IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT | hickory

Bad weather and leafbare seemed synonymous, but there were different types of bad weather. Scorching sun and blistering cold were both awful, but one could not say they were the same thing, the same as a hurricane could not be equated to a drought. When Pebblestep pictured leafbare bad weather, they imagine snowstorms, cats needing to cuddle close to one another to survive, camps snowed in and clanmates needing to work together to clear them. When they stared at the sky through the tangle of branches that day, they had not expected it to be so grey. Slates and blacks mixed upon the endless canvas like a tortoiseshell's pelt, it was as if it were nighttime already with the way they seemed to swallow the sun, but he had the dawn patrol with Hickoryskip, and the pair were only just returning. Wide eyes shifted multiple times to the fawn feline, wondering if her whiskers quivered just as quickly as his seemed to. He remembered his first night in the warrior's den, how loud the sky had shouted at them, how terrifying it had been even when surrounded by family.

"I hope it doesn't storm..." He mithered, moving closer to the other. He looked for annoyance and, when he didn't see it, relaxed his lashing tail somewhat. He wasn't sure how he'd earned such patience from his clanmates, but he appreciated it. "T-they say that the thunder is StarClan's stomping paws, but... I wish our ancestors didn't have to be so scary when they were mad." What had maddened them? Had a cat sinned in another clan? Had ThunderClan sinned? Oh Stars, what if he'd sinned? Pebblestep wasn't sure what he had done wrong that particular day, the patrol had been uneventful... but perhaps that was because he had missed something vital, or perhaps... perhaps... No, no, he would work himself into a frenzy if he continued. Swallowing a lump in his throat, Pebblestep did his best to avoid the cloud's expectant gaze, finding solace in his paws instead - luckily for both of them, the walk back to camp was well rehearsed and did not require the lilac cat's full attention at this point. "I don't understand how cats can sleep through it, it's... so loud." His fur bristled at the thought and his head sunk beneath his shoulders, hoping to make himself as small as possible to get the mercy of StarClan that day.

[ a particularly dark, clouded sky - @Hickoryskip ]

Reactions: Hickoryskip
Leaf-bare was never an enjoyable experience when it comes to weather, but it feels like this particular one wanted to be daring. Hickoryskip swears that there’s been more rain this season than snow, which she knows isn’t the truth. But still, as the sky continues to be blanketed by differing shades of grey, she prays to StarClan that she doesn’t end up soaked. At least Pebblestep was with her currently, as they were both on a patrol together; she wouldn’t have to suffer alone in the cold. Hickoryskip immediately notices how anxious he is when they make it back to camp, and shoots him a sympathetic look.

Thunder isn’t something that bothers her that much, though it’s not like she’d prefer it if she had to choose the weather. “Maybe it’s more like, we can hear their footsteps clearer? No, that doesn’t make sense… well, I doubt it’s StarClan bringing storms to us anyways.” She’d like to think that they wouldn’t purposefully make the clan suffer, but what does she know? She wouldn’t understand how the stars function until she’s passed away herself. “It is very loud though, indeed. I don’t really understand either, other than just having to power through it. But is there a reason it bothers you in particular?” She asks him out of curiosity.​

Last edited: