ripple colony in a field of dandelions wishing on every one // intro; Ripple Colony

I'LL BE THE MAGIC STORY YOU'VE BEEN TOLD

frond | 23 months | female | she/her| physically hard | mentally medium | attack in bold #674099

Seasons change, flying by in the blink of an eye, and suddenly she's another moon older. Green eyes stare up at the fading sky, painted in bright shades of gold, watching clouds pass by. A quiet sense of calm, of peace, settles heavily upon the girl where she lies on her back, daydreaming idly. Sure, she could be worrying about the sudden change in the river - first flooding, and now this - but Frond has always been one to focus on the positives; to see the light of any situation. A quiet hum slips past her lips, a tune she's never know the words to yet knows all the same, a remnant of a long lost childhood. Ear tips twitch at the sound of pawsteps upon the earth, and she quietly speaks without looking to see who it is who has joined her in the evening light. "It's pretty, isn't it? The sunset."

Last edited by a moderator:
Coyote's Heart has always been one to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. It could have been easy for him to fall into a trap of depression, especially with all the troubles the colony seems to face, but still, his positivity doesn't waver. That, he shares with Frond. He admires her for that, and finds joy in having someone in a similar mindset. Right now, there's some peace with the sunset filling the sky, hues magnificent. Sunset was easily one of his favorite times of the day, so it's no surprise he decides to join Frond. "Yes...Very pretty. How lovely is it that we're blessed with the sight every night?"

Last edited:

Another day meets its end in their home away from home. The sky paints itself in an array of colors that Dew finds himself looking up at, just as others within the colony do. Lapis-hued eyes can't help but trace the yellows, the oranges, the pinks. Can't help but follow them upwards as they shift to the night's shades.

But he's not the only one looking up at the sky. Frond speaks, a chirp about how pretty the sunset was. Pretty, yes. Dew thinks the same, but there's a solemn throb in his heart at the thought of what the sunset would look like from their old home. Before it was flood-ridden, before it was gone - left to be but a pool for the sinking sun to reflect upon.

Coyote's Heart says they've been blessed with the sight. Dew doesn't feel very blessed.

"It'd be prettier back home," the young tom notes, though his gaze never leaves the sky - though he settles to sit beside the two.

die with memories , not dreams .
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
invis.png
Kaede returned shortly after Dew’s comment, blinking sluggishly as he peered up at the sunset, head cocked. It was rather pretty, wasn’t it? Mismatched optics peered up at the lowering sun, making way for the moon to shine, bathing its friends in a blueish glow. Pretty. He thought, head cocked, staring blankly at the gathering cats.

“It’s not pretty.” He’d announce to the group, making his presence known. Pretty wouldn’t cut it. It was … more than pretty. It was pleasing to the eye … lovely, Was that it? Kaede’s brow furrowed, hoping his intention was clear. Was it? He hoped so. Kaede had never been good at expressing himself, having a tendency to irritate everyone within the vicinity.

He glanced at Frond with a questioning look as if to ask ‘Did I do that right?’
thought speech

She doesn't feel blessed to be honest. Sasha doesn't tell the others that she may have seen another cat around, nor that she might have tackled him and ran off. Of course, she made sure not to return without confirmation that they weren't following her. The only reason why she decided to do such a thing was because they were getting a little too close to the colony. Maybe the others would call her stupid for it, but she didn't care. She made sure those strange smelling cats went away. With a huff, she isn't even sure why she's here. We could be doing other things! It seems as though relaxing isn't in her vocabulary.

The frown on her face grows when Dew reminds them of their former home. It was nice before it was destroyed. Now we're all stuck here, struggling to survive. Kaede arrives and for once she agrees with someone. This sunset isn't pretty. Well, it was, but really! That wasn't important! She huffs, "Tell me why it's a blessing? If it really was, then we wouldn't be stuck here! You can look at it all you want, but I don't see it giving us food." Ah, there she goes ruining the peaceful moment. What she says is not a lie, not entirely that is. It's true that the sunset wouldn't have the power to bring back what they lost or provide food. However, it provides other things such as hope.

