it's defnitely NOT baby fever [orangestar]

Untitled419_20230710182642.png

HE SAID, "WELL MY NAME'S JOHNNY, AND IT MIGHT BE A SIN
BUT I'LL TAKE YOUR BET, AND YOU'RE GONNA REGRET, CUZ IM THE BEST THERE'S EVER BEEN."

Johnny was a pretty happy cat. He liked to think he had everything he needed in life; good twolegs, good friends, a fulfilling life as a lead warrior in Skyclan. He was grateful for what he had and tried very much not to dwell on the few things he didn't, but sometimes...

Well, sometimes it was hard to ignore what was constantly unfurling right under his nose.

Family and proper kin were the one thing that Johnnyflame had never been able to replicate in his life. It was commonplace in the kittypet world to be taken away t six or seven weeks old and to be placed in a twolegs home, and while Johnny loved his people and the life he had with them, it did mean he hadn't been able to grow up with his siblings or parents. And so, naturally, there was a part of the golden-eyed tom that had always regretted missing out on it, especially when Skyclan was teeming with 'family-energy'.

It was one of those things that he didn't realize he was missing until he found himself faced with it on a daily basis, and try as he might to distract himself- to remain happy with what he had- he found himself slipping. He caught himself wondering what it would be like to have a mate, to know that he was loved in that way by someone. He found himself wondering if it might not be so bad to discover he was growing rounder with kits, even if it wasn't something he'd ever considered for himself before. That in itself was a whole conversation he didn't even know how to have- about identity and what would feel right versus what would feel wrong.

But the fact that he'd thought about it at all had to mean something, right?

He was in camp when he found himself falling victim to his own curiosities again, golden eyes having chosen to settle on Orangestar and one of her kids only to find himself feeling off again; some strange mixture of longing and doubt and frustration.

By the time he realized he was staring, it was too late to pretend he wasn't, Orangestar now seated by herself and glancing his way. He offered her a nod as he wandered over to join her, debating on whether or not to make up an excuse. He could always say he'd been waiting to come over to ask about something work related...

"Your really good at that- the whole 'parenting' thing." he noted as he took a seat beside her. "Guess some cats are just meant for it, aye?"

Untitled33_20230906192924.png

Orangestar sends Cherrypaw on her way with a small purr, content with their conversation for the most part. It had been a brief interlude, the leader snatching a moment with her eldest kit to discuss idle things like when the snow might let up, and nearly strain herself trying not to mention the calico's upcoming assessment.

The weight of eyes on her is becoming familiar by now, and Orangestar takes a moment to sit outside her den (is it her den? Hers and Slate's, him sleeping next to the entrance like a guard? She doesn't know, and does not care to think on it) and glance around the camp. The look she passes Johnnyflame, potentially zoned out looking in her general direction, is questioning; even more so when he stands and pads towards her, striking up a conversation about parenting of all things.

Some cats are just meant for it. It clicks, somewhere in her mind, that Johnny is talking about her. Oh. The first half of his conversation registers.

"Alice is. She always had a way with kits." Orangestar diverts, passing a glance towards the nursery where the tortoiseshell point no doubt was regaling the kits of the Clan with some far-fetched tale. Her mother had been a lifesaver when she'd been cooped up in the nursery, anxious to peer out and get some fresh air. She can't imagine how Butterflytuft and Fantastream must feel, with the addition of the new code during their tenure. Now Bobbie and Hollywhisper, too, would feel the claustrophobic grip of the holly bush and the shrill squeals ... Orangestar shudders to herself.

"I never thought I'd have a litter of my own." A pause, the faint memory of Hazecloud's incredulous exclamation bringing some measure of amusement to her maw for a moment. She'd have to ask Lichentail how the queen is at the next Gathering. But for now, her eyes slide towards her Clanmate. "Do you plan to have kits someday, Johnnyflame?"

•  
  •  
  • Untitled_Artwork-3.png

ORANGESTAR ✧ she/her, leader of skyclan | nine lives
    " a scarred white-and-ginger she-cat with brown eyes."

— single ; mentoring springpaw
    — speech is in #E3B2A9
    — art by deja for meme week!

• Love
Reactions: pikaihao
Untitled419_20230710182642.png

HE SAID, "WELL MY NAME'S JOHNNY, AND IT MIGHT BE A SIN
BUT I'LL TAKE YOUR BET, AND YOU'RE GONNA REGRET, CUZ IM THE BEST THERE'S EVER BEEN."

Johnny nodded. He could relate to that- the thought of never thinking you would have one. "Unexpected or not, they've grown into fine young cats." he noted with a fond smile, remembering when they were just kits causing trouble around camp. The little rascals. It'd been a long time since he was a part of any of their games, letting himself be mauled by kit teeth or bringing things for them and the other youngsters to play with.

Orangestars question left his gaze fleeing from her own, purposefully turning to glance at anything else as he shrugged his shoulders non-commitally. "Plan would be a strong word." he replied, "It kind of takes two, aye? And I don't exactly have any suitors looking my way." he said with a chuckle that was just shy of genuine.

Romance was a complicated topic for Johnny. Kits, even more so. While biologically he could have them, he'd never really thought about if he would want to. Would he even be good at it- the pregnancy? The nursing? Where would he even have them- in his twolegs nest where he'd be kept away from Skyclan for ages? Or in nursery, where he wouldn't be able to properly return back to his humans?

"It's... complicated." he admitted with a heavy breath. Figfeather and Fanta had left him wary about stress a daylight warrior being with a fulltime one could cause, and he doubted he'd find another of his own kind with as much of a commitment to the clan as he had that also happened to be a perfect match for him. You just couldn't have it all.

Untitled33_20230906192924.png