IT CAME FROM THE DEPTHS 🀎 scare

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”βŠ° 🀎 βŠ±β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
Muddypaw already looked quite like his namesake, primarily brown with only some spotting and the most prominent splashed across his right eye. He blended in very well here in the marshes and dirt did not often appear on his pelt as a blemish given he matched most the filth without effort. White paws often didn't remain white while he was out and about, but as he examined each mud-dipped toe and considered cleaning up he got the idea that he might blend in a little better if he accepted the mud and indulged in it. The apprentice got to work quickly, scouting out a puddle that was not too deep, but thick with earth-colored mud that he could reach in and scoop out with careful paws; once a pile was amassed he began to roll in it. It took several attempts to get all of the white on his body covered, but eventually he was a dripping and solid swath of mud brown except for his teeth which shone in a wide grin as he examined himself in the still puddles.
The perfect camoflauge. He could hunt better like this, but more importantly...he could practice his stealth on the ultimate prey.
A warrior had been nearby when he started his task and he crept back now to try and find them, body low to the ground and looking very much like a clump of mud scooting along the marshes. The moment he spotted his victim he wriggled forward, crouched and limbs tense in preparation to spring out from hiding the moment they turned in his direction and when they did he was up, paws out and bits of dirt and debris flying as he pounced upon them, "Got you!"

• Ooc - Feel free to be the warrior he jumped out at!
    PROMPT - A competition has begun suddenly among the apprentices (and even some warriors) of who can scare the most of their clanmates, prepare to have cats jumping out at you around every corner until a winner is finally crowned.

• 73808710_6RrS0PMPdXKgQrY.png
    Muddypaw
    β€”βŠ°β‹… Apprentice of ShadowClan
    β€”βŠ°β‹… He/Him
    "SPEECH", 'THOUGHTS', ATTACK
    β€”βŠ°β‹… LH Chocolate w/low White & Blue eyes

Frostbite stalked along the marshes, determined to find something to bring back. The marsh was not a generous land, and made you work for every bit of prey you were fortunate enough to bring home. He hasn't been lucky so far, but in his hyperfocused state, he has failed to realize that he has become prey himself.

Ever closer he wanders towards Muddypaw who lies in wait, unawawre of his impending doom. He thinks he catches scent of something, but it's so stale now that its nearly gone. He hasn't picked up any other scents in the area, so he chooses to follow it, hoping he'll get lucky. He knows that thinking he'll get lucky in this marsh is akin to a joke, but who knows?

Closer and closer he gets, still oblivious... Until he gets just close enough.

Muddypaw springs from the mud and Frostbite yelps in surprise and falls back on his haunches as his son collides with him absolutely smothered in mud. "MUDDYPAW!!"

His surprise fades quickly, giving way to laughter. He hadn't even seen him, and he used the mud to his advantage. If anything, he's proud. "You little stinker!" He says, letting his fur relax. "That was very good, though. An excellent use of camouflage." He smiles at him, giving him a lick on the head even if its covered in mud.​

Sharpshadow near - constantly treads as if he has something to fearβ€” and really, he does. Every new moon is a new disaster; a new plague; a new storm that seeks to uproot everything they have that isn't mud and bog - water; a new beast. It is not paranoid, not a habit resulting from insecurity, or whateverβ€” it is justified. when a mud - covered cat suddenly leaps from the undergrowth, slamming into Frostbite at once. Sharpshadow's fur is at once, alight, though she would not scream. Frostbite held no such standard for himself, shouting in surpriseβ€” and with immediate recognition of his son.

And he is laughing, as if Muddypaw was not filthyβ€” or perhaps it was because Muddypaw is filthy, and Frostbite was laughing as he realizes he was no longer obligated to clean him. Of course, the theory is crushed into pieces of rubble as ShadowClan's illustrious lead warrior gladly gets a tongue - full of mud. No amount of love for another could be worth that, surely. Nor the amount of what can only be censorship held within you little stinker. Sharpshadow is but an onlooker, twisting his face as he attempts to keep far, far away from the splash radius of Muddypaw.