The way that they talk to each other perplexes Broken Moon. He stands off to the side, a motionless and unblinking statue, his eyes caught upon the glorious hues. Every color is its own touch, its own brushstroke. Beautiful. Intentional? he wonders. Maybe it is just a happy coincidence. They should be grateful for it anyway, he knows. The small tom sighs, softly sad and so– so distantly, achingly disappointed, as if they had done something wrong in a way. But it is the disappointment most would feel for rain on a beautiful day, or a puddle of mud when your paws were clean. There is no point in feeling more strongly about it than that.

"Do you think that these clouds feel any differently than the ones you saw at home?" His voice is neutral and soft; he gives them to Sasha with soft eyes, stepping closer. "They care for you the same way that the dirt does, or the home we have found. They– are home. One that you carry." His mismatched gaze returns to the clouds– maybe Sasha will be glad to rid herself of his unwavering focus. "I hope you start feeding more than your belly."
border2.png

• ooc:
  • broken moon. named for the crescent moon marking on his chest.
    —— dmab demibody, seems to find gender confusing! uses he - him, but really doesn't mind.
    —— member of the ripple colony ╱ will eventually join riverclan ╱ he's quite excited for that.
    —— unknown age, but is certainly an adult. has been in the ripple colony for quite some time.

a black tabby with high white and heterochromia, one eye being a deep, shadowy brown and the other an ice-like blue. he is shorter than normal but not beyond reason, and is thick-furred with a prominent crescent moon marking on his chest.

moon is sweet and mellow in the friendly sort of way that you cannot help but be drawn in by, and so quietly supportive that at times you can overlook him. as much as part of the ripple colony as the paws that each of them walk with; as much a part of this world as the trees, or the wind. moon has a tendency to fall in love with the small parts of life, and can often be found simply sitting and admiring whatever view catches his attention. he has a good visual memory and will likely remember what he sees for a very long time!
  • "speech"
  • looking.png

as the night rose, it seemed like the other colony members had grouped to observe. she listened idly to their chatter, joining the fray and lying down, her narrow head resting on snow capped paws. she would have to agree with dew, humming a hint of approval.

there was truly nothing that could beat the rise and set of the sun back home. the illuminated edges of jagged peaks that cast tall shadows, it was truly remarkable. although they still sat under the same sky, from here it almost felt dull. a lynx tipped ear flicked in the direction of moon and sasha's conversation. the crescent-marked tabby's sentiments sure sounded pretty, but she found herself agreeing further with sasha. "doesn't feel like a blessing," north murmured, exhaustion clear in her voice. however, she cast a nearly sympathetic glance to coyote's heart. she appreciated his positivity, they were likely to need it now more than ever.

Oh, how she wanted to claw Broken Moon's face off. She is given no room to answer, as Broken Moon continues and then proceeds to insult her. Her fur stands on end, teeth gritting in frustration. When he turns away from her, she is seething. Amber eyes glare at the older tom, tail lashing behind her. Ears perk at North's comment. She agrees with her that this doesn't feel like a blessing and that is enough to push her to answer Broken Moon. "These clouds don't feel the same and they never will. Listen Broken Moon, I don't care if you've been here longer than me or that you're wise. You, wise and glorious Broken Moon is saying is that my father doesn't matter? That he doesn't compare to some stupid clouds?! And don't give me that dumb, oh he's in the clouds or in the wind or the dirt of all things!"

Her father had died during the flood, and she'll be damned if Broken Moon told her that her father was the wind that blew through her fur. That when her fur became ruffled that was him rubbing his paw on her head. They were a colony that moved around for sure, but what she considered her home were the cats in it, not the trees or the clouds or the dirt. "Are you saying that families don't matter? That cats don't matter? What if my home was not the stupid cloud and it was my father? Or do you think everyone is just as in love with the clouds, dirt, and sky as you?" Ah, she's soured the mood hasn't she? Dumb Broken Moon, I bet he's never cried for someone before. They are your home my butt. Ugh, I need to go hunt or something. Leave it to him to get me riled up!

She rises to her paws and glances at the group that had gathered. She spares a final glace at Broken Moon and scowls, "I hope you start making room in your heart for cats." That was not necessary to add and she's aware of it, but two can play at this game. If he wanted to reprimand her, then he should be able to handle it if she did the same. With that she pads away from the group, wanting to be alone.

