty, Koi," and she didn't realize the focused look she gave her as pretty rolled off her tongue.