Alsoβ€” coming to her just late enough for her not to scowlβ€” Frostbite's scream probably scared away anything in the area, skinny lizards and sickly birds included. Eyes flickering to and away. She has no way to lash her tail, and she very nearly tripsβ€” chokes on her own leafbare anxieties. His lips mash together, and it's not for the sake of maintaining comradery, but because she cannot seem worried. She cannot. Whatever, whatever. " Mud might be all you eat tonight, " she days with a tick of her jaw, but it doesn't sound disgruntled. No, she doesn't think so.
EpC61GT.png

• 6jDzawf.png

• ( OF THE THINGS I'VE GOT IN MY BRAIN ) SHARPSHADOW: Formerly mentored by Smogmaw
    β™± he / she , no pref , dislikes gender neutral language ; fine with gendered terms
    β™± currently 17 moons old as of 11.12.23 / ages every 8th

dark smoke feline that stands at an above average height. Easily identifiable by her namesake – an unruly mat of fur, destined to be cluttered by inconsistencies between chimera halves. Burdened with a broken tail, often lying dead behind her in the dirt.

Anxious, antisocial, paranoid. Sharpshadow has not known peace for a single time in his life, and lives anticipating inevitable dangers to the detriment of herself and others. β€”scraping together some higher purposeβ€” making somewhat of an effort to be " likeable "
    heavy ic opinions! he's irrational and mean </3

Screechpaw is like Muddypaw, in some ways, with splotchy-patterned fur good for camouflaging in the marshes they live in. Though, Muddypaw's fur is more akin to his name, more able to hide in plain sight in the marshes' daylight than Screechpaw could, bound to hide in sun-filtered shadows instead.

He's startled when Frostbite's son jumps into sight from seemingly out of nowhere, making for some excitement on this otherwise boring hunting patrol. Though Screechpaw isn't going to admit that to Muddypaw of all cats, isn't going to admit that his fur bristled against his neck, that his paws staggered back as the lead warrior ahead calls after his son. His former caretaker's children are still weird in his eyes - even if they're hardly squabbling babies these days.

The shadow-furred tom can't help the odd sense of envy that arises in him as he watches Frostbite praise his son, tail flicking in annoyance behind him. "I could do better," he insists, deflecting from the attention the mud-covered apprentice receives.

He bets he could hide somewhere good, bets he could scare far more cats - without having to cover himself in mud, even.
border2.png
  • 70927217_Pt9pw7V8M5Nsv4Q.png

SCREECHKIT β€£ SCREECHPAW, Apprentice of ShadowClan
    β€” Forestshade x Vulturemask
    β€” AMAB; He/Him
    β€” A black/red tabby chimera tom with mismatched green eyes.
    β€” Mentored by Chilledstar
    β€” "Speech"; Attack

✦ο½₯゚: * β€” His loud entrance into the world bestows upon him a name apt for the path the tom forges. As the troublemaker of his unknowingly half-clan litter, Screechpaw is bound to be known for his curiosity-led escapes and poor attendance as he steps foot into his apprenticeship.

" I'M AN ANGEL " ?
TELL ME WHAT YOU MEAN BY THAT

siltcloud β™• 18 moons β™– female β™˜ she/her β™™ shadowclan warrior

69091309_GOXuXj16xpF4X6l.png
Siltcloud has never cared much for games - not even in her kithood, let alone by the time she'd been made a 'paw. Seeing muddypaw jump out at frostbite, all smiles and pride, sends tail lashing and a frown across her face - it's certainly unexpected. He should be doing something better with his time - not messing about. And yet, she can't help but feel a begrudging amount of respect - " Even I didn't notice you, " she murmurs, though green eyes quickly flick back down to peer at her own apprentice. " How about you @CATERPILLARPAW. ? were you able to scent muddypaw at all? " she certainly can't - jaws parting to catch only the overwhelming smell of earth and decay.

━ actions & " speech, " & 'thoughts/quotes' ━

I ' M - A - N I G H T M A R E ?━ I - K N O W - W H A T - Y O U - M E A N - B Y - T H A T

BLINDED BY THE LIGHTS

"uh-uhm... a little bit! i-if i focused... i-i guess there is a hint of his s-scent under the m-mud... everyone h-here smells a lot m-mud and s-swamp."

she insists, pressing against siltcloud as she steps forward, parting her jaw slightly to sniff the air fully. she could smell it a bit better now, but mostly the earthy scent that came with it. that was a good use of camouflage, right? she already can't see, and hardly being able to smell muddypaw made her completely at his mercy... if he wanted to hurt her. she hoped not. her ears pinned back slightly as she turned towards siltcloud.

"am i-i gonna have t-to learn to do that?"