// out!

He did not– have love, the way that Sasha did. Not in a family, or a father. Cats were clouds, and dust, and birds; they were his world, all of it. And the way that she speaks to him now is a carving of ice. Childish, childishly, he begins to chip away. The already small cat shrinks some, wide eyes falling to a furrow. Perhaps it was his own fault, his own misunderstanding– to not think of her father, or hear of him in what she had said. Or perhaps she was simply a cat that was hurting, and he did not, for once, know how to help. Love the clouds did not mean forget, but Broken Moon does not search for the words to make her understand. The smartest thing he has done so far. He knows that, even if he does not want to.

I am saying there is life to be lived, is something the moon-splashed cat cannot put into words. And with a tongue laden with a sudden, startled pain, he knows that he would not even try. Instead he watches her go without a word said in answer, without a memory to his father, or to hers. He waits a moment more, and retreats from the group as well, with unblinking eyes now wavering in the opposite direction.
border2.png

• ooc: also out ^^;
  • broken moon. named for the crescent moon marking on his chest.
    —— dmab demibody, seems to find gender confusing! uses he - him, but really doesn't mind.
    —— member of the ripple colony ╱ will eventually join riverclan ╱ he's quite excited for that.
    —— unknown age, but is certainly an adult. has been in the ripple colony for quite some time.

a black tabby with high white and heterochromia, one eye being a deep, shadowy brown and the other an ice-like blue. he is shorter than normal but not beyond reason, and is thick-furred with a prominent crescent moon marking on his chest.

moon is sweet and mellow in the friendly sort of way that you cannot help but be drawn in by, and so quietly supportive that at times you can overlook him. as much as part of the ripple colony as the paws that each of them walk with; as much a part of this world as the trees, or the wind. moon has a tendency to fall in love with the small parts of life, and can often be found simply sitting and admiring whatever view catches his attention. he has a good visual memory and will likely remember what he sees for a very long time!
  • "speech"
  • looking.png

"...someone ought to go and pull that stick out of Sasha's backside. I'm sure she'd feel a lot better afterwards. For that matter...someone ought to pull the ones lodged up all of yours as well."
Youthful and bold, Posey pads forward to the group in time to see Broken Moon leave and she glances with sharp aqua eyes to the remaining cats, her ringed tail flicking behind her and her expression unamused. "Plenty of us are having a rough time, let's try not to ruin everyone elses moods by being a bunch of soggy kittens mewling for mother's milk, hm?"
The adults in her life continued to both fail her and act more like kits than she ever dared to and that was even WITH her mother's constant coddling like she was a newborn. The point she-cat trotted forward to join Coyote's Heart and Frond with a challenging glare directed at the rest of her colony; silently daring one of them to keep up their negative mewling because she would more than happily trounce them to give them a reason to cry.

I'LL BE THE MAGIC STORY YOU'VE BEEN TOLD
frond | 23 months | female | she/her| physically hard | mentally medium | attack in bold #674099
Its not long before frond is joined by all manner of familiar faces, a warmth fluttering her chest. Companionship is something the woman truly treasures - there is nothing in this world better, nothing that could ever be more important. "True - nothing is better than the sky back home; but we're not there anymore. we can grow and change and make new memories, a new home, a new sky" really, it all seems the same - well, maybe a star or two looks brighter or dimmer, a bit further away, and there's certainly a bit less tree cover, but the sky is one of those things frond has always seen as a constant. There is and always will be sky - the same sky, the same sun, the same moon and stars. Changing yet the same.

Kaede joins them, speaking up, and it takes moment for frond to translate kaede-speak - a fond grin on her face as she laughs - "Yes, it's not just pretty, is it, it's more than that," she hums out in agreement, eyes alight with approval. Not everything stays sunshine and rainbows though, as some of her colony mates begin to bicker, drawing only a saddened sigh from her lips as she closes her eyes and tries to block out the sound. Frond misses her home as much as any, but what use is there in dwelling on what is lost? Does one love a friend any less when they die, when they become one with the earth? She doesn't see why this should be any different.

"Let them be - their sadness has simply clouded their minds," she says gently, tiredly. Perhaps she'd best give up her cloud-watching and rest in the end. There will be much to do tomorrow after all.